It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Victor HD-8900 issues
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 03:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi all :)

I recently bought that VHD player. One of the problems with it was a loose belt which caused issues when loading and ejecting the videodisc. I've managed to sort that out.

The other thing is that there is a slight scraping noise when the turntable/platter is spun. Is there a way to adjust/raise its height?

Also, when playing a movie, the player seems to want to track back to an already played segment. It tends to repeat a scene, sometimes over and over. Just to be clear, it doesn't skip forward the way CED's do, the opposite, it sķips backwards and starts repeating already viewed content. It has done this on both movies that I own (they are the only ones I have at present). Stylus issue?

If I could also just ask, this particular model is not advertised as "3D". Can you still connect the 3D glasses to it via some sort of adapter to view 3D content?

Post subject: Re: Victor HD-8900 issues
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 11:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It can be stylus but it might also be the discs.try to rewind and play again at the skipping part to see if it gets better the more stylus play these parts cause it might be dirt on the discs.i have the same model and you can use it to watch 3D vhds with glasses but you need also a converter box sold separately that has 4 inputs for glasses

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 12:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

giannis wrote:
It can be stylus but it might also be the discs.try to rewind and play again at the skipping part to see if it gets better the more stylus play these parts cause it might be dirt on the discs.i have the same model and you can use it to watch 3D vhds with glasses but you need also a converter box sold separately that has 4 inputs for glasses

I have tried to play over (repeatedly) those areas where it's causing it to skip. Didn't seem to make any difference. I have just now bought a couple more VHD movies. This time I bought them still sealed, so I guess that will give me a better indicator if I'm going to have to search for a new stylus. If it does come to that, I believe what I should be looking for is the VDS-1100 version?

Thanks for the 3D info. I'm guessing that converter box will be a tough one to source. I'll see if I can hunt one down, though.
And regarding the glasses; I wonder if the old Sega Master System 3D glasses would also be compatible here? I have a couple of those.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019, 15:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

hello
about the sega glasses i doubt that these would work.what type of connection these have?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019, 15:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

giannis wrote:
hello
about the sega glasses i doubt that these would work.what type of connection these have?

3.5mm connector.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019, 15:52 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've only seen the glasses on YAJ so its probably really rare for the box.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 10:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

hmmm it might work at least i has the same mini jack as the vhd glasses

Attachments:
vhd.jpg
vhd.jpg [ 5.79 KiB | Viewed 2810 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 11:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Ok so I've sorted out the loose belt.

The way this thing is designed, it's almost impossible to replace the belt without having to dismantle a large chunk of the unit itself. You can remove the bottom plate and also try to go from the top by removing the turntable, you'll still wont be able to wrap a new belt in there. Just no space to do so without, as I said, removing a whole bunch of other components.
So what I did was I snipped off a small piece of that belt (just enough to account for it being stretched) and then I applied a tiny drop of Q-bond adhesive to connect the two sides back together. I tested to see if it would come apart. No chance. That adhesive sticks to it like there's no tomorrow.

The other problem I sorted out was the turntable making a scraping noise when it's spinning. I found some pics online and determined that whoever was messing around with this player before, had not put back the turntable in proper alignment. There are distinct black markings where you have to connect it just so, in order for it to spin without any issues. This also solves the problem where the stylus does not want to read the beginning of the disc (or has trouble doing so) and tends to then want to skip to the following chapter.

Still looking for a remote control for my unit. No 'pause' function without one. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it as it is.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 08:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Final pieces added to the puzzle. :P

Not sure of the "official" remote control for this player but a fully compatible one is the one used for the Victor HD-851 player. The RM-D85 remote control.

And I had earlier asked with regard to the Sega Master System 3D glasses, if they could perhaps work with VHD players.
Even if he's not around anymore, disclord (Ty) still has the answers:

"I get so bored with video games so easily - the one I do consistently play is one for the Dreamcast where you build working rollercoasters. Oh, and one for the X-Box where you run an amusement park and design the rides and such - the names escape me. The only 'real' videogame I ever played to completion was Y's I & II on the TurboGrafix CD system. I had a Sega Master System SegaScope 3D system too - that was VERY cool. The 3D glasses came in handy when I got my 3D VHD system from Japan".

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 11:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes, there are many 3D glasses that will work with these- others are the ones that came with those IMAX DVD boxed sets in the early 2000s. Unfortunately the format simply doesn't work on modern HDTVs because of how they de-interlace analog video; you will need a CRT display.

I've had odd skipping on my discs also, some have gotten better with repeated play. Not sure what causes this, as the discs are harder to get to than CEDs were.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]