It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Intermittent Crackle on Digital Audio (CLD-1080)
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 20:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi folks, I was recently given a CLD-1080, manufacture date 1990. I opened it up & it was clean, aside from a faint fishy odour. That can sometimes mean bad caps, but I didn't see anything obvious. Anyway, after exercising the pickup slide by hand a little bit, it works fine & passes all functional tests. I'd say it's at 95% operation.

The 5% is a crackle in the digital audio output. This doesn't happen all the time. It's disc-dependent, & it only occurs during some sections of the disc. So, for instance, it occurs during the first & last 20 minutes of side A of my copy of Heavy Metal (that side is pretty speckly). It only occurs during the first 5 minutes of side B. It's all through my copy of LaserVision Demonstration (CAV), doesn't happen at all during Good-Bye Mama (12cm VSD), or on CDs so far as I have yet found.

It's not a huge problem, because I rarely need to play the digital soundtrack in opposition to the analog one. But if there's an easy fix, such as turning up the RF level pot, I'd like to apply it. This particular player is most likely going to be my choice for the A-Kon Classic Anime Festival next weekend.

Post subject: Re: Intermittent Crackle on Digital Audio (CLD-1080)
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 21:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think this is disc rot, I remember reading that digital audio goes first as rot? or some rot?
Hope someone else can chime in about this.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 00:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I think this is disc rot, I remember reading that digital audio goes first as rot? or some rot?

^I assume he's tested the discs with his other players and the problem has been isolated to the 1080.

Good to see you here again Publius and good to hear you're still spinning LDs for the public.

I had this exact infuriating problem with 2 of my old Pioneers, it's one of the reasons I only use Sony now. Sony audio is rock solid.

I never figured it out after asking here, I just threw them in the trash but with your skills (and your scope) I like your chances of fixing yours.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 03:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

Yeah, isn't Heavy Metal a notorious rotter?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 03:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Yeah, isn't Heavy Metal a notorious rotter?

You honestly think someone like Publius hasn't tested his Heavy Metal copy's digital audio on other players? :eh:

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 06:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the RF signal is adjusted too low or the output is getting weak the digital audio decode requires a larger signal so it will start having dropouts first. Then when the RF is a little weaker you’ll start to see the video degrade. Try turning up the RF gain to see if that fixes the digital audio dropouts.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 10:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recall having a digital audio crackling issue on my ProScan, PSLD43 (CLD-2090 clone) and it was related to a pot that I ended up turning up a tad bit and it has been good ever since. I don’t recall if it was the RF pot but could very well be it. I know I also adjusted my Focus pot on this player before but that was due to thick lines going through the video near the end of a disc side.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 14:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
You honestly think someone like Publius hasn't tested his Heavy Metal copy's digital audio on other players? :eh:

Right now nothing will shock me. :shh:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 01:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hmm. Looks as though the tracking needs a bit of adjustment ― I have a disc with a defective spot which some players will play through, but this one will not. I don't see the manual in the repository here. Where should I look for the relevant or applicable procedures & diagrams?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my very first LD player was a 1080, that my grandma bought me from a used video shop for around $15 back around 2001/2002.
lady running the shop claimed it wouldn't play back LD anymore, but would handle CD just fine.

well, turned out it would spin up neither, and, after a minute or two,
the laser lens actuation assembly would begin vibrating rapidly, and an awful, Fishy/Rat Pee-like odor would begin skulking out.

i kept the player anyway, as i just liked having one, dead or otherwise.

then, around 2005, still looking for a player, but yet to discover internet sales as a means to procure one,
i found a hock shop that had a like-new 1080 for $50. grandma came through once more and bought it for me.

it worked quite well, until i was taking it down the VERY narrow steps down to the front door of her house,
to take it out to the car, and, near the top, i stumbled, and, though i managed to catch myself,
the player wen't careening down to smash face-first into the brass hand railing, and that was the end of that.

in sum, as you might have guessed, the model designation CLD-1080
bears a personal handful of positive connotations, as well as a veritable truckload of decidedly negative ones...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]