It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Selling LD players on LDDB....
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 17:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Is it possible to sell LD players in one's shop on LDDB? If so, I cannot find it, so I assume it's not possible but assumptions can be wrong.

If not possible, do you think it would be okay to have a topic here on the forum for that?

Post subject: Re: Selling LD players on LDDB....
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 21:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The issue with selling players online is shipping them and packing them. Some players (or most of them) probably won't do too well when they're shipped.

However a listing for players (or LDs, etc) selling locally would be interesting. For example I can see what people are selling what items locally (no shipping of course). Maybe somebody in New York has a player for sale and I'd be interested to drive there and pick it up. Sort of like craigslist, but more specialized.

Just a thought, would be neat. :)

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 02:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I sell players all the time, have 7 right now, but they go on craigslist or ebay with local pickup only. After the PO destroyed one of my players by dropping it and insurance denying the claim I quit shipping. I have a 75 percent success rate with the players and I refuse to take that chance.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 01:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well, I have had good luck shipping them as I have shipped many CED players and I tend to overpack them for safety. They always go in the sturdiest boxes and materials. I always make sure the parts that might rock and roll around are secured, etc.

Of course, there's nothing to be done about bad handling, but I go well beyond the required shipping and never have had a claim denied. I'd say my delivery rate of players in good shape is around 90%.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 04:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

THere was nothing wrong with my last box, they shipped it upside down as far as I can tell even though the postage was on top and it said top on top. It was delivered upside down leaning against a door. Since there was no problems with the thing when shipped, it had been powered down and there was a shipping screw in the item it was the post office. THey had dropped the thing flat. Since it was expensive I used 2 inches of foam to hold it in original box, cardboard outisde of the box, another inch of foam and then an inch of cardboard outside of the last bit of foam. It was still destroyed. it was a 150 dollar ld player. Last one I shipped.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 15:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You're right, I have had boxes packed that well that got dumped and the players were wrecked, even though a few and it is preferable to have local pickup so they can see it working. I haven't sent any by USPS because I didn't like their claims process. I sent by Fedex and UPS, and one time I had to prove the packing was proper. That's why I take photos of the player working, serial number and the way it was packed. That time I had to tell them they'd be in small claims court if they didn't pay the claim, so it went to a higher up and got paid.

But in general they get there okay.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 18:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just takes one though. I wasnt happy to lose 150 dollars and shipping.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 07:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree with rixrex on this. While often times it is the shipping company's fault for damaged players, I'd say a whole lot more damaged players are a result of poor packaging. For example, I got a player double-boxed from rixrex recently, opened it up, plugged in, and it worked, fine. Before that, I got another player off eBay with only a single sheet of Styrofoam and part of the upper clamp was smashed to bits. So I think LDDB members are a better bet to buy from then most people you'll find through eBay.

I know I'm bumping an old thread and there was another thread about opening a more general "swap/buy/sell" section, but it died while Julien was still settling into his new job or whatever the situation was. The announcement thread about that seems to have gone down, so I figured this would be a good time to bring it back up (since I don't think the admin has responded to one of these threads yet, and he's more likely to if it's active while he's actually around).

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]