It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to determine Japanese Laserdisc release dates?
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 19:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have a stack of Japanese laserdiscs to add to the database, with all the information I need on the jackets except for the release dates. The release date information doesn't seem to exist anywhere online in any language, and I don't want to submit them without that piece of information missing. Is there any way to figure out when they were released by, say, looking at the UPC or the reference/catalog numbers and calculating it from those?

Post subject: Re: How to determine Laserdisc release dates?
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 00:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Three sources for identifying Japanese release dates...

Click on any of the links below. Each opens a Google search page. Once there, replace DLZ-0185 with the catalog reference of the release you are seeking (in the Google search box). Be sure to include the quotes. Then click on the magnifying glass icon to perform your Google search.

"DLZ-0185" site:http://artist.cdjournal.com

"DLZ-0185" site:http://www.suruga-ya.jp

"DLZ-0185" site:http://tower.jp

When Google finds a match, sometimes the release date is included in the excerpted text. If not, click on the link to view the complete page and locate the release date.

You might want to first practice with test case DLZ-0185, which has a release date of 1995-09-08. Once you know where the resulting release date (i.e. 1995-09-08) appears on the page, you'll know where to look going forward even though you don't read Japanese.

In my experience, CDJournal and Suruga provide results about 80% of the time, and Tower provides results about 60% of the time. I like to try all three and cross check the results before updating the LDDb.

Last edited by nems on 29 Jun 2015, 04:14, edited 9 times in total. _________________
Pioneer CLD-D703 => Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD-R => DVDO iScan VP20 => Sharp LC-52D62U HDTV

Post subject: Re: How to determine Laserdisc release dates?
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 03:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks!

It turned out CD Journal came through for me for all of them, and Tower Records had none of them! :\ I only got hits for 2-3 of them by using Method 1, and ended up having to Google with the title in kanji and the catalog number, and find the link to CD Journal that showed up (after including omitted search results). For one stubborn title, I had to go through the website's calendar and check every day between February and April 1989 to see what day it showed up in their database. Geh.

Anyway, thanks again!

Post subject: Re: How to determine Laserdisc release dates?  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 04:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Excellent work! :clap:

There must be an easier way to search CDJournal, but I have yet to find it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]