It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Buggles Videostars - Top Hits [ONTV-02]
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 16:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

As I am out looking for the cleanest copy I can find of The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" I figure Laserdisk may be my best choice aside from a broadcast format.

I know that "video Killed the Radio Star" was released on this UK (only?) Laserdisk compilation
Videostars - Top Hits [ONTV-02]

One of my questions is how is the quality of the Buggles Video on that disk? Whenever and wherever I have seen this video it is plagued with Analog tape drop outs that I believe go all the way back to the production . These videotape dropouts are horizontal lines appearing in the picture.

Ultimately my goal is to get the best quality possible and do a restoration. I already restored the "official Vevo" copy from youtube as practice however that resolution with that compression is pretty limited. I have removed all tape dropouts, emulsion defects, dirt and hair in the film gate. My current Laserdisk Player is NTSC only and since this video is orignally PAL and PAL will give me the best quality I may be in the market for a PAL player if I end up buying a copy of this disk.

My goal is to begin restoring and archiving many of these videos , some of which are getting harder and harder to find.

Here are some videos where the official copies have been removed from YouTube
Dire Straits Money for Nothng
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Last edited by markosjal on 28 Oct 2019, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bugles Videostars - Top Hits [ONTV-02]
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 16:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Related: Are you interested in the I Am a Camera video? It’d kick in a few shekels for that project if it makes sense. I don’t have the disc though.

Sadly I have no info on your original question.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 17:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

markosjal wrote:
My current Laserdisk Player is NTSC only and since this video is orignally PAL and PAL will give me the best quality I may be in the market for a PAL player if I end up buying a copy of this disk.

Make sure you buy a PAL player that can play analog tracks.

FWIW, State of the Art of Computer Animation (1988) [ID5332PA] has the Dire Straits music video.

I'm actually hoping to get my hands on some '90s eurodance music videos, but I haven't seen any outside of those video jukebox releases that weren't sold to the public and I can't even guess how rare those would be.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 18:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Men Without Hats - Safety Dance is on Videohits - 20 Videostars (1983) [ONTV-04]

Got a copy but have not spun it for a while, the transfers were okay but not great if memory serves me (1984 PDO pressings) but will give it a spin when I dig it out & get back.

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 20:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Safety Dance / Men Without Hats is on Videohits - 20 Videostars ONTV-04

The start of side one has the copyright notice & it states that: "this VIDEOCASSETTE is licensed for home use only".

The picture varies quite a bit between the tracks & some are not good at all, may have been the quality of the masters supplied.

Many of the early UK PDO LD releases were very poor indeed with the picture genuinely looking like a VHS tape from back then.

The cover art for some also were just a direct lift from the VHS release - no real care taken & as long as the discs came off the line was all that appeared to matter. Things did improve but it took a while.

I am pretty sure I still have a copy of this one & when I can will give it a spin & get back, it might be a bit better than I remember.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Buggles Videostars - Top Hits [ONTV-02]
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 05:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi markosjal,

I have given both ONTV-02 & ONTV-04 a spin through, sorry to report these LDs may not be your best bet if looking for high quality - sadly typical early PDO pressings.

ONTV-02 is in mono & the picture quality is not good even looking past the lines/spots etcetera. This one has the disc manufacturing problems which were very common on many early PDO LDs. This one also has the discolouring on the disc that can happen to PDO LDs, blotches & spots but some other PDO LDs can go this way but it does not always affect the playback. If looking for the Buggles track Video Killed The Radio Star sadly it is poor on this compilation. It was quite a few years ago but a few copies have passed through my hands & all were very similar to the one I still have.

ONTV-04 which has the Men Without Hats track The Safety Dance is marked as a "STEREO VIDEO DISC" & it is a little better than the above but not by much, five of the tracks on this "STEREO VIDEO DISC" are in mono - The Safety Dance track is in stereo. Much the same issues as on the ONTV-02 disc but not quite as bad, still not that good though.

Given the (common) issues with many early PDO pressed discs you may find some copies a little better than some others but I doubt you will find a perfect copy playback wise which is a pity.

I wish I could report back more favourably but unless someone here perhaps can provide a perfect copy of one of these then it may be a fruitless hunt, they are still playable & of interest but not for your requirements I would think unless they are all you can find now.

I know it will not be much but hope this is of some help.

Good luck & hope you can find what you are looking for.

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 06:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

For anyone interested in this project I threw together a quickie page here http://www.retrotec.com.mx/retrovids .

The video "Video Killed the Radio Star" is the version I restored. It now has 256k Audio from the remasterd vrsion

The other two I found on YT and modified at least one of them , cropping it to get rid of Pillar Bars. The Pretenders is actually 1080P upscaled. The video part looks good bu the film quality seems to be like Video News Film quality.

The audio example I want to use is that of the "video Killed The Radio Star" , I just have not got around to the other two videos to try to re-sync them to better audio yet.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 06:24 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

je280 wrote:
Hi markosjal,

ONTV-02 is in mono & the picture quality is not good even looking past the lines/spots etcetera. This one has the disc manufacturing problems which were very common on many early PDO LDs. This one also has the discolouring on the disc that can happen to PDO LDs, blotches & spots but some other PDO LDs can go this way but it does not always affect the playback. If looking for the Buggles track Video Killed The Radio Star sadly it is poor on this compilation. It was quite a few years ago but a few copies have passed through my hands & all were very similar to the one I still have.

ONTV-04 which has the Men Without Hats track The Safety Dance is marked as a "STEREO VIDEO DISC" & it is a little better than the above but not by much, five of the tracks on this "STEREO VIDEO DISC" are in mono - The Safety Dance track is in stereo. Much the same issues as on the ONTV-02 disc but not quite as bad, still not that good though.

Both the titles you mentioned I have from other sources , neither is Great. I have no problem remuxing to CD audio as I had to do with both titles previously. Sometimes I get great audio with bad video on one copy and on another copy I get bad audio with good video and simply remux the two into one.

for instance I worked from the YouTube copy to do this resoration of Video Killed the radio star, then I manipulaled the playback frame rate so it would sync with the CD Audio. If played in a player like VLC or Kodi you will see it plays back at 25.02FPS instead of 25. That is because the new audio was a different duration (Analog days). I would prefer to re-restore this from a better source. I have never seen a "great" source for this video.
http://www.retrotec.com.mx/retrovids/?video=VideoKilledTheRadioStarRestored

I also found this on YouTube as well as some others, remastered to HD but the audio quality was horrible. I had a DVD with this same video and it was a perfect sync on remux with no frame rate manipulation.
http://www.retrotec.com.mx/retrovids/?video=Nikita

Same goes for the two Lionel Richie videos HD youtube source for Video and a DVD audio source, remuxed with no frame rate manipulation.

Very similar situation for this one Youtube video with CD audio.
http://www.retrotec.com.mx/retrovids/?video=BohemianRhapsody
Re synced to remastered CD audio by manipulating playback frame rate

My safety Dance version was also remuxed to CD audio. 128kbps just does not cut it for me.

BTW this is just a test page where I am testing on a domain I already had. It could go away at any time and I have been posting on average 1 new video per day. I am looking for a permanant home for this project.

I am less concerned about audio AND video quality as you can see there are ways around that. Remuxing is just a part of it all.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2020, 21:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The best laserdisc source for the video you are after is this NTSC promo which plays perfectly with no rot:
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 73 [10-467]

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 10:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
The best laserdisc source for the video you are after is this NTSC promo which plays perfectly with no rot:
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 73 [10-467]

Have fun trying to find one though!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 12:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Have fun trying to find one though!

A very good point takeshi.

Only one declared in collections here & how many were actually pressed?

That may be a very long hunt for a copy & not much fun.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 13:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's actually on my wishlist as well. Probably won't even be able to afford it if one ever does come up for sale. And it might not even come up for sale here, it might go up on ebay or something.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 14:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The highlight on that promo LD I referenced is actually Missing Persons - Words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ

Lady Gaga wasn't even born when that track came out in '82 but she sure looks like her and I can't help but think she borrowed most of their ideas and turned them into a multi-million dollar business.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 15:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I thought I heard Boney M in a kids movie and I mentioned it to my girlfriend and after some confusion it was determined that it was actually a Lady Gaga riff I heard. Gaga is like the Quentin Tarantino of pop.

...OK, maybe that’s going to far. Nobody beats QT for ripping s**t off.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]