It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sanity Check (just need a second pair of eyes)
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 00:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This seller on ebay has 4 LD players for sale, in really good shape (it looks like) that he claims all play PAL discs. Looking at the pictures, i only see that the SONY mentions playing PAL video cds, and no mention of PAL LD compatibility (and no SCART). Playing PAL VCDs does not ensure that it plays PAL laserdiscs. I even messaged him and he "swears" they will play PAL laserdiscs, the price is high and the shipping is from Israel to US, so also high.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=l ... r&_sacat=0

Can anyone input on this?

Post subject: Re: Sanity Check (just need a second pair of eyes)
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 01:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I wonder if that double box image means anything.
Very interesting Kenwood Elbit player but for that price you would be better off buying a top end NTSC and PAL player separately and then have some
money left over.

622 for the Sony player with 145 shipping to the USA.......................

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 01:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

From laserdiscarchive on the LDV-290

Kenwood introduced this player in the 1997 European catalogue to provide a source for their new AC-3 Receivers. Though intended for Europe, it didn't play PAL software. Also, there were no digital or S-Video outputs.
It typically retailed for approx £400.

The SONY MDP-V10
NTSC laserdisc playback
NTSC/PAL VCD playback

I am in the UK but I have not come across the KENWOOD players though the laserdisc archive site is quite reliable.

The one he is calling a KENWOOD ELBIT (?) unit only shows NTSC on the rear. ELBIT... is that the Israel based defence electronics company?

Perhaps not worth the risk as looking at the rear photos NTSC is mentioned but no sign of PAL anywhere on the units & he "swears" they all play PAL discs?

I am pretty sure others here may be able to advise in a bit more detail.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 01:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

According to the Laserdisc Archive, the Sony MDP-V10 can play PAL and NTSC VCDs but only NTSC LDs. It's a very nice looking machine though, I'll give him that honor.
The Elbit is unknown to the Archive, and a search for Kenwood ELD-610 also came up blank. Looks like it has a TBC and presumably a good comb filter built in.
The Pioneer CLD-S270 also doesn't look to be capable of playing PAL.
The Kenwood LVD-290 is, and I quote, "Though intended for Europe, it didn't play PAL software. Also, there were no digital or S-Video outputs."

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 05:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks, that was what i was suspecting. I would have tried to see if he would come down some on pice.

I made this mistake once before on a DVL-909 that even said PAL / NTSC on the front. However, it would only play NTSC laserdiscs, and PAL/NTSC VCD (and maybe PAL/NTSC DVD).

@reno, is there another place to look to buy PAL laserdisc players? On ebay, i see none in the USA for sale even, a broken 2850 from Russia for $530 (price + ship), a 2850 from germany for $1000 (price + ship), and "oh my oh my" 2x 4300d for $3500 (yes $3,500 that is not a typo).

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 12:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

9954tony wrote:
Thanks, that was what i was suspecting. I would have tried to see if he would come down some on pice.

I made this mistake once before on a DVL-909 that even said PAL / NTSC on the front. However, it would only play NTSC laserdiscs, and PAL/NTSC VCD (and maybe PAL/NTSC DVD).

@reno, is there another place to look to buy PAL laserdisc players? On ebay, i see none in the USA for sale even, a broken 2850 from Russia for $530 (price + ship), a 2850 from germany for $1000 (price + ship), and "oh my oh my" 2x 4300d for $3500 (yes $3,500 that is not a typo).

There's a Philips CDV400 in France. Doesn't appear to have a remote.
It's an ebay auction but there's a make offer option (I'm not looking on US ebay).
Price including shipping would be like $309aud (probably around $210usd but maybe shipping to the US is more idk) if the auction doesn't move.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 16:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Ebay has cut out a lot of international options.
You need to on a computer roll down where it says location and click worldwide on the left side.
Near where it says completed etc.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 17:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

9954tony wrote:

Well here’s the deal. PAL is useless in the United States. That’s why virtually nobody ever imported a PAL player until...probably this forum existed. Why do you want one?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 18:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
9954tony wrote:

Well here’s the deal. PAL is useless in the United States. That’s why virtually nobody ever imported a PAL player until...probably this forum existed. Why do you want one?

I did :) I have a DVL-919E which I imported from France a few years ago. I have about a dozen PAL discs, nothing overly interesting. There is the French Star Wars releases in English with French subs. A bunch of music discs, some are from PAL masters and the others are PAL exclusives. If I dig in , I can probably find another dozen or two somewhat interesting titles.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2019, 23:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Any modern TV or projector accepts all the standards now, so while it may have been hard to play in the past, i have no problem playing them now. Same as Substance, I also have the French THX original trilogy. I also have the French version of "The Big Blue", (which is quite a bit different than the US version, different cut and soundtrack but still english dialog) and the french version of "The Abyes: version long". I have probably a dozen others too.

For the record, i already have 2 PAL capable players: I have a cld-1050 and a ld-4300d, the cld-1050 is "long in the tooth" though, and doesn't function 100%, the 4300d works well, but seems to diminish the horizontal resolution (the same disc played on the 1050 has more detail than the 4300d).

So i have been "casually" looking for 3rd alternative, ideally i was looking for a "low mileage" sony mdp-640d just to add to my collection and use for comparison.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 20:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just a quick heads up. There is currently a Pioneer CLD-S310 PAL Laserdisc player on eBay up for grabs in Germany, the seller states it is brand new in its open box. They also state that its high end which of course it isn't and although a half reasonable machine was actually Pioneers last European entry level model from the mid 1990s. Asking price is around $880 before shipping which they offer internationally, its listed on eBay UK, Germany, France etc. but perhaps not showing on US site. Sounds a lot, but then again if someone was asking $1000 for an old 2850 which is somewhat inferior to the later 2950 it could be a bit of a bargain if it genuinely is an unused player?....

To add....just noticed the same seller also has a Euro DVL-909 Pal/ntsc player for around $560.00
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 23:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The S310 is not a very good player at all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 23:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks. @laserfanhld-gb, that DVL-909 looks like it isn't the "E" model, so it only plays PAL DVD/Video CDs, i think that is the exact model i bought a few years ago. With some tips from everyone and a few realizations, i am now getting better search results. One thing is that a lot of people selling in PAL countries may not include "PAL" in the description, because it is just "assumed". That is my fault/oversight (i was searching for "PAL laserdisc player). I found some good units in Germany, but the seller doesn't currently ship to USA. I have messaged him asking for an exception. If that doesn't work, i think i have a coworker that has family in Germany and will ask if he'd be willing to intermediate.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 10:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
The S310 is not a very good player at all.

Yes....definitely agree on that; and performance aside I don't think there's analog playback or a digital out either, it was just the fact it was described as brand new so fitted the criteria in that respect. Big bucks to pay for what is a budget player at the end of the day!

9954tony wrote:
Thanks. @laserfanhld-gb, that DVL-909 looks like it isn't the "E" model, so it only plays PAL DVD/Video CDs, i think that is the exact model i bought a few years ago. With some tips from everyone and a few realizations, i am now getting better search results. One thing is that a lot of people selling in PAL countries may not include "PAL" in the description, because it is just "assumed". That is my fault/oversight (i was searching for "PAL laserdisc player). I found some good units in Germany, but the seller doesn't currently ship to USA. I have messaged him asking for an exception. If that doesn't work, i think i have a coworker that has family in Germany and will ask if he'd be willing to intermediate.

Agreed on that DVL-909 Tony....my apologies for not noticing, just seen there's no scart or CE Logo on the back. Trouble was they didn't add the E to the model number on that earlier DVL it only appeared on the later 919 versions. I sold a really nice spare CLD-925 18 months back so a case of bad timing here, good luck with your search! :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 17:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I connected with a seller in Germany and have a player on the way. Thanks all!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]