It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LX-600u] Audio Issues
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 15:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi folks. I've had my Panasonic LX-600u for almost a year now, and it so far has been my favorite LaserDisc player of all time, though my particular model has some niggles, and it only happens on select discs. I've had issues with the player's audio output. Some discs have the digital soundtrack distorted with distracting poppy, clicky audio, and this affects music, sound effects, and dialogue. And no, this issue has nothing to do with laser rot. Sometimes this doesn't happen later on with the same disc. Other times, on other discs, the audio drops out and becomes silent for half-a-second, and this happened as far as I know once in my 1990 The Abyss LD and a bit more frequently with my DTS Vertigo LD, even though I was able to watch the film weeks ago without any sound issues. Also, I cannot play CDs, even though I used to be able to on this player, and my Harmony remote can't toggle between the digital and analog tracks.

I mainly use an optical (TOSLINK) cable for LaserDisc audio connected to an almost 11-year-old AVR, as well as 2x RCA for analog-only discs.

I'm on a work break so I can't give you examples now, but I've read it's usually an issue dealing with a weak laser on these Panasonic units. I've heard there's no way you can adjust the laser unit on Panasonics, and you'd have to replace the entire laser assembly, which I had no luck finding online. I may be incorrect on some things, but I figure I can ask for help here with more seasoned people.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic LX-600u Audio Issues
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 03:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Clean the pickup lens.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic LX-600u Audio Issues
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 04:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Since there are no parts for any Panasonic players you have to do searches and trial and error.
Prime's post is a very good place to start.
I would also search and try to figure out other fixes that may or may not work for your player.
Kurtis posted something about how Panasonic's are only adjusted with switches???? I can't remember and I would try to search it up as it may help you.
Good luck.

Post subject: Re: [Panasonic LX-600u] Audio Issues
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 19:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The test is to play analog sound and if issue disappears the lens is either dirty or getting weak. If this is your issue cleaning may well solve it but if it doesn't it will need to be replaced.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 00:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My Harmony 650 remote has no way to toggle the player between digital and analog tracks, so until I find a way to access that function, nope.

I've also heard contradictory statements about cleaning the lens of an LD player, like the LD spins so fast virtually all dust is removed from the lens during playback. I did open up the case and the lens "looked" pretty clean. I couldn't tell if undesired obstructions were on the lens or not, and I never touched it. So it may just be the matter of a weak lens.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 13:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Not sure what to tell you, that's the way to test it, can't hurt to clean the lens and see if that fixes if you are unable to test analog.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]