It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:12

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: LD-V2020 Karaoke BGV player
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 21:24 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello!

I took a gamble on yahoo auctions and pulled the trigger on a LD-V2020 player listed as junk/untested for 15$, as I saw almost no information about it and I was a bit curious...also it looks to me pretty rad ;P

So, the player is actually working (yay!) and while I eventually realized it's probably just a variant of a CLD-95/CLD-919 (Japanese model) it was definitively interesting taking a look!

So, the player has no buttons/commands, except for the ones visible on the front panel; A/B side selector, repeat mode, audi off, disk insert/remove, remote input on/off and of course the main switch.
The lower cover is just a cover, no buttons hidden...the unit philosophy is clearly focused on "if it's not there, it won't break"
Everything is metal, and there is convenient lid on the top of th elaser pickup, so it can be cleaned without removing anything.

on the back, not much, two video output, one genlock overlay input, LDP remote input and L/R analog audio RCA.

Using a wired remote provide access the all the functions:

now, the internals:

a closeup of the pickup:

what do you guys think? Does it share parts with the CLD-95/97 players? My guess this is a 1991 player, but could't find a year stamp yet....too bad it has no digital audio PCB :(

Last edited by carrboroman on 08 Jan 2021, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LD-V2020 Industrial player
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 21:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Pretty unusual for an industrial player to have no serial connector of any kind at all.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 22:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Very interesting find. Looks more like a CLD-3080 on the inside than a CLD-95. It should share the pickup with the CLD-3080, CLD-95 and CLD-97.

That spindle looks different though, or at least the part where the disc sits. It is larger like on some of the older Pioneers.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 23:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the player does not have digital field memory, I think it’s a CLD-2080 clone which is still a sister chassis to the CLD-3080, CLD-95, and CLD-97.

cplusplus wrote:

That spindle looks different though, or at least the part where the disc sits. It is larger like on some of the older Pioneers.

I think the spindle is built this way since it's an LD only player that would not require the CD/LD spindle design.

Last edited by ldfan on 03 Jan 2022, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 01:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
If the player does not have digital field memory, I think it a CLD-2080 clone which is still a sister chassis to the CLD-3080, CLD-95, and CLD-97.

If memory serves me correctly, the CLD-2080 doesn't have the top board. I should have taken topdown photos (at the very least) of all the units I've worked on. I keep thinking I'll be able to remember. I think I have a CLD-2080 clone somewhere I can check.

ldfan wrote:
I think the spindle is built this way since it's an LD only player that would not require the CD/LD spindle design.

Ah, makes sense. Didn't notice that it wasn't a CLD! Even better in my book.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 02:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, the CLD-2080 doesn't have the top board. I should have taken topdown photos (at the very least) of all the units I've worked on. I keep thinking I'll be able to remember. I think I have a CLD-2080 clone somewhere I can check.

You could very well be correct about that :thumbup: .

Some of the differences that makes this more like a 3080 is that it does appear to have the separate audio and video boards on opposite sides of the tray (the 2080 has what I believe is a combined AV board so both the audio and video jacks are situated on one side of the player).

Either way, it's definitely a nicely built machine w/ clean lines.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 03:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah, I forgot the RCA placement was grouped on the CLD-2080. Here is the inside of a ProScan PSLD 40 clone I have:
Attachment:
File comment: ProScan PSLD 40
PSLD_40.jpg
PSLD_40.jpg [ 287.52 KiB | Viewed 4680 times ]

Quite bare, which makes these pretty much donor units. The picture quality disparity between the CLD-2080 and CLD-3080 seems to be more significant than the later units.

Back to this LD-V2020, I did some digging and it looks like it was some sort of BGV player for a karaoke system:

"By linking the X2000 and the separately sold (LD-V2020), the BGV that matches the image of the song is automatically selected and played from the images of 56 scenes for 100 turns." - A Google translation of a Nikkei Sangyo Shimbun article.

What does BGV mean?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 18:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

thanks everyone for the info! I do have a CLD-97, and if I understand correctly, the pickup (maybe the spindle) may be swappable? that would make me feel better about sourcing parts if I will ever need it (^_^!)
Also, didn't find that karaoke reference when looking online, that's so interesting!

The player has digital image memory for still, yes, and one thing that puzzles me is that before playing a disc, it does some sort of "self test": spinning A, then B , then back to A and playing that side normally (and allowing me to select A/B without issues)... is that a well known behavior of some sort?

Cheers!

Max

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 20:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

carrboroman wrote:

The player has digital image memory for still, yes, and one thing that puzzles me is that before playing a disc, it does some sort of "self test": spinning A, then B , then back to A and playing that side normally (and allowing me to select A/B without issues)... is that a well known behavior of some sort?

So this is definitely more of a CLD-3080 clone w/ the inclusion of the digital memory. Definitely that makes the player much more valuable. :thumbup: :D

As for the unit going from Side A to B and back, this could be related to the BGV function in respect that maybe the player needs to know the TOC contents of both sides of a disc to function properly. However, maybe behind that control door there might be an override switch worth looking into.

Last edited by ldfan on 07 Jan 2021, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 20:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, it’s doing that, probably, to have a complete TOC reference which will allow tracks to be queued later. The genlock overlay is there for the karaoke overlays as well. This is a very dedicated to karaoke machine. It’s pretty badass and I’d love to have one.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 18:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

got it, that's indeed very peculiar and makes the player a bit different! Thanks a lot for the information...on unrelated news, today I'm getting a "for parts" CLD-97 shipped from LA, let's see if made it in one piece at least, last one one got hit pretty bad, but at least I got a refund...I hate shipping these things.

Post subject: Re: LD-V2020 Karaoke BGV player
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 18:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

forgot about this:

it happened when I added a washer to one of the frame feet (it wasn't broken or anything, just not on level..I checked the frame itself though, it's perfectly aligned, no signs of deformation)

I think it has nothing to do, or maybe it did change some alignment? The unit got stuck into that screen, and power cycling the unit solved the issue, never came back.

Anyone familiar with these messages? I get TILT and TRK, but what's the HEIGHT switch?... glad the ROM check is OK (^_^!)

btw, I tried looking around, but couldn't find a place selling the brown geared belt which I think is shared with other models:

just thinking ahead, are these relatively easy to find?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 19:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Regarding “BGV”...

For a very short period of time “Back Ground Video” was a thing. If you look at a lot of super 80s looking stuff where they have TVs all over the place just running random nonsense...in a fancy restaurant in HK for example or in Max Headroom or music videos. This was at some point termed “BGV” and some companies actually made gear for this purpose. This is the most pro thing I’ve seen in that area. You might run videos of fish tanks while overlaying today’s menu. I’m sure if you watch some of Jackie Chan’s better movies you’ll see BGV somewhere.

The idea being that you need to mix something. Usually “BGV” meant that the video was used but maybe you put your own music on top. Sony made a player called the MDP-9 which has a CD player *and* and LD player in it, completely separate drives with separate controls, just so you can...play Princess Princess over videos of dudes hang gliding at your pachi-slot joint, presumably.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 20:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

carrboroman wrote:
I think it has nothing to do, or maybe it did change some alignment? The unit got stuck into that screen, and power cycling the unit solved the issue, never came back.

Thats the test mode screen. On the CLD-3080 it can be activated by the tray door being open during power on or shorting a test post to ground. Didn't change alignment- that has to be done by hand (or shipping from eBay :lol:).

carrboroman wrote:
btw, I tried looking around, but couldn't find a place selling the brown geared belt which I think is shared with other models

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_ ... fg=Pioneer

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 20:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
You might run videos of fish tanks while overlaying today’s menu.

Ah gotcha, use cases like this makes more sense to me.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 20:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

carrboroman wrote:
forgot about this:

btw, I tried looking around, but couldn't find a place selling the brown geared belt which I think is shared with other models:

picture

Thanks!

Honestly speaking, I have never had to research a replacement for these types of belts because I think the teeth act as a way to prevent the common slipping issue found on the belts without teeth. For example, I have owned a CLD-3030 from day one back in 1988 and it's still on its original belt that uses the teeth style.

In any case, it appears that the part number for this belt is VEB-1069 (Synchro Belt) and it is available at PacParts and Instrumental Parts if you want to order one....

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_ ... fg=Pioneer

https://instrumentalparts.com/belt-synchro-veb1069/

If you think that might be too expensive, not sure if these can work but it's worth some researching....

https://www.sewingpart.com/category-s/4069.htm

These are sewing machine belts and they "might" have the same width and if so you just need to measure out the proper diameter for your belt.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 21:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
carrboroman wrote:

Thats the test mode screen. On the CLD-3080 it can be activated by the tray door being open during power on or shorting a test post to ground. Didn't change alignment- that has to be done by hand (or shipping from eBay :lol:).

Thanks! Got it, by changing alignment I meant adding the washer and possibly tilting the unit, but it's unlikely anyway, most likely I may have pressed the tray panel by mistake! ( I get the messages displayed are pretty much correct, right?)

I totally agree those belts are impossible to slip, but the material look a bit fragile...I'll try to get a couple of spares just in case, appreciated the links C++ and ldfan!!

Edit:
Signofzeta, yes, that's something I recall mostly in Karaoke places in Tokyo/Osaka in early 2000, maybe it was already a different setup by then, but totally cool effect... usually a lonely girl/guy walking on the promenade! :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 21:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

carrboroman wrote:
I get the messages displayed are pretty much correct, right?

Yes. Tilt and tracking servos are turned on/off based on the adjustments being performed while in test mode.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 22:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So what am I doing wrong that I can't see any pics, they all look like broken files??

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 22:18 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
carrboroman wrote:
I get the messages displayed are pretty much correct, right?

Yes. Tilt and tracking servos are turned on/off based on the adjustments being performed while in test mode.

got it, thanks :thumbup:

@rein-o I'm not sure what is wrong, the picture are hosted via an HTTP service, can you see the image using a straight URL like this? http://www.netpacket.it/LDs/LD-V2020/IMG_2516.jpeg

Edit:on a second thought, given it's HTTP, not HTTPS, maybe your browser is considering it not secure and preventing it from being displayed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next