It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:28

Page 6 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 21:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched the Criterion BD which is superb.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 21:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
I watched the Cinema Disc version of High and Low and it really blew my mind. The drama is coming at you from so many angles. That thing is a masterpiece. I also have the Criterion version which I’m long overdue to watch.

there isn't really an excuse not to see the Criterion but life gets in the way sometimes ;)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 22:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Parents dropped by and I showed them Rally: Crash! Crash! Crash! (1995) [PILW-1192] and ended up watchin the entire thing. Good times.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 02:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Vampire Hunter D and The Five Star Stories.

VHD is like a solid 6/10 just okay. It breaks my heart that they didn't make the other FSS arcs into movies. MAGNIFICENT.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 14:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You watched FFS on VHD, I didn't know they released it on that format.
Is the cover the same as the LD??

I just finished watching the DVD of Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, or the Japanese version of Samurai Pizza Cats.
I had the English set also but sold it as the voices started to be come too annoying for me after 20 episodes, but they did have some funny stuff.

The Japanese series is really funny and I know the translations of subs are missing a lot.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 20:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What? No lol. I watched FSS on DVD and VHD on BD.

VHD = Vampire Hunter D. I have no interest in that video format so I forget it's a thing.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 23:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

VHD is also on VHD which I hope to get one of these days. I love the series and have both LDs and BD. Bloodlust was okay but not as good as the first.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 20:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Finally decided to break down and watch "Sweet Charity". This pressing is from April 1977.

Attachments:
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG [ 129.08 KiB | Viewed 2993 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 23:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior (1980) [1109-70]. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, but not this 1982 PDO disc - it's fairly soft (from a 16mm print?), my first disc's badly rotted, and whoever mastered this was clearly struggling to make the film comprehensible in pan-and-scan -- it's both slightly letterboxed and slightly horizontally compressed. (And slightly rotated, although I suspect that wasn't deliberate!) The beautiful costumes and staging shine through occasionally, though, and the subtitles aren't bad. So I'll be keeping an eye out for a better release of it...

Attachments:
mpv-shot0036_.jpg
mpv-shot0036_.jpg [ 98.67 KiB | Viewed 2988 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 00:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I watched the Cinema Disc version of High and Low and it really blew my mind. The drama is coming at you from so many angles. That thing is a masterpiece. I also have the Criterion version which I’m long overdue to watch.

there isn't really an excuse not to see the Criterion but life gets in the way sometimes ;)

I haven’t watched it completely but I did start it and had to abandon watching it. From a glance though I’d say someone may prefer the Cinema Disc version. The Criterion is in “Mangaramma” meaning that the image meets the top with all the matting on the bottom and the subtitles are confined usually to just the black section. The image also seems way bright but that could have been my imagination.

Anyway, the Mangaramma thing was something that was actually pretty nice in the 4:3 days but it doesn’t translate to 16:9 very well at all. There are no special features on either so I it’s a tough call.

Last edited by signofzeta on 29 Apr 2019, 02:28, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 02:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

atsampson wrote:
Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior (1980) [1109-70]. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, but not this 1982 PDO disc - it's fairly soft (from a 16mm print?), my first disc's badly rotted, and whoever mastered this was clearly struggling to make the film comprehensible in pan-and-scan -- it's both slightly letterboxed and slightly horizontally compressed. (And slightly rotated, although I suspect that wasn't deliberate!) The beautiful costumes and staging shine through occasionally, though, and the subtitles aren't bad. So I'll be keeping an eye out for a better release of it...

Great movie. A shame about your disc. The BD is excellent and I recommend it.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 23:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

blam1 wrote:
Finally decided to break down and watch "Sweet Charity". This pressing is from April 1977.

That is pretty cool, are they single discs or double thickness like what we all have???
I know that we don't all have Sweet Charity on that test pressing :lol:

And I'm missing a lot of stuff, I thought VHD was the format, just like zeta posted about SD wasn't thinking about Super Deformed :crazy:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019, 23:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
blam1 wrote:

That is pretty cool, are they single discs or double thickness like what we all have???

And I'm missing a lot of stuff, I thought VHD was the format, just like zeta posted about SD wasn't thinking about Super Deformed :crazy:

Single side, unboded discs. Bonding had not yet come into the picture in mid-'77.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 14:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
xtempo wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I haven’t watched it completely but I did start it and had to abandon watching it. From a glance though I’d say someone may prefer the Cinema Disc version. The Criterion is in “Mangaramma” meaning that the image meets the top with all the matting on the bottom and the subtitles are confined usually to just the black section. The image also seems way bright but that could have been my imagination.

Anyway, the Mangaramma thing was something that was actually pretty nice in the 4:3 days but it doesn’t translate to 16:9 very well at all. There are no special features on either so I it’s a tough call.

I forgot it was on LaserDisc. I was meaning the recent release as I have the BD but there is also the DVD. They both have special features.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 15:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

blam1 wrote:
rein-o wrote:
blam1 wrote:

Single side, unboded discs. Bonding had not yet come into the picture in mid-'77.

Very cool, I remember reading about single discs, could have been from your site?
But never saw one in person.

So how is the PQ on that disc? Interesting to know if its similar to other discovision titles?

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 01:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sword of the Stranger. Now this is a good anime movie, nice palate cleanse after Golgo.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 15:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

DOCTOR WHO, 1975 TOM BAKER/FOURTH DOCTOR 1st season Blu-Ray set. Stupidly Excellent Stuff.

now, if BBC would only get off their duff and release the seasons between 1 and 7 on a physical video format.
for whatever reason, they only seem to be offering seasons 2~6 via their streaming service, for the time being,...

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 16:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Now the heck is 1975 “season 1”?

Thanks for mentioning this, I’ll probably get it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 17:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dr Who release titling is about as bad as many US anime release titles!

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 01:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

^Tom Baker: Complete Season 1?

For me, he's the only Doctor and it might as well have been season 1. When I was a little kid circa 1980/81, before my family went to America, and after school every day from 1985 to about 1988 I would watch this Doctor on Australian ABC. It had everything a boy could want, militarism, cool genuinely scary for a kid aliens, hot/cute women and this goofy doctor in the middle of it all. It was one of the few shows at the time besides anime that had story arcs over multiple episodes.

We were lucky in Australia to get so many shows with adult themes at a young age. The Goodies was quite dark and shown late nights in the UK but in Australia we got it as a kids show. It had some really dark sci fi and doomsday themes mixed with the comedy and Aussie kids of my generation loved it. The UK dub of Monkey had some more adult stuff in it as well.

American shows were great but a lot safer, The Greatest American Hero, The Incredible Hulk, The A-Team. I loved them all.

I look at today's Dr Who fandom and I cringe, I tried watching a new Dr Who episode that my housemate was into and it left me cold. The CGI, the unlikeable characters, the ugly companions, it really sucked and I'm glad I saw the true Dr Who when I did.

Not sure I want to relive it as I haven't seen it since then and it's a really good memory I want to keep that way.

Page 6 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 76  Next