It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:02

Page 1 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a player with BothSide and full CAV support
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 19:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello everyone,

I own a CLD-D503 player with a D704 remote. I've had this player for many years and it does it's job nicely... I have watched, most of, my collection on this thing. However, when i was super young, we had a 303 or a 3003.. something like that, can't remember. Watched some movies on that too, before it passed away.

Anyways, i'm looking for a second Laserdisc player. I love my D503, it's excellent in my opinion, but i've never really experienced true CAV support. The D503 supports CAV discs and will play them, but there isn't a jog on the unit, so you can't go frame by frame. My D704 remote, which does have jog support, also does not make the machine go frame by frame.

Yes, i know what you are thinking... "Well of course it does not work"; I just wanted to try. Growing up, pretty much all the players i have seen in stores had this functionality, so i was hoping maybe my personal player had it, but it was just unused. I was wrong.

So yes, i'm looking for a LD players with BothSidePlay, full CAV support and, if possible, AC3, as i'm looking to get into that. I was thinking of maybe just getting a CLD-D704 but damn.. they go for like 300.

I have had so many bad experiences buying Laserdisc players off of eBay; I've purchased 5 of them off of ebay in my time... 3 of them came non working. I spent 200+ a piece and seller refused return... ebay didn't help. The 4th one was my D503 and the 5th is a DVL-909; My DVL hasn't arrived yet, so i can't say. I stopped attempting to fix LD players because their engineering is too intricate..

If anyone has any suggestions on a player, i'd love to know. Price matters; I'm not looking to get burned again...

EDIT: This thread has been solved. I've decided to just find a CLD-3030, eventually.

Last edited by vectrex3000 on 13 Jul 2019, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a player with BothSide and full CAV support
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 20:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Craigslist or local pickup.
Even try putting an ad on craigslist.
Where are you located?

Probably a CLD-3030

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 20:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I like the CLD-D606. The only issue is the M-Holder often is broken. If you like the D503, getting the D703 or D704 will make you very happy.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 21:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Every player ever has full CAV support. The jog dial was a hack added on top of this basic functionality. All it does is sequence the step buttons and Multi-Speed to simulate a Moviola or whether. The same thing should work cross-Pioneer. So the remote from a 99 or X-0 should do the same thing on an S201 as far as I know.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 22:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Every player ever has full CAV support.

I remember reading about some (incredibly basic) player on laserdiscarchive not having CAV support but I think it only meant you couldn't do freeze frame and step by step with it.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 00:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s possible the functionality isn’t a available in some super specific model but in general they all do still, step, and frame number access, even the very first decks. Multi-speed may have been invented later. The jog dial came out in like 1988 I think with the W-1 and another deck.

On these decks like the 704 the outer ring is an analog Multi-speed control. When you push the red button the jog dial becomes active and as soon as you move it the player will pause if it isn’t already. Electronics in the remote translate your speed and direction of rotations into rapidly sequenced Step and Multi-speed commands that are still the best frame-by-frame tool in all commercial video, IMO.

CLV discs will not work with this stuff unless it’s a player with Trick Play which eventually most were. In CLV Trick Play more the scanning isn’t half as smooth as CAV and frame access isn’t possible.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 00:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
and frame number access

I'm still trying to figure out how to do that on my player. Considering how no-frills it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have that feature, but the only manual in the database for that model are in languages I understand none of.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 00:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s possible the functionality isn’t a available in some super specific model but in general they all do still, step, and frame number access, even the very first decks. Multi-speed may have been invented later. The jog dial came out in like 1988 I think with the W-1 and another deck.

On these decks like the 704 the outer ring is an analog Multi-speed control. When you push the red button the jog dial becomes active and as soon as you move it the player will pause if it isn’t already. Electronics in the remote translate your speed and direction of rotations into rapidly sequenced Step and Multi-speed commands that are still the best frame-by-frame tool in all commercial video, IMO.

CLV discs will not work with this stuff unless it’s a player with Trick Play which eventually most were. In CLV Trick Play more the scanning isn’t half as smooth as CAV and frame access isn’t possible.

My player certainly cannot access individual frames nor pause on a frame. The D503 remote does not have a jog on the remote at all, only the unit. The dial only rewinds and fast forwards; It can't do frame by frame or frame pausing.

I had a 3030! Someone mentioned it above... that's what i had long ago that broke. Neat.

Seems like a 3030 and a D704 would be the best bet. D7XX are insanely expensive though.

I'm not a fan of craigslist. I've been scammed twice out of the 9 or so times i've used it in the past 3 years. I'm located in USA.

I'll just scout eBay i suppose.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 00:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
My player certainly cannot access individual frames nor pause on a frame.

Which remote do you have?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 01:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The button is usually called Frame/Time or something to that affect because CLV discs are time based and CAV discs are frame based. Press the button, then enter the frame or time number, then press Play.

Pro tip: just because your deck or remote doesn’t have the button doesn’t mean the player can’t do the job. If you can give it the command with another remote or the serial port it will likely do it.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 01:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

503 will do still step on CAV only discs, I own one and it works with or without the remote.
Its upstairs and I'll check what button you need to use on the front.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 02:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, the 503 is a weird deck because it’s really modern but decontented to make some mid price point. It doesn’t have digital field memory (no Trick Play on CLV discs) but it does have Both Side play and the single CD drawer and is really solid, IMO.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 03:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:

I have the remote that comes with the CLD-D704.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 03:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:

I have the remote that comes with the CLD-D704.

Have you tried using the step buttons instead of pause to access frame by frame?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 07:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Quote:
Have you tried using the step buttons instead of pause to access frame by frame?

Yes. I've also but the remote into jog mode. Nothing.

I've read the D504 manual online and i've got a D704 manual on hand. I cannot get any CAV features to work.

I think perhaps i'll invest in a CLD-3030, if i can get one for under 80 bucks. A friend of mine has a 3030, i found out earlier. Got it on ebay for about 50 free shipping.

Pretty good price, i'd say. I got my DVL-909 for 120 bucks free ship.. hope the shipping does not break it.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 15:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Just to be as clear as possible.

CAV let you use CAV features. CAV discs are 30 minutes per side.

CLV discs will just print “CLV” on the screen if you try to use any CAV features on them like Step. You cannot use CAV features on a CLV disc unless you have a player with digital field memory which the 503 isn’t. CLV discs are 60min per side. By the mid 90s CAV editions of stuff almost disappeared since people in general wanted cheaper releases that they had to flip less.

So you have CAV disc and it doesn’t freeze frame when you hit one of the Step buttons, is that correct?

I’m thinking you’re probably not in that situation and that’s why it doesn’t work. I have a 503 and a 99 with original remotes and those remotes are almost identical to the one that the 704 uses. I can triple check this later but all these jog dial remotes work on almost every player ever made. My hunch is that you aren’t using a CAV disc since you haven’t specifically stated this.

So here is the question; when using the 704’s remote on your 503 and you can’t get CAV features to work, exactly what disc are you using? Catalog number or a link to the LDDB for that disc would be preferred.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 21:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Just to be as clear as possible.

CAV let you use CAV features. CAV discs are 30 minutes per side.

CLV discs will just print “CLV” on the screen if you try to use any CAV features on them like Step. You cannot use CAV features on a CLV disc unless you have a player with digital field memory which the 503 isn’t. CLV discs are 60min per side. By the mid 90s CAV editions of stuff almost disappeared since people in general wanted cheaper releases that they had to flip less.

So you have CAV disc and it doesn’t freeze frame when you hit one of the Step buttons, is that correct?

I’m thinking you’re probably not in that situation and that’s why it doesn’t work. I have a 503 and a 99 with original remotes and those remotes are almost identical to the one that the 704 uses. I can triple check this later but all these jog dial remotes work on almost every player ever made. My hunch is that you aren’t using a CAV disc since you haven’t specifically stated this.

So here is the question; when using the 704’s remote on your 503 and you can’t get CAV features to work, exactly what disc are you using? Catalog number or a link to the LDDB for that disc would be preferred.

I'm perfectly aware of the difference between CAV and CLV. My CLV discs display a time, my CAV discs count frames... i know the difference.

My player does not do ANY CAV features.

I have tried:

Hard Boiled: Special Edition #245 (1992) [CC1397L]

Toy Story: Deluxe CAV Laserdisc Edition (1995) [8847 CS]

These are the only CAV-only titles i own.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 23:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

And the player we’re taking about is a 503?

I can’t think of any explanation for this. I do have a 503 though and I have a 99 which has a remote that is, I’m pretty sure, internally identical to the ones the 704 came with. I’ll hook them up, see what happens, and get back here.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 23:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
And the player we’re taking about is a 503?

I can’t think of any explanation for this. I do have a 503 though and I have a 99 which has a remote that is, I’m pretty sure, internally identical to the ones the 704 came with. I’ll hook them up, see what happens, and get back here.

Yes, that is correct. I have a Pioneer CLD-D503.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2019, 04:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Your CLD-D704 remote should be able to access all the CAV special effects feature on your CLD-D503.

As noted in the pic below, all of your slow motion and step features should work w/ the buttons highlighted in "red". The high speed forward and reverse effects will work w/ the shuttle ring highlighted in "orange" (the jog portion within the shuttle ring will not work w/ the CLD-D503).

If none of this works for you, then maybe there is something else not working.

Page 1 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next