It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:04

Page 4 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney Will Never Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy
PostPosted: 13 May 2019, 16:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’d like to be more excited by Disney’s TV stuff. It was a step closer to the real thing but in the end it was still inhuman junk. It’s main purpose was the dominate the TV dial with import sweatshop labor. It’s no different that filling stores with cheap T shirts.

To it’s credit, you could tell there were talents at various stages of production, it shows, but it’s still depressingly cheap. Not cheap on the screen exactly, but cheap in that they wouldn’t pay anyone to paint the cels unless their health insurance was provided by a foreign government. The kind of cheap that spreads the production so far around the planet nobody knows each other and both collective bargaining and artistic cohesion are impossible.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 May 2019, 16:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hey, I like my wallyworld cheap Voltron T-shirt for 4.99 no tax :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 13 May 2019, 23:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’d like to be more excited by Disney’s TV stuff. It was a step closer to the real thing but in the end it was still inhuman junk. It’s main purpose was the dominate the TV dial with import sweatshop labor. It’s no different that filling stores with cheap T shirts.

To it’s credit, you could tell there were talents at various stages of production, it shows, but it’s still depressingly cheap. Not cheap on the screen exactly, but cheap in that they wouldn’t pay anyone to paint the cels unless their health insurance was provided by a foreign government. The kind of cheap that spreads the production so far around the planet nobody knows each other and both collective bargaining and artistic cohesion are impossible.

Well that just sounds like Disney in general if you ask me. Walt himself was hardly the saint everyone thinks he was.

PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 01:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Well that just sounds like Disney in general if you ask me. Walt himself was hardly the saint everyone thinks he was.

Of all the f-ed up thinks about Disney, I can’t really blame the guy who died in 1966 for much of it. At least when he was alive the movies were good, even the live action ones often. He was never afraid to trust the right human talent.

TRIVA: according to Wikipedia The Jungle Book, the last animated movie Walt worked on, is still the highest grossing film in Germany’s history. That’s pretty awesome, honestly. I think I like Germany a little more knowing that Titanic isn’t even close. I’m not even going to check Avatar. If there any law at all in the Black Forest they would ban it completely!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 06:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Original SW Trilogy in 4K ??

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/content/105409/star-wars-4k/

If so, expect lots of LD boxsets and LD Players flooding eBay soon, maybe a good time to catch them cheap!

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 07:09 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:

If so, expect lots of LD boxsets and LD Players flooding eBay soon, maybe a good time to catch them cheap!

Julien

Yeah I'll be after the Japanese LD set from the 80's, along with the Definitive Edition set, of which I have the discs from the individual releases, but not the set as a whole.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 08:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah hopefully Julien. More LD players in reserve play my definitive box

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:

Julien

I'd say Disney are trying to do the same thing that fans have been doing for a few years now. Using actually film reels of the first theatrical versions of OT, multiple sources to get the best parts from various prints. Although in the case of the fan efforts the sources used are 35mm.

Yes the TN1 effort was 1080p but there are 4k77 and 4k83 releases now, DNR and non-DNR. 4k80 was being worked on last I heard.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:

I sure hope that happens here as well. I'm still salty about missing out on that CLD-99S!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
admin wrote:

Julien

I'd say Disney are trying to do the same thing that fans have been doing for a few years now. Using actually film reels of the first theatrical versions of OT, multiple sources to get the best parts from various prints. Although in the case of the fan efforts the sources used are 35mm.

Yes the TN1 effort was 1080p but there are 4k77 and 4k83 releases now, DNR and non-DNR. 4k80 was being worked on last I heard.

I guess they figured they might as well get the money if it's out there anyway. Assuming Lucas still had any kind of say at all.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's surprising how good the unofficial efforts are tbh. I could never afford to buy a decent real early print myself, people have spent a fair amount of time and money doing these for no financial gain.

Yeah, I'd say instead of Disney "listening to fans" it's really about being aware of the work already done and wanting to make money.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 14:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Definitely. I'm pretty content with my LDs and burned off fan project BDs to be quite honest.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 14:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
Definitely. I'm pretty content with my LDs and burned off fan project BDs to be quite honest.

The Star Wars movie made before A New Hope. Kids usually don't understand :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 16:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
admin wrote:

Julien

I can’t imagine anything is actually lost from Star Wars. It was a full studio effort with no period of un-popularity in its entire history. If they make a BR from anything but original negative then I’d be shocked. Fans may have used theatrical prints but that would be extraordinary ghetto for Disney to do that in 2019.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 17:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
I can’t imagine anything is actually lost from Star Wars. It was a full studio effort with no period of un-popularity in its entire history. If they make a BR from anything but original negative then I’d be shocked. Fans may have used theatrical prints but that would be extraordinary ghetto for Disney to do that in 2019.

What's "lost" is the original version of the film, never released on home video of any format. The original film was changed for the Empire release and more changes were made as years went by.

I suspect it's unlikely an untouched original negative exists at this point, Lucas has certainly claimed that fact more than once. If he doesn't have one then Disney doesn't, so they will have to use the best unmodified source they have for every single part of the film.

It isn't ghetto to use old prints as a source if that is the best source you have. The results just from fan efforts are amazing, a massive company throwing much more money at the same project should be able to do even better...

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 23:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You don’t need anything “untouched”, you build the exact edit again from the highest quality source available which should be at least one if not three generations earlier than any theatrical print. I’m just saying this based on how prints are mass produced.

If the “original” edit is indeed lost then that means nobody has seen it in 40 years so I can’t imagine why anyone would care. I don’t exactly follow all this Star Wars crap, I confess. If you had even the gnarliest copy as long as every frame was there you could build it again from the same elements used to make all the other edits. If the editing script existed that would work.

I’m sure the fan edits are great. The Droids and cosplay and everything else is. However using theatrical prints for a 4K restoration would be like using Spotify rips for Super Audio CD. You really need to wring everything you have out of the source when it comes to 4K or else it looks exactly like 1080p.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019, 00:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm just in a way glad to hear this so people can actually collect LDs for a real reason and not just Star Wars.........

I can enjoy the films but its like Jaws these films are overrated if you've lived in a small bubble of films and can't admit that these
are not even top quality comic style films....

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019, 00:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's common for the average man on the street to say Star Wars was just revolutionary in terms of effects at the time, and that's why it was so popular.

Of course it wasn't. Kubrick achieved much better space effects a decade earlier.

Star Wars was everything, very likeable characters, excellent costuming, great scripting and pacing. The effects weren't THAT good.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019, 02:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Kubrick didn't have computer-assisted camera trolleys.

rein-o wrote:
I'm just in a way glad to hear this so people can actually collect LDs for a real reason

Yeah, like computer animation short films ;)

(I've actually been kicking myself about that for a while now, I need to get back the right track instead of buying all these JP discs)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019, 08:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
You don’t need anything “untouched”, you build the exact edit again from the highest quality source available which should be at least one if not three generations earlier than any theatrical print. I’m just saying this based on how prints are mass produced.

If the “original” edit is indeed lost then that means nobody has seen it in 40 years so I can’t imagine why anyone would care. I don’t exactly follow all this Star Wars crap, I confess. If you had even the gnarliest copy as long as every frame was there you could build it again from the same elements used to make all the other edits. If the editing script existed that would work.

I’m sure the fan edits are great. The Droids and cosplay and everything else is. However using theatrical prints for a 4K restoration would be like using Spotify rips for Super Audio CD. You really need to wring everything you have out of the source when it comes to 4K or else it looks exactly like 1080p.

Quote:
70mm print of Star Wars was shown at a special event alongside the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Interestingly this 70mm print was an 'immaculate' PRE special edition version of the film taken from a print to be used in the UK in 1981 but was never shown due to a minor tear. The only difference between the version shown and that shown in 1977 was the addition of 'A New Hope' to the opening crawl.

Quote:
the original material has come from a "variety of source ... much of the original film and negative stock was in poor condition even before George worked on the Special Editions" and the restoration team sought out the "best possible version" of each scene within the LucasFilm and Fox archives.

70mm print shown was 1981, so not pre-esb.
"variety of source ... much of the original film and negative stock was in poor condition even before George worked on the Special Editions".

I don't think your spotify/sacd analogy is entirely correct.
Sure, that would be the case for aotc and rots because the source is 2k, they can't do a 4k scan of a film source (well, they can but it would be a 4k scan of film made from a 2k source).

Page 4 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next