It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:42

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Finally got my first rotter on LDDB. Have you?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 04:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello,

I've finally gotten my first rotter from an LDDB shop. I had quite a bit of bulk orders, so i initially confused myself and though this disc was from eBay; After checking records, i had actually purchased this
from "Discount LaserDisc" on LDDB. The disc in question is Bill Murray's "Larger than Life".

Discount Laserdisc graded the movie an 8/10 and the comment was "Great". The movie itself suffers from rot like crazy. Colored specs over the video at all times.. half way in, the video becomes wavy and even loses color in some segments. The audio is also greatly impacted at times. -- I did watch the whole movie though, but it was very difficult.. Almost gave up to go rent it on Amazon.

I only paid 5 dollars; I don't know if it's worth returning.

Has anyone else gotten a rotter from LDDB? Curious on everyone's individual experience as a whole.

This was my first ever rotter from here; rest were (can you guess?) eBay.

Ciao..

Post subject: Re: Finally got my first rotter on LDDB. Have you?
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 06:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It's not unusual to get a rotter since the sellers can never be sure if they have one or not (not every seller has a player to verify the disc and even if they did they don't always understand what it is).

Best thing to do is just ask before you make the purchase. Following is my generic question I ask all the sellers I plan to buy from...

Hi seller,

Can I confirm if this disc does not suffer from any “laser rot” issues during video playback?

Also, can I verify that if I purchase the disc that you will send it in a sturdy LP mailer box (been receiving too many cracked discs due to sellers sending in mailing envelopes).

Thanks,

LDFan

FYI... I also inquire about how a seller packages what they sell since I have dealt w/ the mentioned cracked discs. No one should be sending LD's in a mailer.

Anyway, I would send a message to the seller to explain that the disc you have has rot and request a return authorization. You might have to explain to the seller what rot is because they might push back to say that they "physically checked" the disc and as you know that makes no difference. All the sellers I have dealt with have been good about refunding me back the money and just letting me keep the disc since they have no use for a rotter.

Anyway, always ask the rot question before you buy. That way you prepare the seller for the possibility of a return and make them think twice about pulling an "all sales final" excuse.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 11:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectrex3000 wrote:
I've finally gotten my first rotter from an LDDB shop. I had quite a bit of bulk orders, so i initially confused myself and though this disc was from eBay; After checking records, i had actually purchased this
from "Discount LaserDisc" on LDDB. The disc in question is Bill Murray's "Larger than Life".

Have you tried contacting the seller first?
That would be the first logical step.

No surprise: Larger Than Life (1996) [ML105492] is pressed by the infamous/doomed/hated SONY DADC plant.

Stats seem to indicate than any master (check the mint marks) above 2500 will call for trouble.

Maybe I should flag ANY SONY DADC-only release for extra rot-check when ordered from a shop?

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 11:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ldfan wrote:
It's not unusual to get a rotter since the sellers can never be sure if they have one or not (not every seller has a player to verify the disc and even if they did they don't always understand what it is).

Same issue arises with exotic hardware that requires extra components to be fully tested (ex: MUSE Player+LD to test Hi-Vision decoder or AC3RF player to test AC3RF demodulators).

Usually the Seller flags it as "working" because the Power LED turns on when powered.
But they have little to no idea as to fully test the unit.

Had to send back quite many after proving that the seller didn't test/didn't know what he/she was selling.
Or sometimes you just get a full refund and trash them.

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 16:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I haven't had it happen yet. I've only ordered from a few stores though. Mr G & wife J and Lazerblazer are two of the very best imho.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 17:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
I haven't had it happen yet. I've only ordered from a few stores though. Mr G & wife J and Lazerblazer are two of the very best imho.

Yeah, those two sellers are great. If only they didn't send via media mail!

Comic Jungle and Finder's Cove is also really good. I've had nothing but satisfaction with all 4 of these sellers.

I honestly don't know if 5 dollars is worth returning. I might just keep the disc as an example disc that i can man handle; It's almost unwatchable so who cares.

Might frame the jacket, though.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 17:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ask for priority. I'm sure they will if you are paying for it.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 07:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectrex3000 wrote:

That's was I did with my Game, The (1997) [ID4260PG] and Lost Highway (1997) [ID3946PG].

Image Image

I played frisbee with the discs but kept the covers to display.

Julien

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 14:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

vectrex3000 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Comic Jungle and Finder's Cove is also really good. I've had nothing but satisfaction with all 4 of these sellers.

I honestly don't know if 5 dollars is worth returning. I might just keep the disc as an example disc that i can man handle; It's almost unwatchable so who cares.

What's wrong with Media Mail???

I'll send packages Express if you pay :lol:

Still digging through my discs to sell, going to post them in my shop as its very slow on ebay.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 22:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

What's wrong with Media Mail???

I'll send packages Express if you pay :lol:

Still digging through my discs to sell, going to post them in my shop as its very slow on ebay.

It's slow a balls and does not offer any protection. It's just an economy way of sending LPs, LDs and books.

And go ahead but no thanks :lolno:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 22:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

?? You get protection if you pay for it.
You can always add insurance from the post office for any service for an extra cost.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 23:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
You can always add insurance from the post office for any service for an extra cost.

I don't want to 'pay for insurance'. I want my discs to be snug and handled properly.

Media mail is just a white box, thin as chips. Nearly impossible to find 6+ discs and padding; I'm surprised i haven't gotten any cracked discs with how
the post treats them.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 00:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

vectrex3000 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I don't want to 'pay for insurance'. I want my discs to be snug and handled properly.

Media mail is just a white box, thin as chips. Nearly impossible to find 6+ discs and padding; I'm surprised i haven't gotten any cracked discs with how
the post treats them.

What are you really talking about.
Media mail is a service.

Insurance is a service.

If you buy something from you are paying for the extra service like shipping or insurance.
This is how it works.

Amazon free shipping is a different story.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 01:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, you can pad media mail as much as you want. You just can’t include a thank you card or cookies anything, it has to be “media” of some kind and that’s all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 10:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:

No surprise: Larger Than Life (1996) [ML105492] is pressed by the infamous/doomed/hated SONY DADC plant.

Stats seem to indicate than any master (check the mint marks) above 2500 will call for trouble.

Maybe I should flag ANY SONY DADC-only release for extra rot-check when ordered from a shop?

Julien

Agreed.

I purchased quite a few discs from Discount Laserdisc and very happy with the discs and service. I mean ask the question about the the title and returning it for sure but maybe it's just a teensy weensy but harsh calling them out publicly before giving them any chance to respond to what you decide to do?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 11:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
admin wrote:

Julien

Agreed.

I purchased quite a few discs from Discount Laserdisc and very happy with the discs and service. I mean ask the question about the the title and returning it for sure but maybe it's just a teensy weensy but harsh calling them out publicly before giving them any chance to respond to what you decide to do?

Why does everyone seem to think I'm calling them out? Nowhere in this thread do I trash talk discount laserdisc or make any statements, in harshness, against them.

This thread is about discussing the fact I got a Rotter from LDDB, as well as specifying which movie, while asking if others have ever had a similar experience. Jesus.

It's been made clear the movie is simply a junk pressing and basically a time bomb. Thread closed.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 11:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You can't close your own thread!

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 15:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thread Open.

I feel Media Mail in the USA is the best option for shipping as long as sellers know how to pack.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 16:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I bought some discs from a German seller a while back, I really only just wanted one disc and the others were cheap filler, and what do you know, those played fine but the disc I actually wanted had severe rot. I got a refund but I'm still pretty bummed about that.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 16:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
Why does everyone seem to think I'm calling them out? Nowhere in this thread do I trash talk discount laserdisc or make any statements, in harshness, against them.

This thread is about discussing the fact I got a Rotter from LDDB, as well as specifying which movie, while asking if others have ever had a similar experience. Jesus.

It's been made clear the movie is simply a junk pressing and basically a time bomb. Thread closed.

Everyone? Did I miss something on another thread??

If there was any "calling out" I'm happy to take it as mine; here.

But you did also choose to specify the seller in that original statement while asking... before the seller had any chance to respond to the issue; that's all I was commenting on; and with several deliberately forgiving terms like maybe, just a; have to say "teensy weensy" is a bit of a fav (and indicative of intent).

Was just trying to say "feel your pain" but since you named the seller upfront it was also a bit of "just try to sort it with them first" before what could potentially be seen as a name and shame episode went on here.

I guess just like the thread title says "caveat emptor caveat venditor". Kind of a shared responsibility in a community sense. It's a known rotter. Ask the question; and check before sending!!

Maybe it's a bit late to ask but give it a go; you never know....

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next