It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D925] E0 after laser pickup replacement
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 12:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I decided to try and repair my good old 925 by replacing it's laser pickup with one from an s315 (the one I got but had some image problem when clv discs arrived at 25-30 minutes).
So everything went pretty smoothely to replace the laser thanks to this vid:

I reassembled the 925 and turned it on, then I got the E0 error, because a video is worth thousands of explanation, I filmed the problem so you can see it and maybe help me on this.

As you can see the pickup doesn't want to move passed a certain point, i also tried to move it manually to another position but when it got back at that spot, it stoped again.

Post subject: Re: D925 E0 after laser pickup replacement
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 14:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ok so I remembered that there was a topic related to an E0 error ([CLD-D925] E0 error [SOLVED!]) and it was the same problem, the switch position at the back was also wrong, now that I moved it back, it works !
But I declared victory a little too quickly, there are still two issues to solve.
The first one is the weirdest, i've got the same issue that I had on the s315, there are lines appearing when the disc reaches the half of it's playtime (25-30 min, a video here https://youtu.be/k-ieSLcSkp0)
The second problem I have is that the laser can't reach it's b side position, it gets stuck somehow (video here : https://youtu.be/JIOyoeJ7-qc)
And for those two I have no idea what to do.

Last edited by saeba on 16 Sep 2019, 08:06, edited 3 times in total. _________________
Loyalty above else, except Honor.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 19:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

When replacing the pickup all the calibrations will be off, so you will need to go through the service manual and follow the steps set out for when you replace the pickup.

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... l_Scan.pdf covers the NTSC version of the 515/915.

And simoni just updated this alignment guide for the LD-4300D/4400 - it's for a more complex player but a really good description: edit after cplusplus's comment below: https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2896

edit: The above's for more general issues. Make sure the motor holder is in good shape on the new pickup - the 315 has the dreaded VNL16xx version - and maybe remount the pickup and make sure there isn't anything blocking it? krbahr or a more experienced tech will be more helpful than I :)

Last edited by happycube on 15 Sep 2019, 05:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 04:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As happycube said, when you swap a laser pickup, a full alignment procedure must be performed on the player. The pickup you placed in the 925 was aligned for that specific S315 when it left the factory. Even if you had a a pickup from another 925, you would still need to perform an alignment. If you are not experienced with using an oscilliscope, etc, I would strongly recommend finding someone who is very experienced in electronics repair and give them GGV1069 and the service manual.

Also I believe happycube meant to link https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2896 (Thanks for pointing this out! Simon's guide was the only one I knew of for alignment and now it is even better!)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 09:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Okay thanks for the answer, unfortunately I'm not equipped at all to perform a proper alignment, I don't have any of the test discs nor the test remote nor any oscilloscope or other meters needed for the measurements.
So for now I'll leave it be, and maybe return to it to make the laser able to go properly to side B.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 16:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I reopened my player today to try and and "eye" calibrate the thing using the "video level" screw and I think I sort of succeeded, the video is brighter (it was way too dark before), and a little less noisy but still not as clear as I think it should be, though the picture is pretty correct so i'm not gonna touch that again.
As I opened it I also looked for anything that might be blocking the laser's path to side B, the only thing note worthy I found was that the rail doesn't seem aligned correctly (picture here https://www.noelshack.com/2019-37-7-156 ... 154417.jpg), I tried to move it but it won't budge, I don't want to force anything so I wondered if maybe it was the correct way, if someone could check on his 925, I would really apreciate it.
Anyway I think I'm on the right path to succeed in making my player fully operational, It'll be so awesome when I'm done.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 16:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unfortunately you can't really adjust these by eye, or that's what I've been told.

You may have it brighter but do you have it too much so that the laser will burn out fast now???

Might be best to find someone with a test disc and rent it?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 04:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The video level just adjusts the signal level being sent out the output, has nothing to do with powering the laser.

If there is nothing in the track preventing the laser pickup movement then I'd suggest checking the laser movement holder MHolder as this unit and the S315 have the gray colored Mholder that the pins to hold the gears break and the two gears between the motor worm gear and the track float free and cause various issues. Before proceeding verify these are ok. Gently push the laser pickup forward and back and see if there is any up/down movement in these two gears, they should only start to turn slightly as you apply forward and back pressure with your finger.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So Kurtis, does that mean a laser pick-up doesn't necessarily require a complete mechanical re-alignment but just some electrical adjustment?

I always thought that swapping a laser pick (as well as head drum on a VCR) only require a minor tweek of some electrical adjustment but mechanically speaking nothing should need tweaking.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 09:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I know the m holder is in good condition as it is the first thing I checked when I removed the pickup from the s315 before putting it in my d925. But anyway I checked as you asked krbahr, I "moved" it back and forth a little and there is no up/down movement on the gears, when I use the worm gear to manually move the pickup, I have no problem at all and it moves on it's rails the way I think it should.
Also I'd like to thank you for telling that there is no consequences on the laser when fiddling with the video level because I got a little worried when rein-o said it could mess the laser.
So i'd like to know if i'm right on this, the different screws for calibration doesn't actually "change" the way the laser operates but the way the player interpretes what the laser is reading ?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
So Kurtis, does that mean a laser pick-up doesn't necessarily require a complete mechanical re-alignment but just some electrical adjustment?

I always thought that swapping a laser pick (as well as head drum on a VCR) only require a minor tweek of some electrical adjustment but mechanically speaking nothing should need tweaking.

Still need to do all the adjustments. I was just focusing on the laser not flipping and seeming to get stuck from going back at a certain point. If you press side B to close and start the player if should flip over to side B and then the adjustments come into play after it starts to spin and read the disc.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The alignment in the tracks as shown is normal for this mechanical assembly. Seems more like a good cleaning of the track or something else is hitting the laser and holding it. Could always be a lubrication issue if the rails were wiped dry.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]