It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Perhaps a bit late but hello...
PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 23:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi all,

I have been using this site for a few years now & sort of crept onto the forum but never really did the intro thing, perhaps a bit late but.....

I was in the leisure business for the bulk of my working life & the cinema exhibition business for most of that time.

Knew about the LD format basically from its introduction in the UK in the early '80s but could not afford an LD player & the selection & quality of the titles for the first few years was pretty poor. Followed the formats progress till it all ended though. Was aware of the Japanese LD releases including the F1 issues from '87 that included footage not seen elsewhere but there was no way I could have purchased them back then. Given the business I was in we were kept up to speed on what was happening in the rental & retail market (mostly VHS releases) but LDs were mentioned a few times though given the rather low figures compared to VHS sales here in the UK they were discussed usually briefly but some interesting facts & figures did come up.

I picked up my first LD player (a PAL/NTSC CLD-D515) with around 75 discs around 2003 or 2004 & that was me on my way. Actually passed on most of the discs as I really only wanted the player to use for the Japanese F1 discs that I was aware of but were so costly to import when "new" back in the day but were only a few US dollars at most from Japanese sellers when I started buying.

Picked up a CLD-D925 in 2004/5 & it came with around 150 LDs & this time I kept roughly 50% of the titles, some nice issues among them & quite a few Japanese releases with a few boxed sets including the rather nice Neon Genesis Evangelion box set on KILA 9401-4 which I thought was a superbly presented item with every insert & the packing in general being such high quality & so well presented overall - no going back now & I was by then looking for more than just the F1 LDs.

Picked up quite a few players & LD collections for a few years, sometimes buying players & collections to get just one or two discs only & selling on the rest of the LDs.

After quite a few players & LDs over the years I have settled with a CLD-D925 as my main player & a CLD-1010 as a back up with around 450ish LDs that I still have & am unlikely to pass on anytime soon - a few F1 LDs still to find.... & a few others.

I do still love spinning the big discs!

One of the main reasons for popping this on is that up to about 10 years ago or so a few of us "old boys" would get together to catch-up & moan about the way cinema exhibition was going & sorting out the world - go figure!! Over the years though the numbers dropped. Recently tried to get a catch-up & get together sorted out but sadly there is no one left now. I was the younger guy back then, most of the people I was working & in contact with were around 20+ years older than I was - I am galloping towards 60 in less than a couple of years so most would be well into their 80s or 90s. The sad bit is, apart from the obvious, is the knowledge that has been lost. I got quite a few facts & figures from a few in the past that helped clarify a few things but sadly those sources are now lost. Anything LD related that comes to mind & may be of interest I will pop on the forum.

If there are any other lddb users that has had contact with anyone involved in the LD format in any way please post anything that may be of interest to users here, the most minor fact or figures info may help clarify things - quite a bit of LD babble sometimes that is often not helpful so anything may help.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but if you have got this far - thanks.

Enjoy spinning your discs!!

Take care all & cheers for now.

John

Post subject: Re: Perhaps a bit late but hello...
PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 02:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

je280 wrote:
If there are any other lddb users that has had contact with anyone involved in the LD format in any way please post anything that may be of interest to users here, the most minor fact or figures info may help clarify things - quite a bit of LD babble sometimes that is often not helpful so anything may help.

Seconded.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Very interesting!

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 05:53 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Good read. Thank you.

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 07:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

je280 wrote:

Been trying to locate people from that era to discuss cover art, technology, side stories, transfers, edits, sound mix, etc.

Haven't been successful so far.

I know a few French movie directors were around for a while but kept quiet.

Well, even Criterion doesn't seem to care! => Took a chance, contacted Criterion by email
They reply within a day for a new BD order but remain in limbo for anything LD-related.

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]