It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:49

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance XE in 2019?
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 04:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, and seller don't accept message (asking for sending it outside of GB).
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 09:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mimylovesjapan wrote:
Yes, and seller don't accept message (asking for sending it outside of GB).

Indeed, I tried messaging him as well, does not work.
Maybe he only accepts messages from UK residents.
This will be a bargain for someone located in the UK.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 11:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Its sitting at 330 now for a few days, wonder how hot it will get closer to the end of the auction.

Ships to: United Kingdom

Maybe that's why?

Julien

It got 11 bids & ended at £1,030.00

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 15:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, pretty impressive that it went that high.
Hope whoever has it enjoys it as I know its a good unit, just not for my pockets :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 23:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Mine costed me more than twice this price last year ! This month, I finally could refund all the money I asked my wife to lend me^^
Now it's time to the machine to work hard ! I expect to use it at least 20 years without issue to compensate this price !
It does a really good job on my projector in 4K. But, for a TV with good processor inside, I can't recommand anyone to buy such a pricey machine...
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 04:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mimylovesjapan wrote:
Mine costed me more than twice this price last year !

I think rein-o was referring to the fact that it was UK only and that the seller was not being very helpful.

It would have gone possibly higher with worldwide shipping and a seller you can contact.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 05:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes and also that its now a few years old and still retaining a value with limited UK only market.

For some reason it was on my ebay page and I could have bid at the last second and they would have either had to ship
to me or cancel the sale and relist which would have been a pain for them.

If I had the extra money I would have just tried and placed a bid to see if I could make them ship.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 20:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
Fli works for film mode 3:2 pull down but fails all other content. Vxp chip has a bug which it won’t stay in forced film mode. Pms solved this issue with including fli 2310.

Right, so it sounds like you're suggesting the Fli in the C2 for film based LD content. That's currently what I'm doing. I'm also hearing that VXP in the C2 may only be useful for animation content and not ideal for film.

substance wrote:
For strictly ld and strictly films, fli2310 will do well in film mode. But a newish flat panel will do at least just as good, that’s why I don’t see a point.

I guess it comes down to the content you watch really. The majority of what I watch is film based or simple NTSC video. I don't watch a lot of animation and zero anime. I also don't have a ton of aspect ratio or masking needs since I don't have Japanese content I can't read.

So for me, having something that can lock onto 3:2 or MADI/DCDi for video, can switch aspect ratios, and has HDMI output is sufficient. The Faroudja units have provided a noticeable difference in PQ over composite input on a modern 4k but its hard to describe what it is. I prefer it but only because I can A/B it. The C2 is yet again a step up from that but based on a similar processor/algorithm (Faroudja).

I just want it to be "right". Ideally 24p output from the results of the 3:2 inverse telecine is what I'm chasing down the rabbit hole.

Thanks for your insights

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 20:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

sonicboom wrote:
substance wrote:
Fli works for film mode 3:2 pull down but fails all other content. Vxp chip has a bug which it won’t stay in forced film mode. Pms solved this issue with including fli 2310.

Right, so it sounds like you're suggesting the Fli in the C2 for film based LD content. That's currently what I'm doing. I'm also hearing that VXP in the C2 may only be useful for animation content and not ideal for film.

substance wrote:
For strictly ld and strictly films, fli2310 will do well in film mode. But a newish flat panel will do at least just as good, that’s why I don’t see a point.

I guess it comes down to the content you watch really. The majority of what I watch is film based or simple NTSC video. I don't watch a lot of animation and zero anime. I also don't have a ton of aspect ratio or masking needs since I don't have Japanese content I can't read.

So for me, having something that can lock onto 3:2 or MADI/DCDi for video, can switch aspect ratios, and has HDMI output is sufficient. The Faroudja units have provided a noticeable difference in PQ over composite input on a modern 4k but its hard to describe what it is. I prefer it but only because I can A/B it. The C2 is yet again a step up from that but based on a similar processor/algorithm (Faroudja).

I just want it to be "right". Ideally 24p output from the results of the 3:2 inverse telecine is what I'm chasing down the rabbit hole.

Thanks for your insights

If you want 1080p24 output from LD then you need a DVDO VP50/VP50PRO/Edge/duo or Lumagen Radiance. CII loses sync in 24p output. It is a bug that PMS never fixed.

I tested these video processors extensively in the past. I don’t think anyone has more posts than mine on the subject of video processors and most people make their choices today still on the basis of my comments from 5-10 years ago. VXP passed more torture tests than DCDi but the few ones VXP failed DCDi passed. Also synthetic tests do not translate to better real film content processing. HQV and VXP do really well in real content and results very fluid film like picture where as abt2015 in DVDO and marvel qdeo excels in synthetic tests but very digital picture in real content. I liked certain things on the fli2320 chip in CII but it was way to buggy for me to use it over VXP. First of DCDi has a major color shift which can be somewhat fixed in CMS. It did really well when worked in film mode but it did much more miserably when it failed to lock on to cadence and do interpolation. VXP does a lot better in jaggies. There is no perfect chip but i would put VXP, HQV, ABT closer to perfection and FLi a notch below.

If you already own a CII I would use it in VXP. If you don’t want to spend CII money, Faroudja units from the later generation are better value. They all have 2D comb filters so their true potential is never realized except in CII which unfortunately has bugs.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2019, 17:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
If you want 1080p24 output from LD then you need a DVDO VP50/VP50PRO/Edge/duo or Lumagen Radiance. CII loses sync in 24p output. It is a bug that PMS never fixed.

I noticed that...its nice when it is locked on though. Same happens with 72hz unfortunately.

substance wrote:
I tested these video processors extensively in the past. I don’t think anyone has more posts than mine on the subject of video processors and most people make their choices today still on the basis of my comments from 5-10 years ago.

Understatement of the decade. Updates to the mythology and best practices for 2020 might be in order.

substance wrote:
I liked certain things on the FLI2300 chip in CII but it was way to buggy for me to use it over VXP. First of DCDi has a major color shift which can be somewhat fixed in CMS. It did really well when worked in film mode but it did much more miserably when it failed to lock on to cadence and do interpolation. VXP does a lot better in jaggies. There is no perfect chip but i would put VXP, HQV, ABT closer to perfection and FLi a notch below.

I'll play with VXP then and try it out. As I mentioned I'm quite happy with the FLI2300 on the C2 for now. If it gets better, that would be even more fun!

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2