It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Faroudja LD-1000 tracking problems
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2021, 02:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello all. After very infrequent use I have started to put my laserdisc player back into full rotation. To my delight the first disc I spun played perfectly (it was a 2 sided CLV disc).

I started having some tracking issues with the 2nd CLV disc I played. The trouble begins during play back of side A about 15 min into it and continues to get worse. After alot of "testing" I discovered that the tracking problem is only related to side A. If I flip the disc over and specify the player to play side B, it does so perfectly.

This issue doesn't occur with all CLV disc's but perhaps 50% of the ones I tried. I haven't had any issues with CAV titles.

Hoping for a simple fix, I lubricated the rails pictured below with white lithium grease. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

Here are 3 clips that show the problem I am having. The first two show the tracking issue and the third reveals the sound the player makes when it seems to be having the tracking problem (I would describe it as a groaning noise).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Faroudja LD-1000 tracking problems
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2021, 02:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This looks like a CLD-99. Side A and B have separate centering and tangential adjustments but I wouldn't expect either of these to be off if it has just been sitting in your home.

The last video sounds like there is an obstruction on the bottom white track the pickup traverses. Can you make sure it is not obstructed with something?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2021, 03:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
This looks like a CLD-99. Side A and B have separate centering and tangential adjustments but I wouldn't expect either of these to be off if it has just been sitting in your home.

The last video sounds like there is an obstruction on the bottom white track the pickup traverses. Can you make sure it is not obstructed with something?

You are correct about this being a CLD-99 underneath. In the last video I have the player "paused" but that is the same noise I hear when it begins having problems tracking.

There doesn't appear to be obstructions in the track. What is strange is that I can have a problem with one disc, put in another and it will play fine. Then, put back in the problem disc and have the same issue. However, if I play the problem side as "side B" it plays fine.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2021, 04:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Judging from the last video, that noise sounds like it could be a bad bearing in the spindle motor. Does it have that sound too when on Side B?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2021, 00:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Very well could be the spindle since the CLD-99 spindles seem problematic. Wouldn't both sides and all CLVs to cause the sound though?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2021, 00:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

First two video's look like a servo adjustment to me. The last one cannot tell, Could be laser movement, tilt movement, or the lens tapping the disc surface. Only guesses can be made from the last video.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 01:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

While the tracking issue was intermittent on side A it is now happening on side B as well. It seems the more disc's I spin the less enthusiastic the player is to actually play them...

kbahr: Is a servo adjust something anyone can do or does one need a test disc and oscilloscope to perform this?

cplusplus: That is a possibility...Hopefully not the case!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 02:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You can try turning the tracking servo gain CCW to see if it improves but for property setting yes you need to put it into test mode with the test disk, signal generator and oscilloscope to adjust.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]