It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:48

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for some guidance on getting a Domesday Duplicator
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 17:09 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm trying to get a Domesday Duplicator setup, as I have a ton of rare-ish LDs I'd like to preserve. The DD official website and Github page hasn't been super useful, and has left me with a lot of questions. Does it only work with a Pioneer LD-V4300D, or can I use another player? How do I attach the board(s) to the player? I can probably figure out how the ld-decode software works, but I'm totally lost on the hardware. Once I figure it out, I'd like to make a YouTube video about the process, as well as host the rips I take on my website. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Post subject: Re: Looking for some guidence on getting a Domesday Duplicat
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 17:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Happycube knows all the answers to your questions.

You need a player with a raw EFM output. There are a few, I think they are all earlier decks, pro mostly.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2019, 22:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know someone using an LD-S9 with a DD setup, if I'm not completely mistaken you grab the "RF" signal on the board somewhere.
Usually the point is labeled "RF" so you basically cannot miss it :P

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 04:10 
Third post and above
Third post and above

lons_vex wrote:
I know someone using an LD-S9 with a DD setup, if I'm not completely mistaken you grab the "RF" signal on the board somewhere.
Usually the point is labeled "RF" so you basically cannot miss it :P

I only have 1 player, an LD-W1. I'd rather not use a dual disc system for domesday so I'm expecting to buy a new machine specifically for this project. I wonder what the cheapest player I could get that has an easily accessible RF output...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 04:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rpgwaiter wrote:
I wonder what the cheapest player I could get that has an easily accessible RF output...

Well aren't pro decks usually fairly cheap because they're otherwise lacking in features?

The LD-V4200 has an EFM out port so that's one.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 05:41 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

EFM relates to digital audio. It would go to EFM decoder which would convert it from 14 to 8 bit signal and from there to DAC and then output. Some Pioneer players that didn't had digital audio decoders built in had those ports to hook up to external decoder. This should not matter since you're looking for RF. EFM is derived from RF.
As far as I know basically any player should work, it's just that those industrial Pioneers have RF directed to neatly labeled test pins and they have serial interface for control from PC. And 4300 in particular can read NTSC/PAL. So it's a matter of convenience.
So how I see it, if you don't care about PAL, you can go with other industrial Pioneer, but then serial interface pinout and command set might differ (I think 1k and 6k used different commands and there are 2 or 3 different pinouts). I haven't checked how far is their control program, maybe it addresses this. If not - not a big deal, though. You can find those commands in manuals and just use any terminal pretty much.
And if not industrial Pioneer, then you can use whatever, but it might be difficult to hook to RF and it might not have convenient way to control unit, for example to skip those CAV PSCs.
What you actually do with a player - you just solder 2 wires to board. And that's your input. I think that's pretty much it. And then you sandwich domesday board with 2 other boards like Arduino shields and one of them has USB interface ports and you hook that to PC. None of that is really complicated, if you get pre-assembled domesday, it's price tag that killed it for me. Which with shipping and tax was around 400 at the time.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 15:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

kuncendorfs wrote:
None of that is really complicated, if you get pre-assembled domesday, it's price tag that killed it for me. Which with shipping and tax was around 400 at the time.

Woah, I didn't know they had pre-assembled boards. I'd gladly pay a premium just to make sure I don't fry the board with my awful soldering. Where can I grab one at?

Also thanks for the info, it'll be a big help.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 20:30 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Ah, no I meant it's not difficult if you can get assembled board. In that sense. Since recently somebody was recruiting people in this forum to get preassembled DD boards. That part is most difficult.
So I was calculating 400 as grand total for everything. That would be over 100 for Nano and Cypress FX3 and less for Domesday PCB. And I mailed Domesday layouts and component list to several local workshops that advertise repair of electronics and soldering and 1 got back to me and said they could assemble it. But I decided it was all too expensive.
If you can get one assembled in China it should be cheaper potentially. And maybe those other two boards are cheaper now too.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 16:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It works with pretty much any working LD player, most of them have RF taps somewhere. The 1995 and later CLD's all have it labeled on a 11-pin header, which is nice. The EFM port was only used to see what the players did with the EFM on the disk.

I don't know of any pre-made boards right now alas.

PostPosted: 12 May 2023, 15:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

happycube wrote:
It works with pretty much any working LD player, most of them have RF taps somewhere. The 1995 and later CLD's all have it labeled on a 11-pin header, which is nice. The EFM port was only used to see what the players did with the EFM on the disk.

I don't know of any pre-made boards right now alas.

I'm going to be getting one of these soon, but I have a question about the size of the raw files; about how many GB/TB is it for a single two-sided disc?

Last edited by kt7000 on 23 May 2023, 00:44, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Rare LD Footage That Have Never Been Digitally Released

Post subject: Re: Looking for some guidance on getting a Domesday Duplicat
PostPosted: 19 May 2023, 03:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Uncompressed about 150-200GB/CLV side and about half that when compressed using FLAC.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 13:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A good overview of the DD (Part #1):

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2023, 04:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

After much searching, I finally found a hardware seller of the Domesday Duplicator and he's asking for US$500+ for a complete kit... so yeah... nah.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2023, 09:03 
True fan
True fan

Pointless to do that when you can either watch on laserdisc players or use a cheaper capture device to make a backup. I mean if this is going to cost people thousands of dollars just to get a direct 100 percent copy that's ridiculous. I wonder how much better it really is compared to my Hauppauge PVR captures. Who in their rightful mind wants to have 25 gig or 60 gig laserdisc backups? That is not a small amount of space to have on any external hard-drive. That's going take up a lot of space and I doubt the quality is light years better than 6-9 gig captures Hauppauge can do.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 04:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Pointless to do that when you can either watch on laserdisc players or use a cheaper capture device to make a backup. I mean if this is going to cost people thousands of dollars just to get a direct 100 percent copy that's ridiculous.

This is something you get if you're a dedicated archivist or a company looking to remaster an obscure movie with no better available source than LD (like Discotek did with Project A-ko before they found the negatives), not if you're an enthusiast like most of us here, myself included. All this comes down to, IMO, is that professional and niche equipment aren't priced like mass-consumer equipment, which isn't news.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 09:38 
True fan
True fan

I have the rare Dark Tide laserdisc and thanks to the wonderful environment we all live in I doubt that movie ever gets a bluray release. I'd love a bluray or 4k scan of that movie. That main actress is very pretty. Laserdisc isn't half bad looking but I want to see that amazing body in HD. Other movies I would love to see get bluray or 4k scans is Junior 1985 and possibly that one Australian Vampire movie I have on VHS which I can't think of the name of at the moment. Might be called Wicked something... There's a bunch of movies I have on vhs and laserdisc which still have not gotten bluray or 4k scans. I think some of these movies might never get a release because people are refusing to sell the rights to them or they just don't think there's enough money to be made by releasing better quality versions.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 13:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It was never designed for run of the mill collectards. It was made specifically for serious archiving of specific discs that were super rare and rotting away. When I say rare it mean maybe one copy in existence. It’s not so you can make your own personal backup of something that you’ll never watch anyway because there is a $5 Blu-ray. It’s not for Facebook gamers who dump all their own NES games even though every single NES game has been dumped perfectly years if not decades ago. They didn’t make it so capture-holics could buy a bunch of drives and fill them with files nobody will ever use. This is not the One Weird Trick You Need to Know to watch LD. It’s not required or even recommended for LD users. It’s a preservation tool, and considering what it does the cost is extremely cheap. It’s also cheap compared to the storage it requires if you’re going to back up more than a single movie.

It was made for rescuing super rare stuff that was on the brink of being permanently lost. I don’t have a single LD like that myself and I’m not interested in fooling myself into believing I ever will. If I do I’ll mail it to someone who has a setup and pay him to do it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 19:30 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
It was made for rescuing super rare stuff that was on the brink of being permanently lost. I don’t have a single LD like that myself and I’m not interested in fooling myself into believing I ever will. If I do I’ll mail it to someone who has a setup and pay him to do it.

You don't own any laserdiscs that haven't been released on dvd, bluray, or any other format other than VHS? There's no way that's true unless you avoided a bunch of them. There's a lot of laserdisc movies still that are still stuck on the format. Some of these movies are not hard to get either but some of them are bad. Some of them are rare to find such as Dark Tide. I've only seen that pop up twice or three times in recent History on Ebay. Also, I still think it's crazy because how much visual quality is it over my Hauppauge capture device. Price vs Price I don't know if it's worth it and the massive files are ridiculous. Why would anyone want a 40-70 gig file? I guess they could re-encode it decrease the file size and maintaining most of the quality but wouldn't that also defeat the purpose of a device that supposedly gets 100 percent of the quality?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 20:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The file sizes are only ridiculous if you're thinking about how many movies you can fit on a thumb drive. This is about uncompromised archival, not live playback. Obviously, you would re-encode it and do other applicable processing to get a file for actual viewing. But even so, you can get better results (both in terms of quality and file size) by working from a digitized dump of the raw RF signal than you could encoding live from a composite capture device. "The best possible" always costs a lot more than "good enough." That's normal.

Nobody's trying to convince you to get a Domesday Duplicator. The point is this: just because it doesn't make sense for the vast majority of laserdisc-owners to have one, doesn't mean it isn't the right device for its intended use case.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 22:34 
True fan
True fan

rcarlson wrote:
Nobody's trying to convince you to get a Domesday Duplicator. The point is this: just because it doesn't make sense for the vast majority of laserdisc-owners to have one, doesn't mean it isn't the right device for its intended use case.

I guess if any of you have the doomsday device or Domesday Duplicator device and you leave near me I guess we can make a 100 percent back up of Dark Tide. Are we expecting any blu ray releases of this or 4k scans? We know with the current environment we live in that people view this movie as trashy and some groups out there might try to stop it from getting an hd release. How common is Dark Tide on laserdisc? Do any of you own it or am I the only one?

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next