It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:01

Page 1 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dolby Digital Intros
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 12:38 
True fan
True fan

It would be nice to be able to sort my LD's per Dolby Digital intro.
Today, if I want to demonstrate or test one of the DD intros, I have to try some of my DD LD's and maybe I'll find the one I was looking for.

Of course, it's sometimes in the additional informations, but not perfect.
Example

Proposed solution:

- Add one database field with a drop down list. "Dolby Digital Intro" or trailer, or Demo.

- This field should be active only when the disc as a Dolby Digital Soundtrack.

- Define the values of this new list:
* none *
* various * -- for Demo discs
* Logo only *
* Logo only AC-3 *
* Ghost train * >> Dolby train
* Helicopter * >> Dolby city
* Helicopter AC-3 * >> Dolby city AC-3
* Temple *
* Canyon *
* Rain * >> Dolby EX
* Aurora * >> Dolby EX

And then, maybe do the same for DTS LD ?
Although, I've never seen anything else as
* none *
* flying disc *
on my DTS LD's.

Last edited by takou on 21 Apr 2013, 18:10, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dolby Digital Intros
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 14:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

* Rain trailer * [eg U571]

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 17:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The correct name for "Ghost train" is the Dolby Train trailer and the helicopter is Dolby City trailer.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 17:23 
True fan
True fan

Thanks, all infos added.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 09:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I noticed on some Dolby AC-3 such as "Courage Under Fire" had rimmed down shot intro that was cut to the last few seconds and yet there was plenty more mins on the disc pressing? Why the rush, I mean the trailers only last for 20 or 30 seconds or so.

takou, What do you mean by "exploding logo"? Do you mean the dts intro with disc flying around and then the exploding dts logo with kaboom and frizzled sizzling of high frequency sparkle then dts moves from the back of the screen kinder behind us, than moves up onto the screen.

Apollo 13 dts has that.

What ones do I have that I can think of, without looking at the Laserdiscs that are in the bedroom?

Brainstorm AC-3 I think that's "Temple"
The STAR WARS '97, AC-3 has various ones "Canyon" thou I have double check.

Also quite a lot don't even have a Dolby intro trailer I think TWISTER only has the THX intro Cimarron.

Stargate, has the Dolby train, I can't fully recall if that is short or the long trailer as the "dong, dong, dong, dong, dong" that sounds around the five speakers is faster one trailer and slower on another trailer.

When that trains gears kick in WOW the room rumbles.

Does "ALIVE" (1993) pressing have the Dolby train, as that is what I saw when I saw it in Dolby SR-D at the Empire Leicester Square, 30th April 1993.

Alive/Alive: 20 Years Later (1993) [7819 CS]

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 14:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The DTS trailer that's on LaserDisc's like Apollo13 is the 2nd DTS trailer and not the one that was actually used theatrically in the first few years of DTS. The original trailer that Jurassic Park and other films had theatrically was the flying disc trailer (that's its official name) and it was shorter than the DTS flying disc trailers on LaserDisc - it would explode, just like the LaserDisc trailers, but then fade out - the extra "this theater equipped with DTS" blurb and sound was not there - that was added later to extend the trailers length - for Apollo 13, Jurassic Park and others, it was just "The Digital Experience" kaboom! And fade out.

In 1995 DTS came up with a new trailer, in response to complaints that the flying disc was too loud for more somber films like Schindler's List, so they made a new DTS trailer called "water drop" - it was really quiet but used all the channels and silence of digital well. Unfortunately, except for a theater in Albuquerque (where I lived) and in St. Louis (where my partner lived) it was never played anywhere (I got 3 copies and gave one to a local theater and one to my partner that he gave to a theater and kept one for myself) - Ron Howard's Imagine Films threatened to sue DTS because the water drop trailer really did look almost exactly like Imagine's logo used on their films. Funny thing is, the sound for the water drop trailer stayed on DTS film and trailer discs for several years, even though the trailer itself was nixed. I still have my 35mm copy of the water drop trailer and a DTS trailer disc with the sound. Anyway, since they couldn't use Water Drop, DTS went back to the drawing board and the Yamaha piano DTS trailer was the result.

The original Dolby Train trailer - the original theatrical version I mean - was really long, much longer than used on discs, and had a nice slow build up to the train starting to move - I've never seen that on any disc, not even early AC-3 demo discs. It had incredible dynamic range too. The train and city trailers are my favorite of Dolby's trailers, although I like the original Surround EX trailer made for The Phantom Menace.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 16:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I might I think I have the dts trailers on THX Dolby dts, demo disc DVD

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 18:08 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
I noticed on some Dolby AC-3 such as "Courage Under Fire" had rimmed down shot intro that was cut to the last few seconds and yet there was plenty more mins on the disc pressing? Why the rush, I mean the trailers only last for 20 or 30 seconds or so.

Yep, that would be my * Logo only * or * Logo only AC-3* entries.

laserbite34 wrote:
takou, What do you mean by "exploding logo"? Do you mean the dts intro with disc flying around and then the exploding dts logo with kaboom and frizzled sizzling of high frequency sparkle then dts moves from the back of the screen kinder behind us, than moves up onto the screen.

Yep, flying disc would be then more accurate, as stated by disclord.

laserbite34 wrote:
Brainstorm AC-3 I think that's "Temple"
The STAR WARS '97, AC-3 has various ones "Canyon" thou I have double check.
Also quite a lot don't even have a Dolby intro trailer I think TWISTER only has the THX intro Cimarron.
Stargate, has the Dolby train, I can't fully recall if that is short or the long trailer as the "dong, dong, dong, dong, dong" that sounds around the five speakers is faster one trailer and slower on another trailer.

That's the point of my thread. It would be nice to be able to document it on lddb.
Then everyone would be sure ;)

disclord wrote:
In 1995 DTS came up with a new trailer, in response to complaints that the flying disc was too loud for more somber films like Schindler's List, so they made a new DTS trailer called "water drop"

Is this water drop trailer on any DTS LD ?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 21:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've been out with my dad today and sent a post from the laptop at his place and wasn't really into posting as I can't hardly type on those laptop keyboards and I get frustrated.

Now I'm back home I'll assailable all my current Dolby AC-3 Laserdiscs and go though them all. Take a few pictures and note the time of each trailer as some are brutally cut down to what, must be 5 seconds?

Some have high range level that peeks higher than the actual film itself and I often turn the fader down on the load ones, and turn the fader back up for the main feature.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 22:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Takou, no, the DTS Water Drop trailer is not on any disc - they were legally stopped from using it by Imagine Films - it did look almost exactly like the Imagine logo at the beginning of their films. I still have a brand new 35mm copy of the water drop trailer around here somewhere, along with its matching DTS-6 CD-ROM. If I can find it I might have my partners dad scan it for me - he has a 35mm slide scanner and if we cut up the trailer and scanned each frame we could make a version for the PC - I just have no way to playback the sound since I'd need a dts-6 or 6D ROM player - or one of the later integrated DTS booth monitor/processor/CD-ROM drive units that DTS made for a while. And, as I stated, the water drop soundtrack was included on all movie and trailer CD-ROM's for several years - the trailer was sent to me in late 1995 or early 1996 and theaters got it too but the next day dts' legal department sent a letter saying theaters had to return it due to the lawsuit from Imagine. I ignored it and didn't tell the theater I gave one to, neither did Tony, so those two theaters used the trailer for about a year on their more 'quiet' or family films. And of course I kept my extra copy without breaking the green band seal on it.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 23:00 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Okay I grabbed a small bundle and I still have bundles more on rack sheaving to go though and whoa, I was surprised not to see any Dolby digital trailers on some Laserdiscs.

Poltergeist Dolby digital has trimmed down "Dolby city"

Mighty Joe Young. No Dolby digital trailer, still its cracking fun family film.

Cutthroat Island "Dolby City" 30 seconds has the Dolby Surround Digital AC-3 logo.

The Arrival "Dolby City" cinema version.

The Last of the Mohicans "Dolby City" Dolby digital version shown at cinemas

First Strike "Dolby Canyon" cinema version

Dante's Peak I mean "Dante's Rot" "Dolby City" cinema version

Titanic no Dolby digital trailer

DIE HARD "Dolby City" with Dolby surround digital AC-3 logo

Mr Nice Guy "Dolby Temple"

I'll do the rest tomorrow, plus I haven't been to bed in over 27 hours. :crazy:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 18:58 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Capricorn One arrived late this afternoon and after a quick watch and listen though its rather odd to have the "Dolby City" trailer at the end of the film on side 3 CAV. :crazy:

Capricorn One (1978) [PSE96-076]

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 21:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

well, star trek: first contact opens with the THX Cimarron trailer (thunder)

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 19:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
The DTS trailer that's on LaserDisc's like Apollo13 is the 2nd DTS trailer and not the one that was actually used theatrically in the first few years of DTS. The original trailer that Jurassic Park and other films had theatrically was the flying disc trailer (that's its official name) and it was shorter than the DTS flying disc trailers on LaserDisc - it would explode, just like the LaserDisc trailers, but then fade out - the extra "this theater equipped with DTS" blurb and sound was not there - that was added later to extend the trailers length - for Apollo 13, Jurassic Park and others, it was just "The Digital Experience" kaboom! And fade out.

The original Dolby Train trailer - the original theatrical version I mean - was really long, much longer than used on discs, and had a nice slow build up to the train starting to move - I've never seen that on any disc, not even early AC-3 demo discs. It had incredible dynamic range too. The train and city trailers are my favorite of Dolby's trailers, although I like the original Surround EX trailer made for The Phantom Menace.

well, someone did a simulation of the dts trailer...is it close? or can you rip the audio?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJ27m7TyU0

well, i've seen the long version on surroundfm's youtube channel, seems like the end is cut off abruptly, and some early short trailers have the old logo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcc96o_Vck

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 19:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening guys,

That is one thing that DVD, Blu-Ray disc ect cannot beat.

the Laserdisc Dolby & DTS intro's to the movie are unmatched and that is one of the many reasons why I will not part with my collection.

Thank you laserbite34 for placing each intro and sharing with us, as your time and efforts are worth the fond memories of this fine format.

Take care guys

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think this list is pretty complete:

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/movie_index.php?type=dolby

DTS is only "Flying Disc/The Digital Experience" or nothing.

Should we ALSO account for the THX trailers? :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Julien,

I think the THX intro's would be equally welcome within this same topic, Unless the members or yourself wish to have these under a separate topic.

Thank you for mentioning this

I hope you are well good sir

Regards

:D :thumbup:

Post subject: Toy story
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Always liked the THX 'Robot" cow" intro on the Toy story boxset ... :thumbup:
this would be the only release with that specific THX intro I :think:

At first I hated Toy story but learned to appreciate the film. Soundwise it's :thumbup: own the DD boxset and the dts
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 10:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day kris,

I agree with you about the THX cow Toy Story Box and DTS are great for the sound.

There are a few more THX intro's that are funny and make one smile, and these are also good intheir own right.

Regards

:D

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 21:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elieb wrote:
disclord wrote:

well, someone did a simulation of the dts trailer...is it close? or can you rip the audio?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJ27m7TyU0

well, i've seen the long version on surroundfm's youtube channel, seems like the end is cut off abruptly, and some early short trailers have the old logo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcc96o_Vck

The DTS one is exactly right - and it came attached to the print and had a standard optical analog soundtrack so theaters without DTS still ran it and audiences thought DTS wasn't very impressive. Also, at the time, there were two versions of DTS; DTS-S and DTS-6. DTS-S was 2 channel Dolby Stereo encoded digital sound with +12db of headroom and run through the theaters optical sound and Dolby Stereo Pro-Logic decoder - it also had a seperate LFE channel. Theaters were supposed to identify what their system was in newspaper ads, but they never did - DTS-S was dropped about 9 months later. So there was a LOT of confusion in the early days of DTS. Also, the first discs didn't identify themselves to the player so the wrong disc could be played with the wrong film - there were documented cases of The Flintstones being run in DTS with the Jurassic Park discs accidentally played - and the player synced them and played the wrong disc. DTS did a quick software update so that the print and disc had to match serial numbers to play. If the projector changed speed the DTS player would track it so there could be wow in the sound - DTS fixed that about a year after the launch.

Page 1 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next