It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Documenting release contents
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 01:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So front and back cover pictures are possible and there is sometimes information in text form under Additional Information.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a photo gallery to thoroughly document packaging and contents of releases?
This would allow the possibility of pics of open gatefold, any insert sheets, the type of inner disc sleeves, outer sleeves that have stickers, box sets individual sleeves and also packaging variations for the same title ID.

Post subject: Re: Documenting release contents  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 02:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's an easy request because... it already exists :-)

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=80022#p80022

Julien

Post subject: Re: Documenting release contents
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 02:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
That's an easy request because... it already exists :-)

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=80022#p80022

Julien

Oh wow I never noticed that before :lol:
Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 17:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, I was thinking about this same thing a while back and then I saw a photo of the insert in one entry so I guess people just don't photograph that stuff. Hell, there's a couple of discs I own that don't have photos of the back cover either so maybe I should do something about that, too.

Although regarding inserts that have more than one page/side, what amount do you think would be going overboard? :P

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 22:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about this same thing a while back and then I saw a photo of the insert in one entry so I guess people just don't photograph that stuff. Hell, there's a couple of discs I own that don't have photos of the back cover either so maybe I should do something about that, too.

Although regarding inserts that have more than one page/side, what amount do you think would be going overboard? :P

I had sent some cover including insert pictures a while ago but the "files to large" thing came back so will be sending them again.

There is a way to send larger lots of pictures out (& Julien very kindly sent details of how to do it) but I really am pretty computer illiterate so will send them out again 2 or 3 pictures at a time.

Some multi disc sets & boxed sets have so many inserts it takes quite a few pictures to cover everything but if or when sent Julien can then choose whatever is apt though I do find the extra pictures on here very helpful & often cool to see the stuff included in some discs/sets.

If you can send out anything you have that is not already here, I am sure it would be appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 03:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:

Documenting everything isn't going overboard imo. It's a good way to see if anything is missing from a copy you obtain, or if you have an insert that hasn't been included for that title on the database yet. Also, even if all relevant pictures are already there maybe you have a copy with parts that are in better condition (or in the case of cover pics, you have obi but it isn't on the db yet).

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 03:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah this kind of documentation is important. Half the time or more people will claim a video game is complete when it's missing *something*. When I'm buying an LD my only baseline expectation is a working LD and the sleeve in advertised condition but it is nice to know everything that came in a release. Especially for swanky box sets.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 04:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

je280 wrote:
I had sent some cover including insert pictures a while ago but the "files to large" thing came back so will be sending them again.

There is a way to send larger lots of pictures out (& Julien very kindly sent details of how to do it) but I really am pretty computer illiterate so will send them out again 2 or 3 pictures at a time.

Some multi disc sets & boxed sets have so many inserts it takes quite a few pictures to cover everything but if or when sent Julien can then choose whatever is apt though I do find the extra pictures on here very helpful & often cool to see the stuff included in some discs/sets.

If you can send out anything you have that is not already here, I am sure it would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm a little surprised there aren't moderators here (or a least one) to help deal with submissions. I mean to make it easier for members to submit pictures you could have one or more mods to deal with submitted material.
This way members could amass however much stuff they want in an organised fashion (folders with title name and title ID) all inside one archive (rar/7z or whatever) uploaded to a file host they use and then provide a download link via message or a submissions section in the forums (threads/posts).
Staff could then go through and select the best stuff, crop/resize if necessary and then resubmit to admin internally within a forums staff only section. It's more work but if you have staff to do it then Julien wouldn't actually have all that much more work himself besides organising everything initially.

It would encourage more people here to contribute more and the end result would be more thorough documentation.

Another thing is some sites have auto-resizing for submitted pictures. Members would only need to make sure they crop before submitting.

Just some thoughts, I'm not being critical.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 09:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

One of the big problems with buying stuff from the used market is, that previous owners may have removed something that was part of the package before, or added something that was not part of the package originally.
So this could lead to all kinds of confusions and in the end nobody would know for sure what was part of the original package and what was not. Extra workload for Julien.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 12:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lons_vex wrote:
One of the big problems with buying stuff from the used market is, that previous owners may have removed something that was part of the package before, or added something that was not part of the package originally.
So this could lead to all kinds of confusions and in the end nobody would know for sure what was part of the original package and what was not. Extra workload for Julien.

The only way to be sure is buying new and sealed.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 13:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've only recently got into LD stuff, I don't have all that many releases but I've already picked up 4 (or maybe more) sealed titles.
They're all open now though.

When I got Apes box set it wasn't sealed but in excellent condition, I noticed on the db there were only front and back pics which is the main reason I started this thread. It was logical to assume if other pics could exist then whoever submitted the box front/back would've at least submitted pics of every movie cover from inside the box set itself.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 03:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadlegion wrote:
When I got Apes box set it wasn't sealed but in excellent condition, I noticed on the db there were only front and back pics which is the main reason I started this thread. It was logical to assume if other pics could exist then whoever submitted the box front/back would've at least submitted pics of every movie cover from inside the box set itself.

And we will all be eagerly expecting your pictures of the box contents to add them to the website :-)

Thanks!

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 13:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Probably won't happen anytime soon. The best camera I have is a very old Olympus 14mp. My photography and editing skills are very rusty so I usually try to take pics in natural light on a good day, still doesn't look good anyway because of the camera (or maybe just me idk). Cropping I can do but if I try to resize down to what is required it'll look crap.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 22:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Meh... my Olympus is so old, it's 2mp and only has a serial connector.
Send me your 14mp Olympus, I'll gladly take it.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 01:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

deadlegion wrote:
The best camera I have is a very old Olympus 14mp.

ROFLMAO

This is pretty funny. I used to send in pics back in the day with a 4mp
Just take the pictures and send them, Julien can downsize.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 01:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
deadlegion wrote:
The best camera I have is a very old Olympus 14mp.

ROFLMAO

This is pretty funny. I used to send in pics back in the day with a 4mp
Just take the pictures and send them, Julien can downsize.

It is an old camera though. Not much optical zoom either, it's tough series. Trying to get detail at a short distance is rather troublesome with this particular camera.
I'm not sure if he'd like me sending 3MB pics via email, the submission info says maximum 150KB/picture.

Guess I can try anyway :yawn:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 04:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadlegion wrote:
I'm not sure if he'd like me sending 3MB pics via email, the submission info says maximum 150KB/picture.

Please send the bigger version, I'll realign/crop/filter if needed.

For big files, you can drop them in my cloud following the steps here: [GLOBAL] Hardware PDF Manuals

Make sure to zip them with meaningful filenames and/or a little text file for describing which #LDDB you are uploading them for!

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 05:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
Please send the bigger version, I'll realign/crop/filter if needed.

For big files, you can drop them in my cloud following the steps here: [GLOBAL] Hardware PDF Manuals

Make sure to zip them with meaningful filenames and/or a little text file for describing which #LDDB you are uploading them for!

Julien

I uploaded (to your cloud) front, back & insert pics for Alien (1979) [PILF-1237]
File is Alien PILF-1237 - lddb deadlegion.7z
Please let me know if they're too terrible to use, that's about the best I can do at the moment.

I also did an edit for some info about Heroes: Season 1 (2006) [825 244 4] but I won't submit pics for that HD DVD box set right now as I don't have a scanner to do it properly.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 16:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The biggest issue for me is the lighting, my apartment lighting is absolutely awful. I'm thinking about just taking the discs I need pictures of and sticking them into a scanner at work.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 17:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I am aiming to get off my butt and get some pics. Camera batteries are charging now.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next