It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-99] Spindle shaft turning inside clamp
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019, 20:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi, I just replaced the spindle motor on my CLD-99.

Is there a specific glue that is used to hold the shaft to the clamp? ...or did I do it wrong?

Originally, there is a plastic washer piece at the bottom of the clamp that is cemented to the shaft.
Pulling the clamp off so that the motor can be removed was possibly the wrong thing to do??? or is this how it's usually done?
the result is that the clamp is no longer held to the shaft by anything other than the snug fit when pressed on. This works until the shaft warms up which allows it to spin inside the clamp. I was going to look into using a permatex product to make this semi-permanent in case I need to repeat the repair in the future, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if this is a known situation.

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: CLD-99 Spindle shaft turning inside clamp
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019, 23:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It was probably put on with pressure and heat? Or another way.

You would need glue now and I would use the longest setting time epoxy possible.
1hr is best but you may be able to get away with a 30 minute type.
See what others say but that will be the strongest for repairs to hold.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 01:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks...

Rats. It didn't look to me like there was room to get the lower clamp down through the bottom hole.
(Well, not without taking a lot more things off perhaps?)
If not that, where did I go wrong?
How does one normally remove the motor without pulling the lower clamp off of the shaft?
(I know... There's a service manual for that posted here isn't there. It just looked like an obvious thing to try.)

Well, I think I'm going to try something less permanent first like the permatex idea.
If using absolutely no adhesive lasted for almost 2 movies I'm rather hopeful that something less than epoxy will do much better & I can still remove it "next time" if necessary.

Anyway, thanks again Rein-o.

Last edited by remav on 20 Oct 2019, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 04:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry I really don't know how to repair but I do know that the epoxy will fix it for sure :lol:
If you do need to remove it you are SOL so yes make sure you have it at the right height etc.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 19:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well, rein-o, after reading about all of the permatex product options. I decided to go with your epoxy suggestion. Just too many warnings about types of plastics or the need to heat to 500 degrees to remove.

Still it's a scary fix to perform.
I'm actually playing a CD as I let the epoxy to set a bit to make sure the height is correct and negate any inappropriate placement or running epoxy.
This should work out well. The total fix looks like this:
Plastic washer at the bottom will be epoxied to two washers I'm using for correct spacing.
Those washers are being epoxied directly to the RPM wheel. That should be much stronger than new. The most likely failure would still be the shaft turning inside as I purposely didn't concentrate on putting epoxy there. Enough got there on its own to really stiffen the pressure i had to apply when pushing the clamp onto the shaft so I'm thinking it will hold. I'd still be able to pull it off, rough up the shaft & go for another epoxy fix with better hold.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 22:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Fits & Starts

After the epoxy set overnight, it successfully started one disc, only to throw an H0 (overcurrent detected) after a few minutes of play.
That was the only error to occur during playback. (so far)

I then had good starts mixed with a few H1 errors. (Not able to get up to speed in 12 sec.)
Then startup became stable, but the error would reappear on side changes.
Then after a few success & fails the failures became less and less.

I'm now on my 4th disc of full successful play sessions! (Tempted to claim victory, but I know better)
I'm left wondering if all the kinks are worked out, or if I might encounter this each time it cools down?

(...to be continued.)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 01:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know I can search up the errors and all but just too lazy now.

Is it possible that the washer may add too much weight and missfire? Just a guess at that, but if its working all should be fine.
These are the types of repairs I had to do with a CED player when I had one, the bracket broke and I had to rebuild with metal, wood and epoxy.

Post subject: Re: CLD-99 Spindle shaft turning inside clamp  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 06:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Nope, no more errors after my post :clap: and the extra added weight is so small as to be totally inconsequential. There's only about a 1mm layer of glue or epoxy around the shaft from the factory that holds the clamp to the shaft. This fix adds several more mm (width of the washers) greatly reinforcing the weakest link of the structure, but the two tiny washers are probably less than 2mm tall total. With the epoxy I think we're talking only a couple grams.

My best guess is that the alignment on the motor is going to be slightly different when moved to a new machine especially since there's a pretty wide tolerance on "correct" height. My epoxy/washer spacers are certainly not going to put the clamp at the exact height it was. I just chose a spacing that put the RPM wheel 1/2 way between the top & bottom of the sensor gap. I wish I knew what the bottom gap spec for a new machine is, but one possible cause listed on the error chart is "bearing too tight". I probably moved the placement up just a hair thus putting slightly more down force when it clamps. Playing discs probably allowed the bearing to re-seat; a much preferred situation than if it had been loosened & left with more play than before.
(I think, ...leveraging my quite possibly useless knowledge on "pre-load" effects on wheel bearings :lol: )
Whether this shortened or extended this motor's life may eventually be revealed, right? Well, at least I have a spare motor for that day and for most of today it performed flawlessly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]