It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Display titles NOT in My Collection
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 23:31 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Have done a bit of searching, can't see if there's a way to do this:

I'd like to list all titles in a Collection (like Signature Collection or Criterion) that I do not currently have in My Collection. Looking at the Advanced Search, I can easily list the ones I do own, but nothing I try seems to work for the ones I don't. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Display titles NOT in My Collection
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 16:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

??? Are you asking about titles in your wishlist????
Put these titles in your wishlist then you can see them.

Otherwise I have no idea what you are asking. I.E. if you own 3 criterion discs and you want to see the other 400 that are not in your collection??

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 17:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It seems like a thing you should be able to do but yeah, I think using the Wish List is the best substitute.

That being said, I have to say...when the old ad for Star Wars figures said “collect them all” they were speaking out of wild greedy hope. They never for a second expected to kids to actually collect them all, like they are doing now with everything for which there is a list. You’re not expected to “collect” every Criterion title. There isn’t a person on Earth who likes every single movie they’ve put out so don’t feel compelled to buy them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 21:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
You’re not expected to “collect” every Criterion title. There isn’t a person on Earth who likes every single movie they’ve put out so don’t feel compelled to buy them.

Oh boy, ain't that the truth.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 00:46 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
??? Are you asking about titles in your wishlist????
Put these titles in your wishlist then you can see them.

Otherwise I have no idea what you are asking. I.E. if you own 3 criterion discs and you want to see the other 400 that are not in your collection??

That's actually exactly what I'm asking.

If I'm trying to "complete a set" of, say, the US Signature Collection, I'd like to be able to use the database to see how many in that collection I don't already own. Then I can easily add them to my wishlist. I currently:
  • head to advanced search to get the required LDs on screen
  • Hit the "+" to show the ones I have
  • Click the "Show Controls"
  • Click the Wishlist column of any I don't currently own
It just seems that this is a tedious way of doing it, especially if there are many, many pages of results. If I could get the list of the ones I don't currently own at least I know to click every one of them :)

signofzeta wrote:
You’re not expected to “collect” every Criterion title. There isn’t a person on Earth who likes every single movie they’ve put out so don’t feel compelled to buy them.

Yeah, I know that ... but the fact one can get every Criterion now for way less than what it would have cost to buy them brand new ... the obsessive collector in me just goes "so why not?" ;)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 22:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well my answer to that question would be “Because Armageddon sucks even worse than narrated Bladerunner.” but I guess you don’t mind having mountains of crap laying around.

Also, I don’t know if anyone on earth ever enjoyed Carnal Knowledge but I sure don’t think it’ll happen again either way.

That’s just A-C.

The Criterion idea was aimed at people who are picky, not for people who will buy literally the worst POS around as long as it’s on an approved list. Just buy what you like. You don’t need both CAV and CLV versions of every movie and you don’t need any LD of something that sucks, or a sucky LD of something good. Criterion has a few of both of those. I’d say you can leave at least %15 of them where they are.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Post subject: Re: Display titles NOT in My Collection  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 10:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dave.hartley wrote:
I'd like to list all titles in a Collection (like Signature Collection or Criterion) that I do not currently have in My Collection. Looking at the Advanced Search, I can easily list the ones I do own, but nothing I try seems to work for the ones I don't. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Added a quick fix to the Advanced Search: Not in my Collection

Julien

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 09:52 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
Well my answer to that question would be “Because Armageddon sucks even worse than narrated Bladerunner.” but I guess you don’t mind having mountains of crap laying around.

Well I am a hoarder of old technology/media ... :) And I paid for the Criterion Armageddon on DVD when it first came out, so I guess I'd get the LD too ... still, I love my Criterion Monty Python, Brazil, Baron Munchausen :D
signofzeta wrote:
The Criterion idea was aimed at people who are picky, not for people who will buy literally the worst POS around as long as it’s on an approved list. Just buy what you like. You don’t need both CAV and CLV versions of every movie and you don’t need any LD of something that sucks, or a sucky LD of something good. Criterion has a few of both of those. I’d say you can leave at least %15 of them where they are.

I actually agree with you, there are lots of the Criteron Collection that I would never watch. I guess my point is that, for a "collector", these days it's in the realms of possibility to actually get a "whole set" of something without having to sell body parts or re-mortgage the house. However, the Signature Collection is a different story ... I bought most of these when they were released, and have been topping them up with the odd purchase off eBay/LDDB when they turn up cheap. And having a facility to easily find which ones I don't have would be quite nice ... I only have 11 to go to complete the US set ;)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 09:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

admin wrote:
dave.hartley wrote:

Added a quick fix to the Advanced Search: Not in my Collection

Julien

Works perfectly, thank you! :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]