It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Value of Laserdisks
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 10:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi guys!

I am sure it is based on experience. But what is the criterion of valuable laserdiscs for collection? Is there any lists, database, some special crierion, year, type, producer. etc.. Some tips etc. If someone interested, we can even make cooperation too. Thank you in advance for your care.

Post subject: Re: Value of Laserdisks
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 12:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

DTS releases and pretty much anything released in 1999 or later.

Don't tell me you're after sh!t just for it's monetary value too?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 14:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I like collecting, collecting good things, things those important. I like filling small space in my home with valuable things. Please no misunderstanding and prejudice. Thank you.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 16:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Paging SignofZeta to the courtesy phone.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 16:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Paging SignofZeta to the courtesy phone.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 17:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Why are you asking to be told what’s valuable?

Figure out what you want enough to pay anything to get. That’s the meaning of “valuable”. If nothing falls into that category then sell your player.

Almost all of my favorite discs that are hard to find are from the boom years of the format (when there was selection) and have ACTUAL SUBJECT MATTER ON THE DISCS THAT I WANT so what other people value them at for speculation purposes is useless to me.

Are you a broker or a movie fan? Do you know about Bitcoin already? You can fit billions of bitcoins in your apartment. Easy to hide assets in!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 18:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wow I think I need to do a video of what is collectible and what people should be buying.

If you want a rare set then you need to pickup the Astroboy box set I have for sale in my shop, its harder to find that many other LD titles
and the series hasn't been released on DVD or Bluray as of yet in Japanese language or complete as the LD is.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 18:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
If you want a rare set then you need to pickup the Astroboy box set I have for sale in my shop

Yes, buy all of rein-o's laserdiscs and make him a rich man

In fact, I'll tell you what - see these two?

Museums of the World: Louvre Beauty 1 [ICLB-1103]
Museums of the World: Louvre Beauty 2 [ICLB-1104]

I'll cut you a deal, I'll sell you mine for just $50 each! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 19:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Turkiyede bunlari bulmak zor. 97 de DVD cikinca neredeyse hic laserdisc gelmedi. Para edenler genelde 99-01 arasi cikan filmler.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Wow I think I need to do a video of what is collectible and what people should be buying.

If you want a rare set then you need to pickup the Astroboy box set I have for sale in my shop, its harder to find that many other LD titles
and the series hasn't been released on DVD or Bluray as of yet in Japanese language or complete as the LD is.

I’ve been interested in that same set you’ve had for sale for YEARS. If it’s so worth what you are asking then why won’t anyone buy it?

Also, the set is, IIRC, no longer considered “complete” if for no other reason than at least one episode exists only in the NBC version. The Snow Lion, I think it’s called. They put it on the back side of the US ver of Legend of the Forest. It’s still one of the greatest LD sets ever made.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't know about what is truly valuable, rare etc but there are some lists of cool stuff here...

Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant

^ First post in that thread has a couple of links to other threads for some other stuff (unique commentaries).

The only "significant" title I have is The Phantom Menace (Japan only), but I don't think it's rare (even now) or expensive. I got mine sealed just recently.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You know what would really suck? A museum with only valuable paintings in it. No curator on Earth would even consider it because value is irrelevant in the academic world.

Instead of a room of classical sculpture, a room for Egypt, a room for Mesopotamia, etc it’s all organized by dollar value and how much taxable wealth you can hide in it and an entire wing devoted to SAMO. If it’s not worth at least $20M it doesn’t get shown. They keep in in the basement until the value goes up.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I’ve been interested in that same set you’ve had for sale for YEARS. If it’s so worth what you are asking then why won’t anyone buy it?

Also, the set is, IIRC, no longer considered “complete” if for no other reason than at least one episode exists only in the NBC version. The Snow Lion, I think it’s called. They put it on the back side of the US ver of Legend of the Forest. It’s still one of the greatest LD sets ever made.

Yeah, its missing 4 or 5 episodes? They are around in English but I don't know if they were changed other than language.
I found out which are missing, but they are missing from all time not just forgotten from that set.

Easy to answer why nobody is buying it, it was released in 1990 just 9 years too early for the collectard fools. :yawn:

Now if I had bought boxes of 6th day rather than this boring old set I would have been able to make more than a few grand :wtf:
BTW I was grocery shopping last week and saw 6th day for sale, but it was only the DVD and it was 5 bucks :yawn:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
You know what would really suck? A museum with only valuable paintings in it. No curator on Earth would even consider it because value is irrelevant in the academic world.

Instead of a room of classical sculpture, a room for Egypt, a room for Mesopotamia, etc it’s all organized by dollar value and how much taxable wealth you can hide in it and an entire wing devoted to SAMO. If it’s not worth at least $20M it doesn’t get shown. They keep in in the basement until the value goes up.

Hitler's "art".

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 04:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Easy to answer why nobody is buying it, it was released in 1990 just 9 years too early for the collectard fools. :yawn:

I think it's more likely not a lot of people want to spend 1.5 grand on an anime they can't understand...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 11:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I think it's more likely not a lot of people want to spend 1.5 grand on an anime they can't understand...

Not to mention that even if I really wanted it there's been multiple opportunities over the last few years to get it significantly cheaper than that directly from Japan.

Which seems really ironic when here we are flaming this guy (for whom English is a second language) on the assumption that by valuable he only means monetary value....

all wrote:
I like collecting, collecting good things, things those important. I like filling small space in my home with valuable things. Please no misunderstanding and prejudice. Thank you.

Maybe I'm totally wrong; and maybe he is just collecting for collectings sake, but could we just believe for a moment that using words like 'good' and 'important' things he might mean beyond purely monetary value (though the two do tend to coincide) and actually be a little welcoming to a new poster instead of appearing to just cut them down and end up driving them away???

At least someone thought to point him in the direction of the "Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant" thread.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 11:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Maybe I'm totally wrong; and maybe he is just collecting for collectings sake, but could we just believe for a moment that using words like 'good' and 'important' things he might mean beyond purely monetary value (though the two do tend to coincide) and actually be a little welcoming to a new poster instead of appearing to just cut them down and end up driving them away???

At least someone thought to point him in the direction of the "Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant" thread.

Yeah I just thought he's looking for ideas on what to collect.
I'm only sorting through this myself at the moment anyway, I started off just wanting various Japanese Star Wars releases (TPM most importantly) but I'm expanding to other sci-fi and a few other things.
I'm not fussy about wanting US releases, subs I can put up with if instances of rot are far less.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 12:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Which seems really ironic when here we are flaming this guy (for whom English is a second language) on the assumption that by valuable he only means monetary value....

He's still expecting us to tell him what titles he should want, instead of making that decision himself. He didn't specify what he values.

all wrote:
I like collecting, collecting good things, things those important. I like filling small space in my home with valuable things.

Like this, what is important to you? What is valuable to you?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 13:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

deadlegion wrote:
Yeah I just thought he's looking for ideas on what to collect.
I'm only sorting through this myself at the moment anyway, I started off just wanting various Japanese Star Wars releases (TPM most importantly) but I'm expanding to other sci-fi and a few other things.
I'm not fussy about wanting US releases, subs I can put up with if instances of rot are far less.

You shouldn't worry so much about rot.

Outside of a handful of manufacturers (primarily DADC USA and PDO UK) it really isn't so much of an issue. Those titles that are well known rotters (or just bad speckly pressings) are fairly well documented here so you mostly know what releases to avoid.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 14:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its OK everybody can bash me about the price of the Tetsuwan atom box, but I own it, its complete and none on YJ have ever been complete with display case and paperwork.

all wrote:

I'll take him to get ice cream and wipe his chin but I won't tell him what to collect.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next