It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CDV488] Disc tray chattering on eject and basic info
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2022, 02:02 
First post
First post

Hello, I’m a new member here looking for some info and help with the disc tray on my CDV488.
My father bought this originally from Best Buy on sale back in 89’/90’. I still have the very cool and massive remote. As I call it the star base remote.
Any ways after the player had been sitting for some time I fired her up a few days ago to watch die hard. But no luck the tray belt was clearly slipping. I pulled the cover off of her and replaced the belt with a thicker O-ring. Problem solved the player now works great as I got it to eject, play a cd and LD. One slight problem I noticed is that when ejecting the tray it develops tray Chatter after sliding out half way and will continue until the try is fully extended out. Retracting back in it’s smooth as can be. Also when the tray starts to chatter the whole mechanism will slow down. I checked the o-ring it doesn’t appear to be slipping. All the gears appear to be operating smoothly from what I see.
One thing to note if I eject and retract the try in the middle of operation it operates flawlessly. But as soon as it goes though the whole cycle of returning home and I go to eject again it’s will chatter.

Since I’m new to the LD hobby was hopping to gain some knowledge on the CDV488 from what I gather the remote is what makes this unit. But as for audio and video what are the pros and cons?

Attachments:
7DD4E10A-C907-45C5-9FAE-1C872EF19DD2.jpeg
7DD4E10A-C907-45C5-9FAE-1C872EF19DD2.jpeg [ 114.34 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]
5655E1BF-3415-4EC8-B656-E99B50AD2657.jpeg
5655E1BF-3415-4EC8-B656-E99B50AD2657.jpeg [ 136.96 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CDV488] Disc tray chattering on eject and basic info
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2022, 10:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My 1st guess regarding your issue is that it's dried up grease on the gearing that needs to be cleaned off and then re-lubricated w/ white lithium grease. This wouldn't be surprising since you said the player was stored away and that stagnation accelerates the hardening of grease. The 2nd guess is a damaged gear as I had this issue recently w/ my Pioneer CLD-M90 w/ the chattering issue on open and close (since it only happens on one direction with your player, it does make me think it's a grease issue).

In any case, I would stop using the player until you find out which is the issue. If you continue to let it run in this manner, a gear might eventually fail and that doesn't help since there are no replacement parts. And that leads to if a gear is already damaged, you'll just have to live with it or find a donor machine to get a spare part (not easy to do).

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]