It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [PR-7820] Spindle Won't lock
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 02:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I bought a 12" videodisc of a movie I want to see (only format available), so I lugged the DiscoVision player out of storage, where it's been for some 20 years. After placing the disc on the spindle, the LOCK mechanism is supposed to click in place when squeezed, but it doesn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what might cause this?
Also, I downloaded a Service Manual PDF, but it's all about tweaking circuits. Does anyone know where I might find a hardware manual which might address the spindle lock failure?

Post subject: Re: Spindle Won't lock
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 02:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Would be nice if you said which player.
If its the player I think it is you may need to replace the rubber on the lock mech.
I would do a search, Blam has figured out how to fix this IF its the same player you have.
Please post which player you have and then even a picture.
Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Spindle Won't lock
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 06:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Sorry, it's a PR-7820 player, pictured before I re-attached the cover. I tried playing without clicking the lock thing, and the disc speeds up and immediately the motor drive stops and it glides to a halt. I found the carriage lock screw loose as well, which means it was moved/stored without having it locked into place. I wonder if that's a factor.
Attachment:
PR-7820.jpg
PR-7820.jpg [ 42.81 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

Post subject: Re: [PR-7820] Spindle Won't lock
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 18:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh man.
Those are not easy to work on.
If it wasn't shipped without the transit screw is should be OK but you never know.
Get the top back on, do the lock and try again, without the top it won't play as the top has that pin when it locks.
Also how does the rubber around the lock look??

If its gone or gummy you will need to replace it and Blam has posted here how to do so.
Loved my 7820 when I had one for a very short time but couldn't justify keeping it along with all the other players I had at the time.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 06:06 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Ah, the rubber around the lock, eh? I had re-attached the cover before trying to play. (I'd removed the rear hinges to get it off, forced it up front. Then after testing, it refused to open again, and I realized it probably was inoperative unless the carriage was fully retracted from the housing. So I lifted the device up on its side, and when the carriage slid into place the cover worked.)

But I went to remove my disc today, and it was surprisingly difficult. When I finally got it out, I realized that the rubber you mentioned had apparently transformed into a ring of semi-adhesive black goop, possibly abetted by having been sotred in a backyard shed under the summer sun. I cleaned it off the disc with alcohol, but I can see it'll be messy work cleaning that spindle. Thanks for the tip on the rubber ring, that's a first step anyway.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 17:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You've got a couple of issues. The rubber clamp has turned to goo, as you have found out. You'll have to get a new one. However, the bigger issue is your carriage wire. If you tilt the player side to side and the carriage moves freely, the carriage wire has either broken or come off the carriage motor. If it's broken, it will have to be replaced. If it's simply come off the pulley, re-threading it is a bit tricky. It's two wraps on the motor if memory serves. But you must be careful, because if you wrap the wire on the motor incorrectly, the spindle will move backward of the intended direction. (I learned that the hard way). You can't get the carriage wire new any more, so you'll have to find a broken player somewhere that has a wire intact.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 03:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lundo wrote:
I bought a 12" videodisc of a movie I want to see (only format available), so I lugged the DiscoVision player out of storage, where it's been for some 20 years. After placing the disc on the spindle, the LOCK mechanism is supposed to click in place when squeezed, but it doesn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what might cause this?
Also, I downloaded a Service Manual PDF, but it's all about tweaking circuits. Does anyone know where I might find a hardware manual which might address the spindle lock failure?

BTW, what was the movie?
I just had the goo replaced on mine. I know it's been a while, but if you still need it's $10 shipping included. if you need a contact I'll dig it up.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 23:34 
Third post and above
Third post and above

remav wrote:
lundo wrote:

Quote:
BTW, what was the movie?
I just had the goo replaced on mine. I know it's been a while, but if you still need it's $10 shipping included. if you need a contact I'll dig it up.

The videodisc was the only copy I could find of a 1987 film "Exquisite Corpses" starring my deceased then-wife. If you know where I can obtain a rubber ring to replace the one turned to goo, I'd appreciate the info.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 21:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you send me the clamp plate, I can rebuild the assembly for you. Contact me by PM.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]