It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rank Star Trek films best to worst
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 04:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

1- The wrath of Khan
2- The motion picture (I love how grand and epic it is)
3- First contact
4- Undiscovered country
5- Voyage home
6- Search for Spock
7- Final frontier
8- Nemesis
9- Generations
10- Insurrection
11- Star Trek
12- Beyond
13- Into Darkness

Post subject: Re: Rank Star Trek films best to worst
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 14:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Favourites are First Contact and Undiscovered Country.

Khan is also great and Khan/Spock/Voyage make a nice sort of trilogy.

Final Frontier, The Motion Picture and the last two re-boots are all ones I avoid re-watching.

Edit: Nemesis kind of sucked too.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 14:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1- The motion picture (I love how grand and epic it is) (same here)
2- The wrath of Khan (all round excellent film, even if a bit banal at it's core. also Scotty bringing dead crewman to the BRIDGE is UTTERLY STUPID)
3- Search for Spock (my favorite ST starship, the EXCELSIOR, debuts in this film, so it holds importance for that, at least)
4- Voyage home (good movie in it's way, though a bit too much of a sop to the average, non-trekkie audience at times)
5- Final frontier (bad, bad movie, but holds a sentimental place for me, so it is at least passively watchable)
6- Undiscovered country (plenty of USS EXCELSIOR on display, otherwise, not bad, but not quite great, either)
7- Generations (pretty crummy overall, and my second-favorite ST starship, the ENTERPRISE D, get's annihilated here, so there's that strike against it as well)
8- First contact (hot, sexy BORG action for the stupid ten-year-old in us all, i suppose)
9- Insurrection (SUCKS)
8- Nemesis (SUCKS HARD, and DATA passes on)

2.1- Star Trek (good original cast character likenesses, but BEER BREWERY "Engineering" SUCKS HARD)
2.2- Beyond (SUCKS REAL GOOD)
2.3- Into Darkness (SUCKS EVEN GOODER)

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 18:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
but BEER BREWERY "Engineering" SUCKS HARD

That made NO sense to me either!

In every past Star Trek movie and show, there's been a sense of consistency in the ship's interior design, you could tell they both take place in the same time period if not in the same ship - but then JJ Abrams comes along and the bridge looks like f***ing Apple designed it, but the engineering looks like a Steam & Sparks Factory from a 1980's action movie? Like, what the hell man

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 19:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
In every past Star Trek movie and show, there's been a sense of consistency in the ship's interior design, you could tell they both take place in the same time period if not in the same ship - but then JJ Abrams comes along and the bridge looks like f***ing Apple designed it,

Compare that to the re-imagination of the internals of the original Enterprise on Discovery. That seriously gave me a major Trek hard-on. Found myself at the end of season two indulging in a guilty pleasure where from then on it would be Pike, Number One and Spock on that Enterprise going forward. Them reality hit; still Discovery, just in the future in a different quadrant of the galaxy (how much easier did that just make continuity....)

Still with that degree of effort on the new-old Enterprise I'm delusionally hanging out for a new series titled something like "Enterprise the Beginnings" or just "Pike" or what ever the hell, just make it feel a bit more Star Trek (like Orville proves can still work you CBS marketing dunces).

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 20:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I refuse to watch any newer ST movies. They should have done DS9 or VOY but they didn't so I will go through the main movies though TNG movies is mostly subpar except for Generations
and First Contact were the best then the others in order for TNG.

OST
maybe the theatrical order except though Shatner's one about God was kinda stupid so that would be last even after the last TNG.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 23:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

xtempo wrote:
I refuse to watch any newer ST movies. They should have done DS9 or VOY but they didn't so I will go through the main movies though TNG movies is mostly subpar except for Generations
and First Contact were the best then the others in order for TNG.

OST
maybe the theatrical order except though Shatner's one about God was kinda stupid so that would be last even after the last TNG.

New ones are fine action movies, especially compared to other new action movies but they don’t feel Star Trek at all.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 23:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

1- The Motion Picture
2- The Undiscovered Country
3- The Wrath of Khan
4- The Voyage Home
5- Generations
6- Insurrection
7- The Search For Spock
8- The Final Frontier (because the next few did things that irk me as a fan)
9- First Contact (I HATE the redesign of the Borg and the concept [and character] of the queen, which demystified them)
10- Nemesis (Horrible writing. I hope Star Trek: Picard glosses over or ignores this movie. In the series, Lore was the only 'prototype' Data. B4 was a retcon and a cop-out to justify
[Reveal] Spoiler:
killing off Data.
End of discussion.)
11- Star Trek XI (Go home, JJ Abrams; you're drunk)
12- Star Trek Into Darkness (I SAID GO HOME, NOT DOUBLE DOWN WITH THE VERY UN-TREK MILITARISM AND PANDERING)
??- Star Trek Beyond (didn't watch; thank goodness Star Trek Discovery brought the franchise back from the lows of Enterprise and Abrams.)

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 01:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don't have a complete list because %80 of them are deeply mediocre, IMO. Khan is of course the best. I like Insurrection and Nemesis absolutely sucks. Beyond that they're all tied for meh, either because they failed so badly (I) or because they are goofy as hell (III/IV) to the point of self parody of self parody.

Star Trek is, IMO, the best scifi series ever but that's when taken as a whole. The movies aren't the good part though. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 11:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I like Insurrection and Nemesis absolutely sucks

I used to agree but the last time I watched them, I finally realized Insurrection was a lot worse than I remembered, and Nemesis was a lot better than I remembered.

That is not to say I've had a complete reversal of opinion of course, that I think Insurrection is an absolute dumpster fire and Nemesis is some hidden gem. I just don't know which one is actually worse anymore.

Also Star Trek III is "goofy as hell"? Surely you mean IV and V?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 14:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Honestly, any of the ones with the old man jokes just have me sighing every minute or so that even includes Generations.

The Mad Max dune buggy crap in Nemesis is just...so bad.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 15:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think First Contact is the only TNG era movie that's actually any good - the main plot in Generations isn't even that bad, it's all the pointless crap that happens in it for no other reason than to introduce pathos. Kirk didn't need to die, but I find the completely unnecessary offscreen deaths of Picard's family even more pointless. And the less said about the plot contrivances of Enterprise-B somehow being the "only ship in range" when they're in EARTH ORBIT and all the lame gags about all the crap being installed "on tuesday" the better.

And even First Contact has one gigantic issue and that's the introduction of the Borg Queen, a change to the species hierarchy that may have been eventually abused to death in Voyager, but it was First Contact's fault she even exists.

And yet despite of all these criticism, I still can't bring myself to hate any of the TOS movies despite their faults and plot contrivances. I wonder if it's entirely because of the TOS era being largely devoid of any major story and character arcs that makes it easier to dismiss any negative implications any specific events may have on the larger canon.

It's probably also why I enjoy Voyager as a whole more than DS9. The problem with the latter being heavily arc-driven is that any major error on the behalf of the writers ends up being a weight they will have to carry for the rest of the series. For example, when Odo kills all those future colonists, it isn't something they can just sweep under the rug, they have to acknowledge it; this is what Odo's character is like now. Whereas if this happened in Voyager, it wouldn't matter because they'd just forget about it by the next episode. Voyager just tends to ignore character development entirely which is both a good and a bad thing; good for reasons I already mentioned, plus you can simply skip the bad episodes on rewatches, something you can't really do with a heavily arc-driven show; bad because it does have the annoying side effect of having stupid nonsense like Kim learning the same lesson about leadership or Seven of Nine discovering her humanity multiple times.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 03:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A bunch of haters itt.

They aren't amazing works of film. I mainly view the TNG movies as made for tv extended episodes. That helps.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 22:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Favourites are First Contact and Undiscovered Country.

Khan is also great and Khan/Spock/Voyage make a nice sort of trilogy.

Based on your recommendation I pulled out my LD of Star Trek VI yesterday. Never seen it before.

Are you kidding me? You prefer this courtroom procedural that's more like an episode of Murder She Wrote than the epicness of terraforming a whole world, The original Enterprise going down, Spock DYING and coming back to life, Kirk's son dying, meeting God in TMP and time travel in IV?? Huhhhhhhh?????

:thumbdown:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 00:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Murder She Wrote...perfect reference. That’s pretty much exactly where those TOS movies went. Comfort food for old people.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 00:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Star Trek IV is really good. I vaguely remember people telling me it was bad, and immediately questioned their taste after.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 01:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
Murder She Wrote...perfect reference. That’s pretty much exactly where those TOS movies went. Comfort food for old people.

I watched her when I was younger but then sometimes I feel like I was born at the wrong time but then I realize I wouldn't enjoy the stuff that I have over time if it was different. I love being born in the year of the Dark Crystal and Blade Runner while being exactly 15 years younger than Julia Roberts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]