It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-97] Problematic spinning, repair advice (Spindle works)
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 22:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have this machine and I'm in the middle of trying to repair it.
I have no history upon it and I don't know for certain if it works but I have considered it as a parts machine for my working CLD-97.
A beast to work on and very hard to get to the belts. The laser carriage wasn't completely moving back and forth due to being derailed. I have fixed that and now it moves freely.
The player quickly recognize both LD and CD, but the LD doesn't get clamped enough to secure the disc before spinning it. Have checked the belts and the loading belt is great, but the synchro belt had lost much of its tension so I guess this could be the problem when the laserdisc isn't fully clamped?
I have made sure that the tray closes perfectly and the loading cycle is good to go and completes everything. No issues here!
After the player recognize a compact disc and fully clamps it, it starts to spin, but the spindle motor doesn't achieve enough speed. It starts and spins slowly and wobbles the disc for about 10 - 15 seconds and then stops.

What can be the possible causes?

Worn out spindle motor? Is this one easy to replace/adjust?
Faulty power supply?

Last edited by laserpaal on 13 Apr 2019, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CLD-97 problematic spinning, repair advice
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 00:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Most likely the top part of the clamping mechanism is not getting lowered down far enough. If you had to repair the loading system it also controls lowering the top clamp piece.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 11:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
Most likely the top part of the clamping mechanism is not getting lowered down far enough. If you had to repair the loading system it also controls lowering the top clamp piece.

Yes, the top part of the clamping mechanism doesn't get lowered down far enough for the laserdisc. But for the compact disc it does, at least it gets down. I didn't actually repair the loading system, but I disassembled it to check if there were allignment issues and I made sure the arrow on cog was pointing at the correct position on the side rail for the lifting assembly. The loading cycle is nearly complete, but the top clamping doesn't get lowered down enough to lock the laserdisc completely.

I don't know what kind of board is located above the power supply, but the copper shielding beneath it had some brownish residue to it, and it clearly looks like it has been caused by two large brown capacitors near the audio outputs. I don't know what these are for (audio?) and what they are controlling, but there was no obvious leakages around them other than this residue that had been "sweating" over to the copper shielding.

Is there any way (screws, etc.) to remove the top clamping to check if it's jammed or somewhat?
How tight should the synchro belt be? There is actual movement and I can press my finger to it and I can feel it could be slipping, lost tension, etc...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 23:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The unit will not start trying to play unless the load finishes so that is not your problems. The board above the power supply is the Audio board and what you are seeing is normal over time.

I believe you have a mechanical issue. You need to have the loading mechanism in properly, sometimes during shipment the plastic feet break and it sits too low and then for the clamp the right side has slots the pins must be in properly.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 16:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
The unit will not start trying to play unless the load finishes so that is not your problems. The board above the power supply is the Audio board and what you are seeing is normal over time.

I believe you have a mechanical issue. You need to have the loading mechanism in properly, sometimes during shipment the plastic feet break and it sits too low and then for the clamp the right side has slots the pins must be in properly.

Thanks for the advice, Kurtis. I will further investigate the loading mechanism. I will come back when I have done some more progress! :)

Post subject: Re: [CLD-97] Problematic spinning, repair advice
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 19:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Update April 2019:

Replaced the belt for the tray. The old one had lost its tension, so it made a little bit of a difference.
What I have managed to work out so far is that the spindle motor is working as it should, I can play a laserdisc on side B and the sound and picture is very good! The clamping works as it should when playing side B.
My problem is still trying to play a compact disc or side A of a Laserdisc. The upper clamping doesn't get lowered enough for it to play.
I really don't know what might be the problem now, but the clamping works for sure, but not for Side A? :wtf:

Post subject: Re: [CLD-97] Reads disc and spins, but video drops out
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 20:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I got the clamping fixed for side A. Now it reads the disc and spins on both sides and switches without problem.
Compact disc won't spin up.

Problem now is that when I get an image and sound, it works great, though crosstalk here and there. But on occasion or should I say most of the time, I get a black screen with rolling horizontal lines of multi colored speckles and no audibel static noise or video image. It's like the player is trying to read but gives up, I do believe sometimes I can hear a "clicking sound" when the image goes "lost".
Where do I troubleshoot from here? - Are we talking chip failure, single component failure, entire video board failure or is it just badly misalignment of the player?

I don't have an oscilliscope, test disc, etc. and I won't be messing with the adjusting pots by trial and error without the proper equipment. ;)

Post subject: Re: [CLD-97] Trouble reading off the TOC
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 17:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've have renamed the subject since the problem is no longer related to problematic spinning and that the remaining problem is closer to a final solution.
After reading a lot of other posts here on the forum and similar symptoms, I'm more convinced that the centering of the spindle motor is slightly out of adjustment and that the optics are having trouble reading the table of contents correctly. After multiple attempts, I get to play side A and it then plays without problem. I have somewhat verified that the RF level is where it should be and the quality of the image is great. When the problem occurs, I can see and hear that it tries to lock on to the TOC. After a couple of seconds, I get a click noise followed by a black outputted screen when the disc is continiously spinning at an endless route with no intended stop, unless I manually press STOP. When this happens, I cannot skip chapters, which confirms that the player has no table of contents and have no information whatsoever to do what it is being told.

I feel I'm closer to the problem and that maybe the centering could be slightly off. I would guess there is a very low tolerance when adjusting and that it shouldn't be hard to trial and error.
So next question, is the adjustment located on the underside of the chassis?

Post subject: Re: [CLD-97] Problematic spinning, repair advice (Spindle wo
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sounds like you are getting at it.

I know from what I've read that CD should play and then LD, if you are playing LD and CD is not working then its a centering issue.

But I'm no tech and good luck with it, these are great players when working.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 08:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Always use a CD for side A centering, the arc is sharper and the adjustment is more critical than LD.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 17:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for the replies!
Regarding the centering issue, I found an illustrated picture in the CLD-95 service manual which confirms that the centering adjustment screw is located underneath the player. Will take my time to try to adjust it, so I'll check back later when I have done some progress. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]