It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommend a good inexpensive home theatre
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 04:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hey all

I am wondering if you all have a recommendation on a home theatre to replace what I have or simply trade me :)

It’s a Yamaha htr 5730, something like this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=htr5730&t=fpas&ia=web (and then hit image search)

I originally received the receiver from a friend, and picked up the speakers, remote and subwoofer separately on eBay to get everything it supposedly came with. It seems to work fine, as designed; some of the speakers are a little rough looking though.

My main problem is the user interface is so convoluted, and I can’t seem to get any surround to work when using digital coax or optical from a LD player. I have two, a cld-59, and a dvl-700. A cheap Costco special blue ray player has no problem getting surround. I’ve been through that Yamaha setup several times and it never seems to detect the surround from a LD.

the main room has a Samsung home theatre that does just send sound to 5 speakers. Why can’t the Yamaha?!

So can anyone recommend a fairly decent surround receiver that will just send sound to the 5 speakers with no fuss?! ;).

Or

Does anyone else have experience with this receiver?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Recommend a good inexpensive home theatre
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 14:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good luck, these receivers are not as easy as they seem, or at least for me.
I've never owned this model but you have to go into the on screen menu and do a lot or know what you are doing and use the manual and
change settings everytime to get the correct surround mode.

I had mine on 7 channel stereo, you may want to find some type of Dolby or some such setting.
Also its harder as LD is not programmed to automatically select the correct audio other than DTS and if you have an older AV you can get AC3 to automatically
select.

Otherwise you need to manually select the audio you want of surround etc.

Post subject: Re: Recommend a good inexpensive home theatre
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 02:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bryanb wrote:

My main problem is the user interface is so convoluted, and I can’t seem to get any surround to work when using digital coax or optical from a LD player.

The problem w/ most of today's AV Receivers (well... not a problem for me 8-) ) is that each input is set to remember what decoding mode it was set on. For example, when you listen to the radio, it's preferred to just keep it on two channel mode and the receiver will do that if you left it that way. Once you switch to a DVD input, in most cases it will fire up all the speakers because that was the setting you left it in but it may also switch to surround automatically if it detects a Dolby Digital or DTS codec (but not PCM).

So in regards to LaserDisc, the type of sound coming out of the coax or optical output is always going to be PCM (or DTS). And because it's PCM, the AV Receiver usually assumes it's two channel audio (because that's what it is). At this point, you need to hit the "Stereo" and "Program" buttons on the AV Receiver to manually force it to decode Pro-Logic or some other DSP surround mode (usually avoid the DSP surround mode as they are just gimicky attempts to mimic different room environments).

Quote:
I have two, a cld-59, and a dvl-700. A cheap Costco special blue ray player has no problem getting surround. I’ve been through that Yamaha setup several times and it never seems to detect the surround from a LD.

That does make sense because your Blu-Ray will be outputing either Dolby Digital or DTS so the AV Receiver knows to activate "discrete" surround. Once again, you need to force the AV Receiver to a surround mode for PCM sources.

Also as an FYI, remember that some LaserDisc titles will not have "digital sound" encoding. These are usually older titles and when you play them to your AV Receiver you will still need to connect the white and red (Left and Right) analog audio outputs of the LD player to the Receiver as well.

Here is the manual for your AV Receiver as a reference....

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... r-5730.pdf

Definitely a bare bones unit that should suffice for now but you'll definitely want to upgrade @ some point.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]