It is currently 09 May 2024, 05:20

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: VCD
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 15:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just received this in the post today, I was really impressed as it was only posted yesterday afternoon.
Not the best of films but it's a nicely presented set. From what I can tell from a very quick skip through it seems to be an open matte release of the Theatrical version which I've never seen before; all other home releases I've encountered have been the Producer's Cut (which is significantly different) and the work print version that was released as a bonus disc with some DVDs. Will give it a watch and no doubt update the "what else have you been watching" thread with the results.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 16:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Cool! I have the 'Star Wars Trilogy' VCD set. Unfortunetly mine are just in the CD cases. And not in the pretty box like the photo you posted above. :( I love the graphic on the box (similar to the late Japanese LD Star Wars Special Edition release). If you ever want to sell your set let me know. It'll be lovely to add to my Star Wars home media collection. :D ;)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 20:58 
i recently picked up the Lethal Weapon collection on VCD on ebay. haven't seen it yet, its waiting at my parents house (accidently selected their address during the paypal checkout, oops! lol) but those are the only VCDs i have.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 13:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

limeibook86 wrote:
Cool! I have the 'Star Wars Trilogy' VCD set. Unfortunetly mine are just in the CD cases. And not in the pretty box like the photo you posted above. :( I love the graphic on the box (similar to the late Japanese LD Star Wars Special Edition release). If you ever want to sell your set let me know. It'll be lovely to add to my Star Wars home media collection. :D ;)

Yeah, I think the packaging is great. I doubt I'll be selling my copy any time soon but they seem to be easy enough to pick up on ebay. I got mine really cheap as the cardboard box of my copy is actually slightly creased and bent, so you would probably want to get a higher quality one.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 06:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a lot of the Dutch releases that came out when Philips introduced the CD-i in the early nineties + I have a huge number of titles from Thailand and Singapore. They were ok to watch on a small screen but if you play them on the large screens used today it is really bad quality.VHS looks better. It is unbelievable that the format is still alive in South East Asia when DVD's and DVD players are so dirt cheap.
My Sony (Region A) and Panasonic (Region B) BD player do support VCD playback. My Pioneer and LG player do not.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 07:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have a number of the CD-I labeled discs, such as Star a trek II, Live and Let Die, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Godzilla 2000, Earthquake, Hunt For Red October, etc... The initial brochures in the Star Trek II case describe, excepting picture quality, a format really no different than DVD, with menus, extras, etc... Originally, before the first title was released, Dolby Labs wouldn't allow the Dolby Surround logo on them because the MPEG Layer II audio didn't encode Dolby Surround correctly. Philips did some quick codec changes to get Dolby Labs approval.

VCD was the first Progressive Scan format, although only 240P with about 140 lines of horizontal resolution and 30-40 lines of color. it was component though, so there were no NTSC artifacts if S-Video was used from my CD-I player with the MPEG cartridge installed. My Panasonic DVD-S97 really improves the PQ as compared to my Philips CDI-910 or Magnavox CD-I unit to the point that I prefer VCD to standard VHS.

VCD makes a nice addition to my pre-recorded MiniDisc collection and pre-recorded DAT tape collection.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 13:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Never really collected VCDs but heres what i happen to have

My Kiseki anime VCD:

And others:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 16:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nissling wrote:
cold_sleeper wrote:
My own :shh:

Are the logos on the cover for Scanbox and Nordisk film? It's a very good movie too by the way. :P
It's not hard to find Swedish VideoCD-releases, though most of them are either from Sandrews or Paramount so it's not a huge library of movies. Most of the people who bought them had a CD-i with a Digital video-card.

I never liked that movie, rather pontless movie, good acting but thats pretty much all =) I will never understand the point of the under age nude scene were the girl removes all her clothings, a very disturbing scene if you ask me. cool with a hong kong vcd of a swedish movie anyway.

ps, she was 16 if I remember correctly but its still a very pointless scene if you ask me...

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2