It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Barcode - UPC scan of LD collection Help please
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2022, 16:15 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I want to scan our 500+ collection of LD's and have looked for what I need. We have Windows PC's and Android tablets and smart phones. We have the collection in a large wall unit that I was thinking of using some kind of barcode reader to collect all the information in to the database collection. Is there a easy way to do that? I am not sure what we need in reguards to a good reader and then what do we scan the data into.

I have Ant data base with all of our DVD's cataloged but have not found a easy way to scan in LD's If there is anyone that could explain what we need and the best way to accomplish this. Eventually we will probably offer them for sale but first i need to Catalog them and set up a player and play each one to see if they play... fortunately I think we have 4 LD players so I should be able to find a couple to use to verify and test each disc before shipping them out!

It would be nice to have a barcode reader that doesn't need a cable attached but that may be more than we want to spend.... so, even a wired version would be fine

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have ... hopefully we can put something together and get the collection up so folks to see....

Post subject: Re: Barcode - UPC scan of LD collection Help please
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2022, 19:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Personally, I’d rather hand type in catalog numbers on 500 discs than waste time setting up a system that will be completely useless once the scanning is over. That’s just me though.

This may be possible. There are a LOT of LDs that don’t have barcodes though so depending on what you have there may be a lot of typing regardless.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2022, 19:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Search for Barcode in search engine top right for similar questions

I have a simple barcode reader (30 EUR), very simple, open excel, start scanning and you will get a list, select a batch of max 50, on lddb do a batch upload - ensure to have upc set, and you can add to your lddb account....

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2022, 02:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You can use a barcode app, but I recently saw a post from edwin where he said he bought an actual scanner. I have thousands not in my collection here, so I bought a wireless scanner (Tera 5100) that was on sale at the time for $25 shipped. Works great. You can scan all of them into a document, spreadsheet, etc without having to install any special software.

After that, copy and paste 50 at a time into https://www.lddb.com/bulk.php

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2022, 19:50 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

cplusplus wrote:
You can use a barcode app, but I recently saw a post from edwin where he said he bought an actual scanner. I have thousands not in my collection here, so I bought a wireless scanner (Tera 5100) that was on sale at the time for $25 shipped. Works great. You can scan all of them into a document, spreadsheet, etc without having to install any special software.

After that, copy and paste 50 at a time into https://www.lddb.com/bulk.php

Thank you and others for the information, I know our situation isn't that much of a big deal I'd just thought if I could just scan the titles and set up a data base... I am guessing we will proably offer them for sale at one point... we are in the Nashville Tennessee area, but it's going to take me some time to get this done but at least I figured I would just start somewhere. I actually have been a user of Ant Movie DB for years and years and have all of our DVD's cataloged through that and it has been a good tool.

I will look for the scanner you mentioned and do a little research... all of our discs go back to the early 70's and all the covers are in good shape, we purchased all of them new at the time and we have kept them in a dry environment in a shelving unit. We have 3 LD players and I have to see which one will work the best because we want to make sure each of the titles work before listing them for sale...

So, saying that thanks so much for the information and hopefully I can find a solution that isn't too costly and easy to use and get this project behind us.

I just found this on Amazon and placed the order, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TW ... =UTF8&th=1
I figure for $15.00 it should do everything I want to do and then as suggested upload them. We have many that we had never opened at all.... anywhere from $40 -$100+ for the collections... Darn....

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 22:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I wanted to update this post with some great news.... I spent a few hours today going through about 90% of our LD's using the new BarCode Scanner I bought for about $15.00 from Amazon... About 2/3rd of our collection had barcodes on the discs and so far that gave me about 300 titles so far, Now I have to go back and plug in the discs with out bar code using the LV number system .. .at this point I am thinking our collection will be pretty close to 500 titles!

I may need some help on creating a "New Collection" with these titles" but so far I am very pleased on how things are working out... I cant believe how well the scan the barcode works and how good the LDDb software is working.... I"ll be back with more information as I clean up what we have but it really is amazing how this is all working out... We started collecting in the late 70's.

Thanks again for the help you have provided me so far...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]