It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Marantz LV-510] Skipping
PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 23:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I’m new to this group but discovered Laserdiscs back in the mid 70’s at a store called LaBelles.
My son found my original Pioneer player and discs and has started collecting the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones. We are working on this project together. I have owned various LD player for almost 40 years but this is the first unit I picked up that was not working. After reading history and posts on this site I have learned more in the past week than I knew while owning various LD players in 40+ years.

I obtained a use Marantz LV-510 that has a skipping issue. With a CD it will play around 30 seconds (+/- 5 seconds) on the first track before stopping. When I restart the player and forward it to subsequent tracks each will play for around 30 seconds then start skipping to other tracks.
When playing a LD it runs for about 10 seconds then stops. The same issue occurs if I am playing side “A” or the player moves the laser to side “”B”.

On others posts regarding this same issue I have read about debris found in the track that moves the laser and motor “dead spots’.
I picked up a copy of the Service Manual but have yet to locate a remote control or owners manual.
We examined the track and motor gears associated with the laser pick-up mechanism with magnification and didn’t see any damage or debris.

We can get the unit into “Test Mode” but since we don’t have a remote cannot get it to Mode 5 to check that the Tilt Offset is between 6 & 8 on the monitor.

The screws on the cover were loose so I imagine someone may have been inside the unit “tweaking” things.

Would the best course of action be to obtain the GGV1003 LD test disc since I have a oscilloscope, frequency generator, volt meter and experience troubleshooting and testing electronics?

Kind regards.

Post subject: Re: Marantz LV-510 Skiping
PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 00:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the detailed post.

It looks like the LV-510 might be a CLD-D503 with optical added. For the remote, I'm assuming the model is RC510LV. The only test disc available is GGV1069 which will work for you. https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=GGV1069&mfg=Pioneer

It does sound like someone went in and started making "adjustments".

Centering can cause track skipping as well, but it can't be too far off if the CD plays. The centering adjustment point might have a locking compound on it, so you can see if it has been tampered with. Tracking needs to be checked as well.

If you email the manual to manual@lddb.com, that would be helpful.

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 18:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for the input and tips cplusplus.
I believe the next step would be to locate a remote control that will allow me to use the troubleshooting disc. The remote control for this unit seems to be scarce. I’ve searched a few places on line but have yet to locate one. Once the local thrift shops here open again I’ll plan on visiting to see if one is stashed in a box of remotes.
It appears the torque paint/locking compound on the centering screws is still intact so I don’t believe those have been adjusted.
The copy of the service manual I obtained is a paper copy and the schematics are shop folded inside the booklet so they are quite large. I don’t know if a local copying service would scan the manual and schematics for me so I can upload a copy.

Kind regards

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 18:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it were me, I'd give RC500LV or RC520LV a shot.

Post subject: Re: [Marantz LV-510] Skipping
PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 21:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I purchased a Marantz RC520LV remote control but ran into a new issue.
The front display has stopped working. I verified all of the ribbon cables to the power board (VWR-1200B) were firmly installed into the connectors. When I took voltage measurements on the board the -30V that provides power to the display reads 0 volts. When I looked closer the capacitor between this voltage and ground was swollen and measured zero ohms across the leads. (Dead short)
It appears the secondary side of the transformer that supplies this voltage is no longer working.

From what I have seen on various other forums it appears this board (or something similar) is used in a number of Laserdisc players.

1) Does anyone offer repair of the power supply board to avoid the need to ship the entire unit?
2) Since I’m new to this forum do power supply boards come up for sale?
3) Should I just look for a Laserdisc player locally that would have a similar power supply board and purchase it to use for parts?

I purchased a paper copy of the Service Manual on eBay and it has some of the components for the power supply board listed but does not list any of the electrolytic capacitor part numbers or values. As far as I can see it does not list the part number of the transformer. The transformer is stamped with “C1X3A 473CM”.

This is a great learning curve so far. Since I have a working Laserdisc player this will just be a back-up unit if I can get it running again. ;)

Thanks and kind regards,

Post subject: Re: [Marantz LV-510] Skipping
PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 03:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would go ahead and replace all of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. The capacitance and voltage is written on them (i.e. 470uf 10v). If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, there is probably someone who can repair this power supply for you (either near you or via shipping it) since this is not a laserdisc specific issue.

FYI the VWR-1200B is in the CLD-D503 and the LA-2500.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]