It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Julien Could Write a Book
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 23:08 
True fan
True fan

Julien (and the rest),

I'd love to someday find a book on LaserDisc collecting. One that would have a chapter devoted to each disc manufacturing facility, plus chapters on possible defects and their causes, on mint marks, proper and imporper methods of storage, etc.

Such a book could have a section devoted to glossy photos of benchmark players, the different types of backing discs for dead sides, rotting discs in an advance stage of oxidation, samples of deluxe boxed sets and what extras they origianlly came with, etc.

If a new updated version could be released annually (or every few years or so), then sections could be devoted to U.S. releases, Japanese releases, Hong Kong releases, etc. This could include the average price paid for Near Mint for each title, plus rarity codes. CED Magic has rarity codes on CEDs, so I imagine that it would be possile to do with LaserDiscs.

How about it Julien? I'd buy one. :)

STAY AWESOME! :)

Last edited by cessnaace on 10 Nov 2011, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Julian Could Write a Book
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 23:32 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I agree it would make for interesting reading.
I am genuinely surprised someone hasn't attempted this already but I know of no such volume to date other than catalogues published with title details during the format's lifespan which were produced by the manufacturers.

I have been buying many different music related magazines for 25+ years which of course are targeted at collectors. In all the years of collecting music I've never seen a single article on music laserdiscs. It is like the format never existed even though anyone who is really serious about music has heard of the format. I have often thought about submitting an article to one of the UK magazines to get this format some exposure - long overdue in my opinion. That is why I often refer to it as perhaps the best kept secret in the music world!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 00:19 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I agree it would make for interesting reading.
I am genuinely surprised someone hasn't attempted this already but I know of no such volume to date other than catalogues published with title details during the format's lifespan which were produced by the manufacturers.

I have been buying many different music related magazines for 25+ years which of course are targeted at collectors. In all the years of collecting music I've never seen a single article on music laserdiscs. It is like the format never existed even though anyone who is really serious about music has heard of the format. I have often thought about submitting an article to one of the UK magazines to get this format some exposure - long overdue in my opinion. That is why I often refer to it as perhaps the best kept secret in the music world!

I have ONE CD Collector's Guide that has a section devoted to the LaserDisc format. In fact, the price guide section lists titles released as CDs, CD-3s, LDs, etc. I'll never part with it, eventhough it only covers LDs of concerts and music videos.

Last edited by cessnaace on 12 Nov 2011, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 23:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cessnaace wrote:

I have ONE CD Collector's Guide that has a section devoted to the LaserDisc format. In fact, the price guide section lists titles released as CDs, CD-3s, LDs, etc. I'll never part with it, eventhough it only covers LDs of concerts and music videos.

Thanks - I didn't know there was one - I googled and found Collectible Compact Disc Price Guide 2 (1997) so bought a copy online this evening. Ideal for a music fan. I'll be interested to know how many of the laserdiscs I don't already own.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 02:53 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

Thanks - I didn't know there was one - I googled and found Collectible Compact Disc Price Guide 2 (1997) so bought a copy online this evening. Ideal for a music fan. I'll be interested to know how many of the laserdiscs I don't already own.

I think that you ordered the right one. Mine is "Collectible Compact Disc Price Guide 2" (1998) by Gregory Cooper, published by Collector Books. It covers U.S. and foreign releases in the following formats: CD3, CD5, CDJ, CDV, 8" LD, 12" LD, etc. The first 160 pages are clossy photos, and includes a decent LaserDisc section with color photos.

Interestly, there's a photo of a CD with Laser Rot and one with an advanced case of BPA Monomer growth (it looks rather disgusting, actually. lol.) There are sections devoted to MCA DiscoVision, DiscoVision Dead Sides, Magnetic Video LDS, CAV vs. CLV, etc. Highly recommend.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]