It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:34

Page 29 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 05:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yeah, they cut quite a bit. But as I'd already stated, there's some unknown circumstance that transpired with the rights holders in Japan that has prevented the OVA series from being licensed out to anyone else since the previous, and only modern license, with Bandai Entertainment's "Honneamise" label division had it back in 2007. And something went wrong with the licensing of it not long after that because Honneamise was able to continue producing copies of the movie version and the sequel all the way until Bandai Entertainment ended North American operations in 2010.

But yeah, something is really screwy with whatever has transpired in Japan with the ownership and licensing, as Honneamise was able to license and release all of the Gunbuster franchise; Gunbuster (OVA series), The Movie (theatrical version of the OVA series), Gunbuster 2 (OVA series), and Gunbuster 2 The Movie (theatrical version of the OVA series). And in the case of the two movie versions, those they released on both DVDs and Blu-Rays. And the movie versions from Honneamise, and Gunbuster 2 (OVA series), were all so mass produced that they are still readily available from RightStuf and Amazon at stupendously cheap prices. But that original OVA series, whicvh Honneamise only released as a 3-Disc DVD box set? Well that commands $300+ on the secondary market due to excessive scarcity.

Later, Eastern Star was able to license and re-release Gunbuster 2 (OVA series) on a collected DVD. Honneamise had previously released the OVA on three DVD volumes. Now with this release, Eastern Star did force a price drop on the Honneamise volumes (which are still available dirt cheap from RightStuf and Amazon), as their release was the entire series on a single DVD at MSRP of $29.99. But one still has to question why any sane company would license a series that's been OOP for three years at that point and still has copies flooding the market?

Since then, Maiden Japan was able to license and re-release just 'Gunbuster The Movie' on DVD and Blu-Ray back in 2016, but nothing else. And the question with this that raised eyebrows was why did they even bother license rescuing this movie seeing as the Honneamise released copies were even moreso flooding the market in 2016 at rock bottom pricing than at present moment? No one seems to know, and Maiden Japan certainly isn't going to discuss it since it is officially OOP from them as well, with their copies also flooding the market alongside the 2007/2008 releases from Honneamise.

I think in retrospect that both Eastern Star and Maiden Japan likely got the snake oil salesman treatment when they licensed what they licensed, with the false hope that by licensing what they were allowed to that they could later have right of first offer to license the original OVA when whatever legality-issue is holding it up was cleared.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 06:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s crazy. I mean, it’s crazy you can keep track of all that crap!

I have the LD box, it’s got a dumb cover but otherwise I love it and it’s got the hooollly craaaap....

...wait, this can’t be just because of the Vangelis song, can it? IIRC they changed the soundtrack for the DVD, even in Japan, but I don’t have anything but the LD so I can’t say personally that it was changed.

On Earth, the training scene, Chariots of Fire is ganked wholesale, even worse than Asia was for Bubblegum Crisis. Could they be undecided about how to make a legal version of that? I know why they made the movie but maybe the movie is the only available version in the US because it omits Earth totally? Is this a WKRP sort of situation?

Last edited by signofzeta on 12 Dec 2019, 18:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 15:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, i'm hitting the second season of ORPHEN now, and... it is BAD. so bad that it almost makes the 1st season look great by comparison.

while the 1st season was well-animated, but with a poorly-paced, shaky story,
the 2nd, -with bad animation and downright stupid storytelling- is just plan mediocre all the way...

signofzeta wrote:
I’m sure what you are saying jives with popular and critical opinion. Everyone knows Patlabor is great and that other stuff is crap. You’re into some really bad doll anime though so we’re basically waiting for whatever it is you’re making us wait for, which we assume will be some relativist plea to let everyone like what they like or whatever after you explain that you don’t like Patlabor.

You should like it. Even though it depicts working adult professionals it’s still a lot like a high school anime in a lot of ways. They sit around a lot and make a huge deal out of beef bowl and minor social interactions as if they’ve never done either before. You love shows like that.

actually, while i like collecting dolls and figures of personal favorite characters,
i don't always automatically like the series they happen to be attached to. hell, sometimes i even rather pointedly DISLIKE them.

(( i'm looking at YOU, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ))

thing is, i tend to straddle the line. i'm an older-ish gen Anime fan, reared on many of the usual classics, most of which i still hold in highest esteem.

that said, i don't automatically despise post-Y2K/Moe Anime out of hand as if it was a direct assault upon every fiber of my being.

sure, there are METRIC TONS of PURE CRAP out there. but that happens to be a fact that has ALWAYS BEEN, even in the good-ole'-days.

by and large, time has swept away the offal of the past, leaving the gems to shine uninhibited.
i can only assume the same will eventually happen with postmodern 21st century Moe-heavy productions.
and make no mistake, there ARE post-70's/90's Anime out there worthy of being preserved in eternal esteem.

in the mean, as an "Otaku" i can only stumble along, taking avail of the opportunities occasionally presented to me
to try out series that appear promising to me, at least initially, and gradually filling the ever shrinking hole in my collection
that the bona-fide classics are intended to fill.

again, while my personal affinity for Moe female character design has proven to be a serious Achilles' Heel time and again in choosing quality Anime,
dammit, i just happen to REALLY LIKE Cute Anime Girls, and, last i checked, that wasn't exactly a Cardinal Sin.

in sum, let us just say that for me, these two disparate elements of Anime exist in harmonic equality;

tweeg wrote:
Here, I'm throwing in these recommendations since all of these titles are on sale with Sentai presently. These are all titles I've watched and recommend.

actually, i already own a handful of those;

* Angelic Layer (GOOD CONCEPT, DISAPPOINTING EXECUTION)
* Cobra the Animation (OK SERIES. ORIGINAL T.V. (which i also own) IS FAR SUPERIOR, ONE OF THE VERY BEST)
* Fate/Stay Night (TRASH. SELF-RIGHTEOUS MALE PROTAGONIST CONTINUOUSLY TREATS MAIN HEROINE LIKE DIRT)
* Golgo 13 (OWN THE "Professional" MOVIE. VISUALLY STYLISH, BUT FLAWED)
* Utawarerumono (FANTASTIC CONCEPT, PAINFULLY DISAPPOINTING EXECUTION)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 17:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Okay I'll bite, I'm really curious now. What are some of your favorite series tasuke? I'd say 10-15 would do if you don't mind.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 18:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Hyper Dokidoki Panty Hunter R
That one where the 12 year olds get married.
That one with all the frilly skirts.
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 00:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I want to check out some oldschool shoujo. Can anybody recommend anything besides Rose of Versailles?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 00:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I want to check out some oldschool shoujo. Can anybody recommend anything besides Rose of Versailles?

How old?

Hana Yori Dango (1997) is the absolute best.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 00:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

How old?

Hana Yori Dango (1997) is the absolute best.

'70s and '80s.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 00:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah, pretty much all my favorites are 90s or mid to late 00s so I can't be of much help there.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 10:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Fushigi Yuugi and Marmelade Boy were pretty enjoyable in the '90s. Are they shoujo? I used to watch em at the Canberra Anime Society waiting for Gundam 0083 or something really good to come on.

Top 10 series I have actually completed watching (After making this list I realised I really seriously need to actually watch a lot of shows I never finished), probably forgetting a few classics, series only:

1. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
2. Gunbuster
3. Video Girl Ai
4. Maison Ikkoku
5. Bubblegum Crisis
6. Gundam 0080
7. Megazone 23
8. SPT Layzner
9. Initial D
10. Orguss II

Honorable mention: "Let's go! Inachu ping pong club."

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 14:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Marmalade Boy definitely is. I haven't seen Fushigi Yugi but it seems to be in doing a quick check online.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 15:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Okay I'll bite, I'm really curious now. What are some of your favorite series tasuke? I'd say 10-15 would do if you don't mind.

* MACROSS (MAC. DYRL/MAC. II/MAC. PLUS/SDF MAC. T.V.
* Ai Yori Aoshi
* Chobits
* Steel Angel Kurumi
* GUNDAM 0083; STARDUST MEMORY
* MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM MOVIE 1 (Hilariously hammy English dub)
* Bubblegum Crisis (1987/1990 OVA)
* Card Captor Sakura
* SPACE ADVENTURE COBRA (T.V./MOVIE/OVA)
* Galaxy Fraulien Yuna
* Video Girl Ai
* CLANNAD
* FULL METAL PANIC; FUMOFFU
* Ah! My Goddess (OVA/T.V./MOVIE)
* MOLDIVER
* Hand Maid May
* CYBER CITY OEDO
* NAUSICAA
* My Neighbor TOTORO
* LAPUTA; Castle in the Sky
* A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
* Mahoromatic
* To Heart (ploddingly-boring series, but the Animation, Character Design, and a single character in particular, makes the series for me; HMX-12 "Multi")
* The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (T.V./MOVIE) (Again, TERRIBLE series, (but decent MOVIE) with lovely Animation/Chara Design, and a pair of Charas "Mikuru Asahina" and "Yuki Nagato" that sell the series to me)
* Comic Party REVOLUTION
* The VENUS WARS
* MADOX 01; METAL SKIN PANIC
* Shuffle
* MEGAZONE 23 (PART 1 ONLY)
* Rumbling Hearts
* Princess Tutu
* TENCHI MUYO! (OVA/T.V./MOVIE 1~2/Magical Project S)
* Jewel Bem Hunter Lime
* The Vision of ESCAFLOWNE
* Please! Teacher
* Devil Hunter Yohko (1/2/3/4/5/6)
* Tsukuyomi MOON PHASE
* Magical Shopping Arcade ABENOBASHI
* Strawberry Marshmallow

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 19:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Most of that stuff is really good although I’m not sure if you enjoy them in the way most people do. Like loving Gundam I for the dub...

What is so bad about the SOS Brigade? For a high school show I thought it was next level.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 20:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interesting, Tasuke, thanks for the reply.

I'd put Orphen on the level of some of those but we all grade things differently. Also the time in your life when you watch something can impact it as well.

I like most of that list too except for Melancholy of Haruhi (which I really could not stand) and then there are a few I just haven't seen.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019, 21:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What’s wrong with that show now? I was watching it as it aired so that was a long time ago. I remember the sci-fi stuff being pretty OG, the animation way above high school anime standards. I can’t remember if I saw the movie.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 00:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Most of that stuff is really good although I’m not sure if you enjoy them in the way most people do. Like loving Gundam I for the dub...

What is so bad about the SOS Brigade? For a high school show I thought it was next level.

yeah and a lot of those aren't series Tasuke.

Also, how can you lump Macross Plus in with the rest of Macross??, it's a totally different kind of show to the rest. I don't have a problem with you liking it but putting it in the same pile as SDFM and DYRL just because it has the name Macross is wrong.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 15:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

as well as enjoying 0083 as an all-round BEAUTIFUL piece of work, in nearly every sense...

signofzeta wrote:

the Animation and Character design is, in a word, GORGEOUS.

that said, i personally have a hard time sitting through all the Sick, Twisted, nonsensical crap going on all the time, especially to my poor little Mikuru.
there is a LOT of overtly and covertly-implied nastiness going on in this series.

yes, i know; some would likely insist that, well, "THAT IS LIFE, DEAL WITH IT."

Sure. all the same, what kind of Remotely-HUMAN human being would feel the least bit fine with themselves
pulling a pair of innocent individuals into a singularly twisted extortion scheme in order to effectively steal a PC?!?

that is but one of this series' many examples of aggressively-immoral indecency,
and as a person, i simply have a difficult time brushing it aside.

that said, the series, more specifically, original character designer Noizi Ito, DID give me Mikuru Asahina,
and for that, she, as well as the TMoHS series in general, will always be held by me in a somewhat-paradoxical state of High-Regard.

finally, i cannot seem to help but take umbrage with the metric ton of pretentious, "high-minded" twaddle
the series throws in your general direction, and passes off for an "overarching storyline"

perhaps i am just plain simple-minded, but all that that drivel seems to ever accomplish for me
is to remind me why i generally tend to dislike DOCTOR WHO. (which SHOULD be a GREAT series, but, ultimately, JUST ISN'T, at least not to me)

More Power to those who fancy either series, but, on the main, the "Meat-and Potatoes" of either one just simply is not-at-all for me...

forper wrote:
how can you lump Macross Plus in with the rest of Macross??, it's a totally different kind of show to the rest.
I don't have a problem with you liking it but putting it in the same pile as SDFM and DYRL just because it has the name Macross is wrong.

Ummmm, actually it IS MACROSS. as such, it IS part of the overarching franchise;

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 17:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, you’re simple minded. I’ll take that explanation.

I expect these criticisms for Patlabor; stuck up, pretentious, thinks it’s so smart, something about a high horse, all the stuff people say when they simply can’t handle anything more grown up than GI Joe and would rather listen to children talk about how to do their hair to attract boys than level the hell up.

Don’t paint me as a defender of SOS Brigade but what you said is exactly what I though you’d say. The scif, which is the only thing setting the show apart from the sort of gal get garbage you live off, you consider the most offensive element. Any time a story tries to be more than the most infantile merch delivery vehicle you drop these comments. You like dumb pervert anime. You aren’t going to like like Patlabor. They talk and talk and talk in that show. Sometimes it’s pretty grown up stuff about history and morality and getting a paycheck and wondering about the future and all that. Thinking about how your own brain works. It’s the most terrifying stuff on earth for a total shut in with ultra limited horizons. Trade it away for some Tokimeki Memorial catcher toys or something. To you, people only read books without pictures in them to fulfill an undeserved feeling of mental superiority over others, undeserved because nobody is actually smart or wants to grow. They’re all faking it and trying to exploit it. If we were all honest with ourselves we’d just watch shows where the hero walks into baths and gets bras thrown in his face every episode, right?

Re: Macross II

This show was about as direct of cash-in as possible. Almost everything in it is an incremental upgrade from the original, embarrassingly so. Each piece of military gear is a new version with the number slightly higher. The Misa is a pilot now, the Minmae is Zentradi, Hikaru can’t fly, but it’s the same thing. Thematically it couldn’t be more Macross. The money men were very old on this project I feel...

However, in almost every other way it’s not Macross. Macross was original, Macross II is embarrassing unoriginal. The main chara designer came back, but that’s about it. No Tatsunoko, no Studio Nue, no Kawamori. The creative thread was broken, big-time. Legally the shows very existence seems sketchy. The series itself probably wasn’t even made legally.

I love the designs but Macross isn’t supposed to be the same thing over and over.

Macross Plus is macho as hell and it turns me off big time but it does at least explore new themes and it’s depiction of AI idols and their holographic concerts are not only awesome but becoming closer to reality every day. The main theme makes it Macross.

Macross Zero is just unpleasant to watch. I don’t know if I consider it real Macross or not because I’ve never watched it a second time. I think Macross is supposed to be fun and somewhat light and this isn’t that so I’m not into it either way.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 17:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i've been in and out of the hospital for chronic medical issues a great many times in the last couple decades now.

in 2010, i was in the shop for nearly a month, and actually technically died on the table, though obviously ultimately resuscitated.

indeed, i am well aware of Reality. that is one reason why i enjoy losing myself in Fantasy whenever possible.

not everyone out there likes to wallow in the hard, cold truth of life. just saying...

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 17:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
finally, i cannot seem to help but take umbrage with the metric ton of pretentious, "high-minded" twaddle
the series throws in your general direction, and passes off for an "overarching storyline"

tasuke wrote:
that is one reason why i enjoy losing myself in Fantasy whenever possible.

This is why I thought you might like Orphen. Slayers is the standard but I think Orphen, Lodoss War and Rune Soldier are all at least watchable. These are some of the shut your brain off popcorn flicks of anime that I like along with shoujo.

signofzeta wrote:
Yeah, you’re simple minded. I’ll take that explanation.

I expect these criticisms for Patlabor; stuck up, pretentious, thinks it’s so smart, something about a high horse, all the stuff people say when they simply can’t handle anything more grown up than GI Joe and would rather listen to children talk about how to do their hair to attract boys than level the hell up.

Don’t paint me as a defender of SOS Brigade but what you said is exactly what I though you’d say. The scif, which is the only thing setting the show apart from the sort of gal get garbage you live off, you consider the most offensive element. Any time a story tries to be more than the most infantile merch delivery vehicle you drop these comments. You like dumb pervert anime. You aren’t going to like like Patlabor. They talk and talk and talk in that show. Sometimes it’s pretty grown up stuff about history and morality and getting a paycheck and wondering about the future and all that. Thinking about how your own brain works. It’s the most terrifying stuff on earth for a total shut in with ultra limited horizons. Trade it away for some Tokimeki Memorial catcher toys or something. To you, people only read books without pictures in them to fulfill an undeserved feeling of mental superiority over others, undeserved because nobody is actually smart or wants to grow. They’re all faking it and trying to exploit it. If we were all honest with ourselves we’d just watch shows where the hero walks into baths and gets bras thrown in his face every episode, right?

I would say he definitely shouldn't watch Patlabor 2, which is imo the best thing in the franchise but it's very Oshii as I'm sure you know. The series is a lot lighter from what I remember.

I wish I could give you a better answer on Haruhi but it's been about 8 years or so since I watched it. Maybe it got better later into the show. I do still have DVDs of the first season, but there is so much in front of it to watch. I can enjoy trash and think pieces for what they are, I really just don't remember why I didn't like Haruhi. It might have been the art style in part tbh.

Page 29 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 64  Next