It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:13

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Grave of the Fireflies CAV obi
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 07:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The head of Unit 731, a horror show so graphically dramatized in Men Behind the Sun, was a guy named Shiro Ishii. After the war, the United States pardoned him of his war crimes (full immunity) and hired him to consult on fun things like germ warfare. He was ultimately brought to Fort Detrick to work on these black projects - a lab where scary work with infectious and chemical agents continue to this day. You see, it's hard to torture people to death in the name of "science" during peacetime, so Ishii was their man to get the cold war biowarfare program jumpstarted with all the human vivisection data in his head.

I wonder if that fun fact will ever be shown in an American film. The "Men Behind the Sun" like Ishii got away with their war crimes because the cold war landscape of US/Japan alliance was pitted against a faceless enemy of communists like the Chinese. Imagine the outrage if we had hired Josef Mengele on a tidy salary as a medical consultant - Ishii was exactly analogous.

The total war conditions of WWII were a charnel house that left many hands dirty, including the "good guys" in cases like that of Ishii. Maybe it would grant some measure of solace to the souls of the Chinese who died at 731 if we made a new 731 movie that showed Ishii's postwar career and who was responsible for his never being brought to justice...good luck with that.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 12:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

harlock wrote:
The head of Unit 731, a horror show so graphically dramatized in Men Behind the Sun, was a guy named Shiro Ishii. After the war, the United States pardoned him of his war crimes (full immunity) and hired him to consult on fun things like germ warfare. He was ultimately brought to Fort Detrick to work on these black projects - a lab where scary work with infectious and chemical agents continue to this day. You see, it's hard to torture people to death in the name of "science" during peacetime, so Ishii was their man to get the cold war biowarfare program jumpstarted with all the human vivisection data in his head.

I wonder if that fun fact will ever be shown in an American film. The "Men Behind the Sun" like Ishii got away with their war crimes because the cold war landscape of US/Japan alliance was pitted against a faceless enemy of communists like the Chinese. Imagine the outrage if we had hired Josef Mengele on a tidy salary as a medical consultant - Ishii was exactly analogous.

The total war conditions of WWII were a charnel house that left many hands dirty, including the "good guys" in cases like that of Ishii. Maybe it would grant some measure of solace to the souls of the Chinese who died at 731 if we made a new 731 movie that showed Ishii's postwar career and who was responsible for his never being brought to justice...good luck with that.

Using the cold war landscape as an excuse to pardon people like Ishii is especially ironic since the USSR actually tried and convicted several members of Unit 731 for war crimes. The US dismissed these as a mere propaganda move but it's hard to think of these trials as a mere kangaroo court since many of them were obviously guilty as hell, although they definitely had some value as such - the victims were primarily Chinese, who the Russians were rubbing elbows with, so it would've certainly made them very happy see some justice happen.

If you want to see a movie about American war crimes, you're not gonna see one made by Americans. Even Vietnam war movies tend to skirt the issue. Platoon had that one scene with the GIs trying to rape a Vietnamese girl, but that's still a far cry from something like My Lai.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 14:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:

If you want to see a movie about American war crimes, you're not gonna see one made by Americans. Even Vietnam war movies tend to skirt the issue. Platoon had that one scene with the GIs trying to rape a Vietnamese girl, but that's still a far cry from something like My Lai.

My Lai is well documented in American media and historical texts, yes even school textbooks.

War crimes are all through American movies about Vietnam

You know nothing about America.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 14:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

And you know nothing about Asia, your point?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 23:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:

I lived in Japan, studied at university there and worked in their education system for 8 years. Really? You think you know more than me about Japan?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 11:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I understand why you don't appreciate the education system in Japan.
And yes, you are right about existence of revisionism in Japan on some points : for example, what happened in Korea.
Every country did war crimes in their colony, especially concerning women condition. France in Africa was maybe the worst.
But Japan hardly accept it. I think that, one reason is that Japanese people today are to kind to accept the idea that such horrible things could happen in their history.

But I can't agree with you about the animation we are talking about.
The theme of the Takahata animation is not the conflict between nations, that's why you cannot see anything about the army.

I also think that americans did maybe the better movies to criticize WWII and Vietnam - Cold war conflicts. "Born on the Fourth of July", "Dr. Strangelove", etc. and also better movies to criticize other conflicts : "Paths of Glory". (forbidden in France during years, because of his subject, great movie !)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 13:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I lived in Japan, studied at university there and worked in their education system for 8 years. Really? You think you know more than me about Japan?

I've always wondered how is your Japanese? I really fluent or close to that since you've lived there and gone through the school system. I've always want to get to the point where I could get around Japan fine in the language but it's the hardest thing for me to learn but I hope one day to overcome my learning difficulties.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 21:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I've always wondered how is your Japanese? I really fluent or close to that since you've lived there and gone through the school system. I've always want to get to the point where I could get around Japan fine in the language but it's the hardest thing for me to learn but I hope one day to overcome my learning difficulties.

My Japanese sucks, except for casual conversation which is okay, but strange. One of the biggest regrets of my life is not really studying while I was there, just chased girls and products..so dumb..The last year I've been studying daily to try to get Japanese good enough to watch anime raw, which was my original goal in the 90s. Better late than never.

Then again I'm pretty dumb in the scheme of things and not good at picking up languages so yeah it's still a real struggle. I've seen a little progress but it's sloooow.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 21:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

mimylovesjapan wrote:
Every country did war crimes in their colony, especially concerning women condition. France in Africa was maybe the worst.

Not Australia.

We had one colony, New Guinea. No war crimes.

You can't even compare the Imperial Japanese treatment of women and prisoners to anyone but the Russians anyway. No one else comes close to Japanese wartime barbarism against those groups.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 01:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Not Australia.

We had one colony, New Guinea. No war crimes.

You can't even compare the Imperial Japanese treatment of women and prisoners to anyone but the Russians anyway. No one else comes close to Japanese wartime barbarism against those groups.

Probably not on the scale of other countries but remember we're a small population. Smaller than Canada.
You're kidding yourself if you believe no Australian military personnel ever committed any war crimes. It happens in any military, just a matter of degrees and how organised it is.

It still happens today.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 02:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys,

Locking this topic which was about OBI and CAV version of a movie.... but forper started to give it a negative, condescending political spin so it has to stop here.

This is about Laserdisc you know :-)

And if you are in Tokyo before early October this year:Takahata Isao - A Legend in Japanese Animation

Julien

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2