It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:35

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Domesday Duplicator boards. Who wants one?
PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 12:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hi All,

I've been looking to do this for some time but want to gauge interest before committing. I've already had 5 PCB's fabricated and they have turned out great. Problem is in getting them populated. Sourcing components for the build means I'd have to buy bags of 100 or so of each component and that is a hell of a lot of waste!

So instead I'm looking to just get a fresh set of boards made and assembled out in China. I'm in the process of getting a quote returned to me so will be able to give you a better idea of price etc a bit further down the road. If this goes ahead you would just be getting an assembled DDD board. You'd have to do the rest yourself, the RF cable, FPGA board etc etc. This is just to get the main piece done.

For now I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in the other 4 boards to help spread the cost as I have to order a minimum of 5? I'd be keen to make more and turn this in to some sort of group buy if there are that many interested, I dunno, see how it goes I guess.

Let me know in this thread if you are keen and again, I'll update once I have some proper pricing. :)

Post subject: Re: Domesday Duplicator boards. Who wants one?
PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 16:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'd potentially be interested in one or two boards (both for ld-decode and for other uses of a fast ADC).

Edit: ... or in splitting a parts buy if you decide to go down the DIY route instead...

Last edited by atsampson on 12 May 2019, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 17:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If only I wasn’t too stupid to use them...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 17:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I am 100% interested in a fully functional DD set up.

I'm very excited by this project and eager to jump in but the water is expensive, deep and murky.

What is the estimated price for the DD board from you? The other 2 boards are like $150 total...

Will it be delivered fully assembled and ready to add the other 2 boards (FPGA and USB) or just the bare DD PCB?

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 21:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm planning to have the DD board printed and assembled with the components. All you'd need to do is make the RF cable (easy) and then buy the two off the shelf boards (FPGA etc).

I'm just waiting on the PCB fabricator to give me a quote and we can go from there. I've had 5 bare PCBs made already to see how they look and it's all ok.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 23:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'd be interested in one at some point depending on my financial situation. I'd need to know how much they'll be.

PostPosted: 16 May 2019, 14:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just an update on this. I got 95% of the project sorted. The manufacturer cannot source 4 pin header parts and one dip switch part, they are out of stock with whoever their supplier is. I've asked them to get back to me once they have everything available to them.

Price wise we are looking at sub $100 plus shipping to wherever you live (after the order is shipped to me of course). That would be for one complete, assembled Domesday Duplicator. Some parts are alternatives to the official BoM specified by Domesday86 Project folks. I've spoken with Simon Inns a few times now about alternative parts and what I've got the manufacturer to do is supply those parts for this project. Just wanted to be 100% transparent about that.

Just to clarify too, this would be just for the Domesday Duplicator board. Not the FGPA and the USB board. You'd still need to buy those off the shelf. This is just to get the difficult part done.

Let me know if you are 100% interested and once I get the final parts arranged with the manufacturer I'll put together an official group buy. To give an idea of how I'd proceed, I'd be looking for payment upfront (as it's a lot to outlay just on my own). Paypal or something. I can provide feedback (eBay, other classifieds, my website etc). Heck, call me if you want to talk over phone or video! :)

As an aside, the manufacturer I am looking at is PCBway. If anyone wants to suggest another manufacturer and assembler, please let me know.

Getting a bit ahead now so I'll just leave this here by way of providing an update and will give you more information as I have it.

PostPosted: 16 May 2019, 14:18 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'd be interested.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 12:45 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Count me in for one at least (maybe two, or one and a blank board, depending on the overall cost). :)

What I've heard about PCBWay seems to be generally positive at the cheap-and-cheerful end of the market. Check they're quoting for the board material and finish that Simon recommends, rather than just their cheapest option. You've mentioned parts subtitutions and shipping costs already - you may also need to factor in customs charges.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 13:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

atsampson wrote:
Count me in for one at least (maybe two, or one and a blank board, depending on the overall cost). :)

What I've heard about PCBWay seems to be generally positive at the cheap-and-cheerful end of the market. Check they're quoting for the board material and finish that Simon recommends, rather than just their cheapest option. You've mentioned parts subtitutions and shipping costs already - you may also need to factor in customs charges.

Yeah, I definitely took reviews of PCBway in to account before getting the quote. I might actually venture elsewhere because they can't supply all the parts.

I definitely want it done 100% right though so won't be skipping anything. Simon has been great, I'm constantly wrecking his head on social media with questions and he's been really good helping me out.

We have a TOG Hacker/Maker place near me that do soldering, so I could just buy bags of components and get some help there (I have already approached them for this). But if you guys are paying upfront, and they bodge it up, I don't want to end up with a ruined board etc. Hence wanting to pay the extra and getting it done right.

I do have 5 blank boards already from JLCPCB, and those are really high quality. They just don't assemble. Unless anyone knows where I can send these boards off to to get them populated maybe? Save us all some more money! :D

Happy to open this thread up for input from other folks if you want to help out or something and we can get these done!

For me, the reason I want one of these boards is to preserve my collection before anything happens to it. Especially my Future War 198X LD. Rare as hens teeth and it's starting to rot I think as the audio is not 100% on it. I want to preserve it before it's too late! Same with my Goddamn!! and Urban Square anime LD's too.

For the record, and it's worth saying here, the work these two guys are doing with both DomesdayDuplicator and LD-Decode is nothing short of incredible. Two extremely talented chaps who have done amazing work. Long may it continue.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 15:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for the updates. I'm glad you've decided to not skimp on the components and find a company that will do it to spec.

If it comes to it, I'd even be interested in just the board and I can source components and take forever populating it myself.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 18:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'd take one.
If you are shipping from Ireland... My being roughly in the center of the US, Denver area, (and retiring at the end of this month)
I would volunteer to be the drop-ship point if that would result in any significant savings for the people state side.
Could perhaps double down by performing the same service on the off the shelf parts, but don't want to add unnecessary complexity if the savings wouldn't justify it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 02:59 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Interested. Count me in.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 17:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm interested as well.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 23:01 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the information! Definitely interested!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 11:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me being the LD fan that I am, with some background in electronics and FPGA, I'd take one too!

Julien

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2019, 02:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I was just looking around and found out about this project and was interested, even if I need to do my own assembly. If someone is getting these boards fabricated I would be happy to join in and maybe help drive down the cost. I'd rather not have to get a bunch of boards made just to use one of them.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 21:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interested in this. Was looking into it today and then saw the thread here. I am not skilled enough to make the unit, but can use it well enough once I have it.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 20:57 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have a small batch of bare boards in green. PM me if you'd like one and aren't afraid of soldering surface mount components!

Edit: I have 2 boards remaining.

Last edited by realpoo on 14 Aug 2019, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 02:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Apparently I am not able to send PMs on this forum, but I would still be interested in a blank board if one is available.

realpoo wrote:
I have a small batch of bare boards in green. PM me if you'd like one and aren't afraid of soldering surface mount components!

Edit: I have 3 board remaining.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next