It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Should we add movie/contents rating information? (as per cover)
Poll ended at 09 Jul 2020, 07:26
 Yes please  50%  50%  [ 2 ]
 Not really needed  50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4

Post subject: Should we add the (censorship) ratings?
PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 06:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello!

I had the information for some initially but dropped it because it was hard to parse.

Each country has its own and they have different rules:

USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system

United Kingdom, France, Australia, Hong Kong, etc. all have different systems and logo.

Would it be interesting to add the rating/censorship information back (as found on the cover at the time, the ratings might have evolved over time)?

Julien

Post subject: Re: Should we add the (censorship) ratings?
PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 08:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think the fact that there's an "uncut" tag instead of "cut" one is kind of odd, since most films are uncut by default so it's really just the ones that have been cut that should be labeled as such. I mean, I've seen movies labeled as "uncut" when it's just a different version than the rest.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 08:06 
True fan
True fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I think the fact that there's an "uncut" tag instead of "cut" one is kind of odd, since most films are uncut by default so it's really just the ones that have been cut that should be labeled as such. I mean, I've seen movies labeled as "uncut" when it's just a different version than the rest.

In the US they cut down a lot of films to make them PG-13 for it's theatrical run, however, the home releases are usually labeled as "uncut" because they add back in all the T&A along with any cut gore that would have stopped it from getting the PG-13.

I'm not sure if this is the case for other countries or not, admittedly my own scope is limited.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 08:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sounds like opening a can of worms Julian
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 08:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pokefraker wrote:
In the US they cut down a lot of films to make them PG-13 for it's theatrical run, however, the home releases are usually labeled as "uncut" because they add back in all the T&A along with any cut gore that would have stopped it from getting the PG-13.

I swear this practice is a pretty recent thing - way too recent to be an issue with laserdiscs, that's for sure.

Then again, the US release of Hard Target is technically uncut, but it's the R-rated version, while the UK and Japanese releases are the truly uncut unrated version. And then you have those weird situations where the movie is technically uncut but is heavily altered, like that weird foreign version of the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that replaces every single instance of anything Japanese with something else.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 08:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have some New Zealand domestically sold LDs with Rating labels on cover and disc label.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 15:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

“Uncut” is a term that is more or less meaningless. It’s only used by a fan of a movie to say that it hasn’t been too murdered in editing but in fact all movies are “cut” and see compromises at all stages of their creation. If you have a version longer than the normal one it isn’t “cut” or “uncut” it’s just a different cut. The only movies I would describe as “cut” would be TV edits where things were taken out and nothing added back in. In this case they are not presenting a new version of the movie, just playing the regular version with scenes shortened.

Ratings by the MPPA should be easy to implement since it they exist they are on every jacket.

It’s very rare to make a PG-13 movie into an R one for video. R movies get made into what would be NC-17 though for sure. Robocop, for example. PG-13 and R are two different markets and it would rarely make any sense to not be able to sell a kid a movie he just saw in the theater. (Don’t ask me why/how they sold kids toys based on Rambo, etc, movies that are basically an infomercial for murder.)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 17:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Rambo toys were made years later by Coleco as a death rattle and were based on the cartoon
Around the same time they did a Chuck Norris cartoon also and another company made a toy line that again was a failure.

Kenner did the Robocop stuff and had all the licencing for all the big blockbuster films like Star Wars, Aliens, Robocop, Congo etc.
They were just hoping that the others would pay off like SW did.

As for ratings on films, I guess you could show that such and such released on LD had a higher rating due to standards of the time
and now is a G rated film due to Saw, Hostel and other great classics :sick:

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 18:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Before PG-13 existed your movie would be rated R if it had a lesbian in it. It’s amazing what would be R in the 70s and now some of these comic book movies are quite violent and unsettling yet pass as PG-13 because...the biggest studios in the world made it, that’s pretty much it. Woody Alan never had action figures to sell. Dollar dollar bill and all that.

Most of us have probably seen This Film Is Not Yet Rated but if anyone hasn’t please do.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]