It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: VHD was close to release in the US
PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 14:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

there are actually some movies that were produce. Would love to have this in the US but I'm fine with the Japanese releases. :D

Post subject: Re: VHD was close to release in the US
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 01:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

That's a great video. Thanks. Having seen an early demo of LD that only served to give me a combination of sticker shock & meh, I was amazed that something like CED was even attempted. The couple times I saw it in action, every movie they put in skipped terribly. I can't believe VHD came so close to being released. I believe it would have taken the ability to record for it to have any chance and that wasn't going to happen any time soon. I do wonder what kind of features may have eventually developed from some of the cool abilities, but even my DVL-700 has a button marked "aspect" that I have no idea what it was supposed to be for. I'm sure someone here does, but my point is that, sadly, those extra abilities seem to often just be dead ends.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 04:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

remav wrote:
...but even my DVL-700 has a button marked "aspect" that I have no idea what it was supposed to be for. I'm sure someone here does, but my point is that, sadly, those extra abilities seem to often just be dead ends.

There is no place in the DVL-700 to define what kind of TV you have. "Aspect" toggles between 16:9 and 4:3 output.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 05:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
There is no place in the DVL-700 to define what kind of TV you have. "Aspect" toggles between 16:9 and 4:3 output.

Thanks, that's what I would have expected, but then thought maybe it only worked on certain LDs.
I wonder if that button is broken because I've never had any change appear on screen by pressing it.
I have a 2007-ish Sony 52" XBR4 Bravia (KDL52XBR4). Not even a blink or anything that would indicate it attempted to do something. I have a 2nd DVL-700 hooked up to a CRT trinitron. Tried that one & same thing.
Will have to try programming my Harmony remote.

UPDATE - Harmony also does nothing. I confirmed both remotes are sending a signal because when you turn off the front display it will come on whenever a remote signal is received. Desperate measures now... hunting down the manual :yawn:
Sorry I chose a bad example... how about the "angle" button? Which discs offer an alternative angle? (I'm assuming?)

UPDATE UPDATE - Features for DVD playback only. ...duh. Forgot about that "feature" :oops:
(Never Never Never waste whatever life your player has by playing a DVD!)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019, 07:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Demonstration of my US model VHD player:

Earlier video of it running with the cover off, as I was fixing some internal problems- mechanism was sticking and needed WD-40:

Intro and side bumpers from a US disc:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019, 13:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

8traxrule wrote:
Demonstration of my US model VHD player:

Earlier video of it running with the cover off, as I was fixing some internal problems- mechanism was sticking and needed WD-40:

Intro and side bumpers from a US disc:

Where did you find the player? Is it basically a Japanese player with a few differences?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 03:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Got it from an Ebay seller who got it from an estate sale of someone who worked for VHD Programs Inc, which would have marketed the format here- and it is made in Japan but intended for the US market, with a US power plug and RF output. They sent me a picture of a whole bunch of other discs that were there but they only picked up a few of them (I got Popeye, Close Encounters, American Graffiti, Paul Simon in Concert, Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fights, Jaws 2 and Airplane.) It kills me to think of what might have happened to the rest- I would have bought them all if I were there!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2022, 14:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Let's see what Video Store 64 says about this:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 05:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Someone in southern CA was selling some US VHDs a few months ago. I got a few but what REALLY hurt was seeing a demo disc go up for sale and someone else getting it before I could! That would have been pure gold and I would have put it on YouTube by now. I told the seller to share my contact info with the guy who bought it hoping to get a DVD copy, but I haven't heard a word.

I do have a super-rare US disc made for kids, similar to First National Kidisc and Fun and Games, which I'll upload eventually- it's taken me a while because it skips like crazy. I've been digitizing it playing over and over, with some sections playing smoothly and skipping through others, and I'll edit it all together cleanly on the computer. I've cobbled together a decent presentation of side 1 so far, just have to finish side 2 now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]