It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bidding Option
PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 13:56 
True fan
True fan

I recently realized the following phenomenon: Let´s say a LD is priced by sellers as low as 4,99$ (f.ex. Devil's Advocate (1997) [15090]), there is also an interested buyer with a bidding offer of 20 $. Thats 75% more, than the lowest seller is willing to sell his copy.
Or another one, Re-Animator: 10th Anniversary Edition (1985) (Uncut) [EE4323], which sells as low as 14$ but gets a bidding of 25$. And there are many more around..I mean, whats the point, if someone is already selling way below, why make a high bid?
Now I wonder, if there are guys around, trying to push the "value" by making high biddings without the intention of ever buying a copy.
I always hought it would be a good idea, to get the bidding offer cancelled, when a seller is hitting then exact or lower bidding offer. What do you guys think about this ?

Post subject: Re: Bidding Option
PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 14:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yep. That’s exactly what’s happening. It’s illegal for businesses to behave that way but people who make their money off Craigslist do it all day. What they have is basically old garbage nobody wants so they do everything in the book to drive up the price up. There are forum members who are big into this. When most people sell some 25 year old disc they just want to send it on to a good owner but with some people there’s always some angle being worked. Like buying as many copies as possible and then listing them with high prices. It is a MORAL IMPERATIVE that they sell this thing for more than they paid for it. In a small market it’s easy to manipulate the price and collectors these days worship high prices so they aren’t in the business of waiting for it to drop. The noobs are dying to get the thing at any price, and any price is fine because they “know” it will always sell for more.

Lucky they pressed a ton of these things and the current LD scene is small so it’s impossible to ruin LD like how the same people are ruining classic video games, but they are sure going to try.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 17:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It all changed a few years ago, can't really tell you when but I have noticed it.

All internet sales that used to be impulse buys are now sitting and waiting.
I just received an email from ebay saying that I have over 10 items in carts waiting to be purchased.

Why are people not buying, because they are overloaded with all this stuff and the prices dropping, and then you have the sellers who can afford to sit as they have
a good job with massive pay so they don't really need to sell the items.

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 09:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello!

Maybe I should not display these values as they might be misleading for sellers?

The original intent was to qualify what a "wish" in a wishlist was supposed to mean.

It would translate by default into an email notification if a specific titles was listed for sale.
Further refining would define a minimum condition level (1 to 10) and a maximum price above which no notification will be sent (filtered).

So the "best bid" is not a confirmed agreement to buy but the maximum price for a notification.

Initially the wishes would be active only for 3~6 months then expire and would need to be re-activated manually, something almost nobody did.
So I turned the wishes permanent.

Maybe I should simply remove the "best bids" and keep only the number of people with that title in wishlist?

Julien

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 17:33 
True fan
True fan

Yep Julien, good idea.
Just show how much users have the title in their wishlist and it should be more than enough information.

You should then also remove the "Top 100 - Best Bids" where anyone can see that someone is willing to pay $25'000.- for PILF-2869 ...
Too bad I already sold mine :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 10:34 
True fan
True fan

Hi, I fully agree too to that, I think the idea to just have a public wishlist is better than having some (imaginary) price displayed. I think that leads to alot of misunderstanding of what some things are maybe worth.
Some people looking to sell stuff start to think they are sitting on a goldmine, they just see what they want to see:" oh theres someone willing to pay 20$ for SPEED"...

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 14:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
It all changed a few years ago, can't really tell you when but I have noticed it.

All internet sales that used to be impulse buys are now sitting and waiting.
I just received an email from ebay saying that I have over 10 items in carts waiting to be purchased.

Why are people not buying, because they are overloaded with all this stuff and the prices dropping, and then you have the sellers who can afford to sit as they have
a good job with massive pay so they don't really need to sell the items.

Does this mean 10 different people have items of your in carts but haven't pulled the trigger? Are you one of the larger LD sellers on eBay? Curious as I am keeping a list of good and bad sellers, already marked off one on eBay as bad based on a long thread here. Mostly, I am just looking for reputable sellers that actually understand LD as it is better to buy from them than random dorks that found a box of discs at an estate sale or something like that. I bought one movie from Laser Blazer here, I expect it to be as described.

@Exinferis: I see you list a CC decoder in your chain. I've been looking into getting one but I was wondering how much brand mattered if at all.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 16:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I only have 40 items and only a handful of LDs.
But ebay keeps asking me to lower my price for the items that are in carts already.
I have no idea if they are all from the same person or different people.
If I have what you want you will buy it or you won't, I don't have many of the common titles to sell off, I usually sell them in a lot or locally.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 16:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah eBay always wants you to lower prices, make your shipping "free" and set your handling time to 1 day, lol.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 01:18 
True fan
True fan

I think there was one instance were I added something to my cart on ebay, the seller must have thought I really wanted it because he then raised the price!
This was in a 24 hour span mind you.

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 08:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sjoerg wrote:
I think there was one instance were I added something to my cart on ebay, the seller must have thought I really wanted it because he then raised the price!

Actually, sellers can't know what's in cart.

What might happen is that you were watching the same title on eBay and the price ended up higher than the LDDb price offer ... so the smart seller adjusted the price up to match current prices?

Julien

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 11:30 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:
sjoerg wrote:

What might happen is that you were watching the same title on eBay and the price ended up higher than the LDDb price offer ... so the smart seller adjusted the price up to match current prices?

Julien

I should have mentioned this wasn't an LD related item, it was some item I planned to buy on ebay. it was quite a while ago and I don't remember the details, all I remember is there was a price increase shortly after adding to my cart.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 14:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

admin wrote:
sjoerg wrote:

Julien

Actually they sort of can now.

I get messages from ebay saying and showing which items are in buyer's carts and they tell me to lower the price and make the sale.
Its not all the time but I have received 3-4 so far in the past 5 months.
Gives you pictures of the exact items and says in carts now make the sale.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]