Jedi Master

takou wrote:
admin wrote:
If I had to choose:

For the best video on LD:

For the best soundtrack on LD:

Julien

Same for me.

It's just a shame that the DTS Gatefold has a mouth opening facing toward the inside of the gatefold...
Therfore making it extra difficult to pull the discs out without damaging the gatefold. Dumb idea.
Never had any other gatefolds like this one.

I hate that, the criterion The Killer has that and I think Close Encounters had it, there may be another but I can't remember.
Very hard to get that disc out from inside, I always feel like I'm going to tear the sleeve.
Wish they thought things through a little more with very few of these multi disc sleeves.

Post subject: Re: Best Jurassic Park LD release
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 03:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Jurassic Park:

Hi Vision:

Video: 3.5/5;
Average to above average for a Hi Vision film release. Some people report a green tint but I don’t have it on my HLD-X0 + Sony MSC-4000. Better than the DVD release but not vastly better.

Audio: 2.5/5;
Dance audio codec has 6db less dynamic range than the standard PCM audio. It is an uncommon standard and we are stuck with 25 years old DACs (even back then they weren’t the very best DACs). I would say even the DD LD sounds better.

Cover: 3/5;
3 for the sake of the Digipack otherwise pretty standard cover art.

Blu-ray:

Video: 3.5/5;
This is from an older 2K master made for the LD, DVD and later the HD broadcast versions(probably even the Hi-Vision release). I know the DVD release used the same master that was used on the LD release. I believe the newer 3D release is a brand new master but it is in faux 3D. This is a good case where you can see the same master in different media resolutions. Blu-ray looks the best by a good margin, Hi-vision noticeably sharper than the LD and mildly better than the DVD releases. This makes sense, you have the same master displayed on 1K, ~550, 480 and ~400 vertical lines of resolution on BD, Hi-Vision(during motion), DVD, LD respectively.

Audio: 4.5/5;
Blu-ray audio is superb. It is lossless, involving and very good sounding. DTS LD release has more punch and the rear effect surrounds are mastered at higher volume than other releases. You can hear the lossy sound of the DTS encoding on a very revealing system. I would rank the DTS LD 4.5/5 as well. It’s a toss up between exaggerated dynamics vs high fidelity.

Cover: 2.5/5;
Probably worst than all.

4K UHD Blu-ray:

Video: 4.5/5;
The best this movie ever looked. Brand new master. I have nothing bad to say. If you have a 4K TV, by all means this one is to watch. Looks significantly better than the 2K Blu-ray.

Audio: 4.5/5;
Worthy of the video transfer.

Cover: 2.5/5;
Nothing interesting here either. I believe the French LD release has the best cover.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 03:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Which blu-ray tho? :P I got the trilogy tin which is quite nice.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 04:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

takeshi666 wrote:
Which blu-ray tho? :P I got the trilogy tin which is quite nice.

I believe they are all the same except the 3D release. I am not sure on the Blu-ray disc bundled with the 4K BD packaging. It might be from the new 4K master. It’s just you don’t watch the BD disc when you have the 4K one sitting next to it.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 04:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well yes, I would imagine the discs are identical across the board (the tin I have is a UK release but still has JP subs IIRC), I mostly asked because of the "cover" part.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 06:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Dear substance, I thinkt the question was which of the LD releases looks the best and not which of all the releases in the past 25 years looks the best including Blu-ray, etc. Nonetheless it was an interesting read.

I bought the Jurassic Park dts LD last year for 4 US $ in Hong Kong. It looks great for an LD and it most definitely sounds great.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2