It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:50

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Elite CLD99- how to get rid of cigarette smell?
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 01:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sixersfan1 wrote:
Thanks guys. I decided to put it back together and hook it up. When I was opening the tray, I noticed that a lot of the smell seems to be coming from the tray itself. So I tried to clean it with some simply green then isopropyl alcohol. Not a good idea. It made it kind of sticky and now the tray is all streaked up. It smells better but it looks like this. I tried wiping in down with just a damp rag. What’s the best way to clean this up?

Hi sixersfan1,

isopropyl can affect plastics in different ways dependant on the type of plastic.

Unfortunately it can "attack" some plastics & the tray could be the type that may discolour, it may not appear as bad looking over time though.

The sticky feeling may also recede over time but given the thickness of the tray it should not do any further damage - hopefully.

If the outer case/buttons etcetera are as clean as they can be & I am sure that will be the case now then the smell issue should dissipate over time though the stale smoke smell can be particularly unpleasant for a while.

Great that the player works so hopefully the smell leaves the unit soon & the discolouration on the tray - just try to ignore it when you are changing LDs!

Hope the smell gets sweeter soon :thumbup: .

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 02:01 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

je280 wrote:
sixersfan1 wrote:
Thanks guys. I decided to put it back together and hook it up. When I was opening the tray, I noticed that a lot of the smell seems to be coming from the tray itself. So I tried to clean it with some simply green then isopropyl alcohol. Not a good idea. It made it kind of sticky and now the tray is all streaked up. It smells better but it looks like this. I tried wiping in down with just a damp rag. What’s the best way to clean this up?

Hi sixersfan1,

isopropyl can affect plastics in different ways dependant on the type of plastic.

Unfortunately it can "attack" some plastics & the tray could be the type that may discolour, it may not appear as bad looking over time though.

The sticky feeling may also recede over time but given the thickness of the tray it should not do any further damage - hopefully.

If the outer case/buttons etcetera are as clean as they can be & I am sure that will be the case now then the smell issue should dissipate over time though the stale smoke smell can be particularly unpleasant for a while.

Great that the player works so hopefully the smell leaves the unit soon & the discolouration on the tray - just try to ignore it when you are changing LDs!

Cheers

Thanks. I’m really annoyed that I messed up the tray with the isopropyl alcohol. I should have known better but it doesn’t seem to be hurting anything. Machine is playing great. Is replacing the tray easy? If it is I’ll keep an eye on eBay for a replacement. There’s a few on there now but not for this model.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 03:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would've tried using eucalyptus oil on the tray. It cleans sticky stuff very well and does leave a smell, but if you leave the tray open inside the house (assuming your house isn't dusty) the smell dissipates fairly quickly.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

deadlegion wrote:
I would've tried using eucalyptus oil on the tray.

I would not use anything on a CLD-99 loading tray (as well CLD-97 or equivalent Elite model). These models have a coating on them that I think was meant to be some vibration insulator and putting any chemicals on them will damage it.

If the tray is like other mid to lower end models, the trays are just exposed plastic and would probably be more forgiving to chemicals but I'd still just use a water from a slightly damped cloth.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ldfan wrote:
I would not use anything on a CLD-99 loading tray (as well CLD-97 or equivalent Elite model). These models have a coating on them that I think was meant to be some vibration insulator and putting any chemicals on them will damage it.

If the tray is like other mid to lower end models, the trays are just exposed plastic and would probably be more forgiving to chemicals but I'd still just use a water from a slightly damped cloth.

Just water won't remove the sticky stuff you get from smoke. Warm water and a little soap will work on pure plastic, but if there's something else there besides plastic soap probably isn't a good idea.
So do those trays have like a 90's pseudo rubber type coating, or is it like felt or sponge?

Pure eucalyptus oil isn't a chemical. I use it on all sorts of things to clean sticky gunk all the time, it doesn't dissolve it dislodges the sticky so you can remove it more easily. It has a strong smell when used but goes away fairly quickly and isn't unpleasant anyway.

I am a smoker btw, but not through the whole house only the bathroom which has an extraction fan.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I mean it isn't a chemical just like olive oil isn't a chemical.
If you regard it as a chemical then water is too...tap water in particular as it has chemicals added to it usually.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 09:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

deadlegion wrote:
ldfan wrote:

Just water won't remove the sticky stuff you get from smoke. Warm water and a little soap will work on pure plastic, but if there's something else there besides plastic soap probably isn't a good idea.
So do those trays have like a 90's pseudo rubber type coating, or is it like felt or sponge?

Pure eucalyptus oil isn't a chemical. I use it on all sorts of things to clean sticky gunk all the time, it doesn't dissolve it dislodges the sticky so you can remove it more easily. It has a strong smell when used but goes away fairly quickly and isn't unpleasant anyway.

I am a smoker btw, but not through the whole house only the bathroom which has an extraction fan.

There’s definitely some kind of coating on it. Sort of a pseudo rubber like you said. If anyone has a spare tray lying around I’d be more than happy to buy it from you.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 10:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that image makes me happy. Nothin like laserdisc in action. My gears been packed up for a week and I miss it already.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 14:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

sixersfan1 wrote:
je280 wrote:
sixersfan1 wrote:

Hi sixersfan1,

Cheers

Thanks. I’m really annoyed that I messed up the tray with the isopropyl alcohol. I should have known better but it doesn’t seem to be hurting anything. Machine is playing great. Is replacing the tray easy? If it is I’ll keep an eye on eBay for a replacement. There’s a few on there now but not for this model.

No. It’s not easy to find a good CLD-99 tray. I’d avoid spraying any chemicals on anything unless you already know what they are going to do.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 14:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

trying to find a tray is going to be hard and not worth it.

You screwed the pooch, just live with it or get rid of it before you destroy it more.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 15:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

deadlegion wrote:
I mean it isn't a chemical just like olive oil isn't a chemical.
If you regard it as a chemical then water is too...tap water in particular as it has chemicals added to it usually.

Ok. I admit I need to clarify something I did say.

I meant to say that water would be fine on the tray with no coating on it (bare plastic) but definitely nothing at all should be used (including water) on tray that has the coating on it.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 15:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ldfan wrote:
Ok. I admit I need to clarify something I did say.

I meant to say that water would be fine on the tray with no coating on it (bare plastic) but definitely nothing at all should be used (including water) on tray that has the coating on it.

If it's bare plastic then eucalyptus oil is fine. It doesn't attack plastic, you can use it when you wash 100% man made clothes.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 16:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Elite decks have a matt coating on the flat part that helps eliminate some resonance and this one has lacquer on the front as well. It’s probably smeared all over now.

It should have just run.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 17:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

At least we know how players are going to die, in the hands of people who have cigarette allergies and can smell and
start sneezing from 10 feet away.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 18:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

It’s not dead yet! :D

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 21:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sixersfan1 wrote:
It’s not dead yet! :D

Good :clap: Lets keep it that way :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 22:01 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Rare one here and one of my favorite discs. Far better than the crummy Korean import DVD. Still playing with settings. Picture is a little grainy.

Attachments:
IMG_2226-compressed.JPG
IMG_2226-compressed.JPG [ 29.09 KiB | Viewed 2528 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 23:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
definitely nothing at all should be used (including water) on tray that has the coating on it.

This ^. I purchased my CLD-99 from Duncan a very long time ago. I guess it became hot in transit and some grease dripped down onto the back of the tray and it was soaked up like a sponge.

Don't use anything to clean this tray.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 13:43 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

And they said I wouldn't find a replacement tray. Thank you Kurtis Bahr for the brand new tray. No more isopropyl alcohol or anything else near this machine!

Attachments:
IMG_2255-compressed.JPG
IMG_2255-compressed.JPG [ 81.23 KiB | Viewed 2489 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 18:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Kurtis is great!!! 8-)

He helped me procure some CLD-97 cosmetic parts awhile back to complete the look of my player. Very thankful for that.

Enjoy your player and hope you’ll notice the smell begin to wain soon. :thumbup:

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next