It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:23

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Theta Voyager (919 clone) disc drawer issue
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 22:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello everyone

i recently picked this up, initially it worked fine however after transporting it home i have the following issue, i put a dvd in and it began to play i then went to eject the disc and now the drawer wont open.
I can hear a motor spinning from the central area but the drawer doesnt want to budge :think: i have removed the top clamp as it is held in place by just a few screws to try and get a better view of whats happening, their is a small motor that i can see spinning but can make out whats missing/happening, i have taken a picture of the area that seams to be making noises (doing something), has anyone got a clue as to what this could be :?:
Its a lovely machine and looks like new inside so would be a shame if it can't be fixed.

I believe its a pioneer 919 machine at its heart, but not 100% sure

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments:
20141128_195412_resized.jpg
20141128_195412_resized.jpg [ 61.79 KiB | Viewed 4066 times ]

Post subject: Re: Theta Voyager (919 clone) disc drawer issue
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 06:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What you need to try is with the power off move the pickup toward the back by manually turning the black worm wheel on the motor. After toward the back power the unit back on and see what happens. If it works then the micro switch may be intermittent.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 20:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ok so ive had another play......

the small black spindle seams to spin fine, the only cog i can get to (just) is by opening the small dvd flap and turning the white cog on the left, this appears to slowly lift the main mechanism. Then after turning the machine on the tray will eject.
so ive tried the machine with laserdisc and it works fine opens and closes every time, when i put a dvd in again it plays fine however when i come to edject the disc it jams again :crazy:

anyone know what this could be?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 14:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

smitken wrote:
ok so ive had another play......

the small black spindle seams to spin fine, the only cog i can get to (just) is by opening the small dvd flap and turning the white cog on the left, this appears to slowly lift the main mechanism. Then after turning the machine on the tray will eject.
so ive tried the machine with laserdisc and it works fine opens and closes every time, when i put a dvd in again it plays fine however when i come to edject the disc it jams again :crazy:

anyone know what this could be?

Might have something to do with the microswitch... It's the actual dvd laser hitting the spindle motor that causes this error!
I've seen several dvl units with this problem. Had to contact a friend to find the problem . Changed some microswitch and it was all good to go...
Maybe Kbahr can help out on this....? :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds a lot like the problem I had with my DVL 919E. There's a thread about it here:

DVL 919E Tray Problems (Solved!)

In the end it turned out to be a broken peg on the cam plate, which sounds like the part you're moving manually through the DVD draw (which is what I had to do).

Replacing the part was easy and made the player run like a dream. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 19:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Sounds a lot like the problem I had with my DVL 919E. There's a thread about it here:

In the end it turned out to be a broken peg on the cam plate, which sounds like the part you're moving manually through the DVD draw (which is what I had to do).

Replacing the part was easy and made the player run like a dream. I hope this helps.

Thanks mate, I'll take the cover off again and look through your post, I'm reluctant to dig too much as I don't really have the skillet for this type of repair :shifty: and I don't want to ruin the machine as I'm pretty sure it's a relatively easy fix for someone with the required knowledge.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 20:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

smitken wrote:
Thanks mate, I'll take the cover off again and look through your post, I'm reluctant to dig too much as I don't really have the skillet for this type of repair :shifty: and I don't want to ruin the machine as I'm pretty sure it's a relatively easy fix for someone with the required knowledge.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again

I'm no expert myself, I'm not a very technical person when it comes to hardware but once I'd worked out what the problem was it was easy to fix and a real confidence boost. It's really gratifying to think "I made that work!"

Best of luck, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 22:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:

ive had another look inside my machine and reffered back to your post however i dont think the issue is the same
ive taken a pic and the pin is ok, thanks for the advise though

Attachments:
20141204_193619_resized.jpg
20141204_193619_resized.jpg [ 93.93 KiB | Viewed 3940 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 22:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

krbahr wrote:
What you need to try is with the power off move the pickup toward the back by manually turning the black worm wheel on the motor. After toward the back power the unit back on and see what happens. If it works then the micro switch may be intermittent.

i think you may be onto something, ive made a youtube video of the jamming dvd section, when i removed the top clamp and dvd the laser mechanism near the black worm wheel seems to snap back in place? then i can move the pickup back as you suggested, then when i power up the machine resets ok

any idea which microswitch may be at fault and what sort of a job would it be to replace?

heres the link to the youtube vid

http://youtu.be/kwmNk60YRso

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 09:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The only thing the white piece does is make the DVD tray come out instead of the whole laserdisc size tray. In my mind this is a gimmick and just something that can fail, it is not needed. Try taking out the white piece as sometimes it gets bent and can jam against the pickup and then see how it works. I think that is the little pop sound your hearing when initially turning the gear with your finger. Or make sure the arm at the end of the with piece goes straight back, not bent to the right or left and not bent down. That little black tab from the other thread is about the drawer being properly recognized as closed.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 10:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

krbahr wrote:
The only thing the white piece does is make the DVD tray come out instead of the whole laserdisc size tray. In my mind this is a gimmick and just something that can fail, it is not needed. Try taking out the white piece as sometimes it gets bent and can jam against the pickup and then see how it works. I think that is the little pop sound your hearing when initially turning the gear with your finger. Or make sure the arm at the end of the with piece goes straight back, not bent to the right or left and not bent down. That little black tab from the other thread is about the drawer being properly recognized as closed.

Thanks krbahr

The thing is without a dvd in the drawer opens and closes every time :problem: its only when it has a dvd in that it jams, very frustrating

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 00:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I think I'll have to move this on as it's so big it won't fit in any cabinet I own :o
If anyone is interested drop me a line :D

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 02:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sometimes the hole in the middle of the DVD is just barely too tight and it pops off and jumps as the transport lowers. If this is happening made sure the lower clamp part on the spindle motor does have anything sticking to the smaller ring or that the DVD does not have anything in the opening. LD players grip CD's and DVD's much more secure so they can get stuck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]