It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D503] Side A centering adjustment screw as spare
PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 03:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I just received CLD-D503 to serve as a back up player / parts donor, but it was so badly hit during shipment that side A centering adjustment screw had broke off. Does anyone if it is available as spare or does it only come with lower plate VNL1555? Mechanism is the same as in D703, D704, 79 and 99. The plastic adjustment screw seems to go through so small hole that it needs to assembled from two pieces during installation.

PS. Has anyone found a proper scan of CLD-D503, CLD-D703 or CLD-D704 service manual with spare part diagrams? The closest thing I have is for CLD-79/99 Elite.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D503] Side A centering adjustment screw as spare
PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 00:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

VNL1555 is the "Tilt Base (Lower)", and the Side-A centering adjustment is part of that assembly. It cannot be replaced. You will have to replace the entire VNL1555 assembly. PacParts claims to be able to order it - but I find that highly suspect. The same part was used in the CLD-05, CLD-07G, CLD-D503, CLD-D703, CLD-D704, CLD-D770, CLD-D570, Mitsubishi M-V7057. Perhaps some others.

There are 2 Service Manuals for the CLD-D703
RRV1064 is divided into 2 chapters and is 86 pages (CLD-D703/CLD-D770 only)
RRV1066 is is the document everyone seems to have online (CLD-D503, CLD-D703, CLD-D770, CLD-D570, CLD-S360)
RRV1244 is the only manual for the CLD-D704 and is 68 pages

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 02:52 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks. That's what I suspected. Current Pacparts price for VNL1555 is $47. That's way more than market price for non-functional D503. Encompass price is less, but they seem to be less capable to deliver old parts. For example they had GGV1069 test disc available for order recently, but only Pacparts was able to deliver it.

I have RRV1294 service manual, but RRV1064, RRV1065 and RRV1244 are no were to be found online.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 07:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you still have the damaged parts, you can repair it.

My friend got a 703 a few years back that was damaged in the same manner. I fixed it for him by drilling a hole through the two pieces, placed a pin inside to give it strength, and used crazy glue to bond the two pieces back together.

I think it's going on seven years or more since I fixed it and hasn't had a problem.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 13:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jlehmusk wrote:
Current Pacparts price for VNL1555 is $47. That's way more than market price for non-functional D503. .

If you are thinking like this then LD may not be a collectors item for you.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 15:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for the hint Ldfan. I have the parts and I was thinking the same thing. Instead of pin I was thinking about putting a tiny screw through to squeeze the halves together. If I find M1.2 or M1.4, I could use the existing 3 mm hex slots to hold the nut in place.

rein-o wrote:
If you are thinking like this then LD may not be a collectors item for you.

Can you elaborate on this thought? What is wrong of salvaging this part from otherwise broken D503 and give a new life to some other player? Perhaps a D704.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 15:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Salvaging is fine, but not wanting to buy a part for 47 to fix a player that you think may not be worth much more is the issue.
Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Thanks,

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 16:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Salvaging is fine, but not wanting to buy a part for 47 to fix a player that you think may not be worth much more is the issue.
Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Thanks,

I would disagree with that.

A cost of $47 for a part would give me pause as well. Only after I have exhausted all means to fix the issue would I then consider spending the money and it would still depend on the value of the player.

I did get a CLD-97 recently that had cosmetic parts missing. In this case, I knew I could not fix something like that by making something out of scratch so I did spend a bit to obtain the parts. But heck... it was a 97 so it was worth it for that reason alone. :)

jlehmusk wrote:
Thanks for the hint Ldfan. I have the parts and I was thinking the same thing. Instead of pin I was thinking about putting a tiny screw through to squeeze the halves together. If I find M1.2 or M1.4, I could use the existing 3 mm hex slots to hold the nut in place.

Let me see if I can dig up the old pics I took and post it later today. It might be helpful as I don’t remember all the details of how I got it done.

Update......

Well, I did find the pics but it appears that I never took a snapshot of the completion of the fix. Here we go.....

The two halves before the fix

The lower portion getting a plastic stem inserted (I just remembered now that it was plastic I used and it came from a plastic model sprue I had lying around)

Top view of the lower half repositioned under the tilt assembly before gluing on the top half (the stem was obviously trimmed in height)

In any case, you have to re-assemble the parts while it's in the tilt assembly. Not sure of the position I had the centering adjustment at as I never noted it since I just used my other 703 as the reference point.

Hope this helps a tad bit.

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 17:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is a great idea if it works. Since this is a "set it and forget it" thing, as long as it maintains its position, there shouldn't be a problem.

I had a CLD-D925 that had a broken pickup rail clip on the tilt base and there was nothing I could do to 'fix' it.

PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 01:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for really good pictures. In my case it was cut at the surface of the bottom part so there less support for rod in the middle. I put in order for M1.4x10 bolt and nut from China. I will post pictures of my repair attempt when I receive parts in couple weeks (hopefully).

UPDATE: I finally got correct size nuts and bolts from China. M1.4 was smaller than DIN 935, so it was unusable. M1.6 is just right. Nut is 3.1 mm wide. Any wider than that I would not risk to use. Squeezing it inside the plastic part would most likely crack it in half. I used 4 mm socket and 3 mm hex bit to drive the nut inside the top plastic part. Then I used 10 mm long pan head bolt from below to keep plastic parts together. It's not strong enough to adjust from above, but at least you get working position indicator and it can be adjusted from below.

I really wish it was possible to attach more than one picture. Links to external services get broken by the time somebody else I doing the same repair.

If you are doing the same repair, please pm me picture of your broken adjustment screw and I will send you pair of bolt and nut free of charge.

Attachments:
File comment: Parts
parts.jpg
parts.jpg [ 58.45 KiB | Viewed 1531 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 03:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Correct alignment of the top part.

Attachments:
File comment: Alignment
angle.jpg