LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8830
Page 1 of 2

Author:  admin [ 11 Jan 2020, 15:16 ]
Post subject:  Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I'll let the crowd's wisdom speak!

Julien

Author:  muzer [ 11 Jan 2020, 16:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

Is it possible for an "I don't collect them but I feel they should still be added" option? :D

Author:  admin [ 11 Jan 2020, 16:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

muzer wrote:
Is it possible for an "I don't collect them but I feel they should still be added" option? :D


OK if you do the coding and Q&A for me :-)

Julien

Author:  happycube [ 11 Jan 2020, 19:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I still think it's funny that Sony called something Universal that only one portable device ever played (at least in the US. I could see a UMD walkman selling in Japan)

Author:  xtempo [ 11 Jan 2020, 20:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I have some umds but I can go either way.

edit: on one hand I like to list my formats but then I also have this at VG Collect so which maybe shows both sides. It'd be find to duplicate the collection her with my other video formats but also it seems too much work for Julien with little gain unlike the other additions to the database.

Author:  muzer [ 11 Jan 2020, 21:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

admin wrote:
muzer wrote:
Is it possible for an "I don't collect them but I feel they should still be added" option? :D


OK if you do the coding and Q&A for me :-)

Julien

Fair enough! I would say I'd give it a go but I know what a procrastinator I am and feel like I'd probably end up not...

Author:  substance [ 11 Jan 2020, 23:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I have a couple of dozens of them. I am going to get rid of them once I find them in my storage. I am finally winning against my struggle with collectardation. Maybe one day I will be all digital, who knows..

Author:  forper [ 11 Jan 2020, 23:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

substance wrote:
Maybe one day I will be all digital, who knows..


unlike :thumbdown:

Author:  takeshi666 [ 11 Jan 2020, 23:32 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

Well it's not like there isn't some overlap between laserdisc and gaming communities already, with all the laserdisc based PC and console games and all, so sure, why not.

Author:  blam1 [ 16 Jan 2020, 20:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

There were some really odd offerings on UMD that I recall seeing at Best Buy. Episodes of "Gilligan's Island" and other things. I believe documenting them is worthwhile.

I only have two personally (and nothing to play them on).

In all honesty, I'd like to see the disabled sections turned on (DTS CD, DVD-A. SACD). Are they disabled because they are not "video"?

Author:  signofzeta [ 16 Jan 2020, 23:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I have to admit that I’d like to see a full release list of UMDs somewhere but it’s a pretty garbage format honestly. Only runs on one machine from one company. Not really in the spirit of the other formats represented.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 16 Jan 2020, 23:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

signofzeta wrote:
I have to admit that I’d like to see a full release list of UMDs somewhere but it’s a pretty garbage format honestly. Only runs on one machine from one company. Not really in the spirit of the other formats represented.

Well at least it's not Game Boy Advance Video.

Author:  signofzeta [ 17 Jan 2020, 00:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I have to admit that I’d like to see a full release list of UMDs somewhere but it’s a pretty garbage format honestly. Only runs on one machine from one company. Not really in the spirit of the other formats represented.

Well at least it's not Game Boy Advance Video.


It kinda is though. It’s a weird kneecapped format just for kids who don’t have a portable DVD player or laptop. One that makes no sense to build a library of since if you’re not Japanese you’ll just use Handbrake to make images and drop them on your $270 Memory Stick Pro. The biggest difference is that one was pushed by Sony who was already heavily into DVD, CD, HiMD, and who knows what else, just winding down DAT and Beta, time to make a new format!

The earth isn’t big enough for all the stuff Sony comes up with. Just power up a PS3 and blast through all the options. I don’t even know what some of that stuff is. It seems highly unlikely that even %0.5 of their userbase have ever used it.

https://youtu.be/8AyVh1_vWYQ

Author:  snipesbackhand [ 17 Jan 2020, 02:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I voted #3.

UMD isn't a big enough draw or related to LD. I owned a PSP and never once considered purchasing a UMD movie.
The concept behind it made enough sense but there's no lasting appeal.

Julien, your coding efforts would be much better spent on refinements to database searches and other LD features.

Author:  pokefraker [ 17 Jan 2020, 06:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

I think the fact that there's no solid database of UMD's should warrant its addition to the website, but I would understand if the coding effort just wasn't worth it for you Julian.

Author:  forper [ 17 Jan 2020, 12:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

Bring back HiMD!

Author:  xtempo [ 17 Jan 2020, 14:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

signofzeta wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I have to admit that I’d like to see a full release list of UMDs somewhere but it’s a pretty garbage format honestly. Only runs on one machine from one company. Not really in the spirit of the other formats represented.

Well at least it's not Game Boy Advance Video.


It kinda is though. It’s a weird kneecapped format just for kids who don’t have a portable DVD player or laptop. One that makes no sense to build a library of since if you’re not Japanese you’ll just use Handbrake to make images and drop them on your $270 Memory Stick Pro. The biggest difference is that one was pushed by Sony who was already heavily into DVD, CD, HiMD, and who knows what else, just winding down DAT and Beta, time to make a new format!

The earth isn’t big enough for all the stuff Sony comes up with. Just power up a PS3 and blast through all the options. I don’t even know what some of that stuff is. It seems highly unlikely that even %0.5 of their userbase have ever used it.

https://youtu.be/8AyVh1_vWYQ

Why is there a printer option on the ps3. That is an acid trip right there.

Author:  deadlegion [ 17 Jan 2020, 18:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

xtempo wrote:
Why is there a printer option on the ps3. That is an acid trip right there.


Dunno about printer but I've used a USB keyboard on PS3 quite a bit in the past, you just plug it in. For typing chat messages setting up mp games and stuff like that...yeah some people aren't sure what's going on and comment about how fast I can use the controller to type :lol:

Author:  signofzeta [ 17 Jan 2020, 19:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

But do you use the video editor?

Author:  deadlegion [ 17 Jan 2020, 19:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Would it be worthwhile to add UMD as a supported format?

signofzeta wrote:
But do you use the video editor?


No, and tbh I only started using PS3 consoles as BD/DVD players in the last few years because I've got a heap of them now.
Think I have 3 PSP consoles atm.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/