It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: [CDV400] Successful repair (PAL)  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 11:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Although the Philips CDV400 (PAL only) player is bottom of the heap as far as laserdisc players are concerned, I could not resist picking it up at the local flea market for only 5 Euros. I figured the parts inside were at least worth that in case of a bad optical pickup since it uses the notorious KHS 130A. And besides, I was told it was a non-working unit when I bought it. The symptoms were simple: The unit simply did not power up with no obvious relay clicking after connecting it to the power line, although the red LED indicator on the front panel showed it was in standby mode like it was simply ready to be turned on from the power switch. Naturally, when the power button was pushed nothing at all would happen and it just remained dead. All three of the fuses checked fine but still I figured there must be some problem on the power board or an open relay coil. I quickly found an open 1 ohm !/2 watt resistor used as a current limiter in the 12 volt supply. There are two of them in series in each leg of the DC from the rectifier. After checking the bridge rectifier and all the supply caps I could find nothing wrong at all so I just replaced both of the 1 ohm 1/2 watt resistors that are practically hidden on the board with new ones and the unit fired right up with the relay clicking on and the front panel illuminated. The player worked flawlessly after that with no more problems whatsoever. So, if anyone else has a problem like this and everything else checks out OK with this model, check those two carbon resistors that are not obvious.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]