It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Theta Data II does not play video
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 05:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I recently picked up a theta data ii (phillips cdv 400) as a hobby project. When it arrived, it had patchy performance. Sometimes it will load a disc, sometimes it will not. I'm getting nothing out of the composite video when it does play a disc. The on screen display will come up when it recognizes the disc and "play" will flash, but will only output black when playing. When trying to play a cd, sometimes it will play, others, there will be a clicking noise. I'm wondering if it has a bad laser pickup as these are notorious for that. Is it possible it just needs an adjustment?

Post subject: Re: Theta Data II does not play video
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 16:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

We all have to remember that these players were so top end that really they shouldn't need any "minor" adjustments or tweeks.
If they do then that is telling us there is some possible issue that may be happening that we don't know about.

Those trim pots DO NOT just move on their own.
So this is showing us two possible situations.

1- someone was inside the player who didn't know what they were doing and messing the pots up.
2- something is starting to decay i.e. laser, caps etc. and needs tweeking to push it a little more and keep it running.

Yes there are cases like I believe the 70X series where they were not properly aligned when new and do need to be correctly
adjusted but there are other cases too.

This is not to say that you shouldn't tweek any pots if that's the problem but that its really a temporary fix and could be another issue.

I am not a tech and there is only 1 tech still around on the forum sometimes.
Good luck with the player and getting it to play.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 10:59 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Is the tech Kurtis Bahr?

Also, the player has definitely been "serviced". The screws are mismatched, but it doesn't look like anything is changed in side. My going theory is the caps are falling out of tolerance and the laser pickup is on it's last legs. It's a low output pickup to begin with. I read somewhere else, someone had some luck with adjusting it's output.

I've ordered a pioneer service disc, have the service manual for the Phillips CDV-400, and have an old scope. I was going to make a run at it for fun. The player was only $75, so...

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019, 19:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have one with basically same symptoms except mine plays CDs (and LD sound) just fine, there is just no video coming out of the composite. I just figured some wacky audiophile back in the day disabled the video fearing extra noise or something...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]