It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:10

Page 34 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 16:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
PATLABOR T.V. is FANTASTIC, easily among the very best, IMHO.

the characters are written like REAL PEOPLE, lending a singular veracity that is exceptionally uncommon in Anime,
indeed, rather uncommon in any storytelling medium, really...

Glad you found one you are really enjoying.

That is actually part of the reason I like Cowboy Bebop so much. The characters are like real people, with real flaws. Not idealistic heroes and the like.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 17:19 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I should have watched the Japanese but they seem to be annoying but at least Nadia got sick saved by nemo so it will be getting different if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 18:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t even imagine how annoying an English language Nadia would be. Even in the Japanese the viewer sometimes wishes she’d fall off the damned boat and never come back.

I think the greatest harm the island episodes do is make you hate the main character.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 19:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

there are island episode like the one i just where the Garfish was on the other side and they were resting at Nemo's Island. then she and marie get sick. hopefully I wasn't delusional when I first watched THE Islands episodes which I probably will get too soon. the only thing annoyes me so far is Captain Nemo can't tell Nadia she is his daughter and shacks up with Electra (or was it the movie when she's pregent?)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 20:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When you’re on the island you’ll know. There will be no Nemo, no Nautilus, nothing cool at all. At one point they run into some Gargoyle stuff I think but mostly it’s just Nadia being a horrible teenage brat of the absolute worst kind while Jean just takes it. The animation was done in Korea for this part and yeah, you can tell. Then the main cast comes back the show ends in a really awesome way, then it’s over. By the end the title character is nearly irrelevant, sorta standing on the sidelines watching stuff go down.

My theory is that the end was made in Japan while the cheap-ass, almost action-free island episodes were being churned out by foreigners who were probably used to working on Ninja Turtles. This was probably the only way to have any good animation at all as this was already a total money loser for everyone at Gainax.

I’ve always wondered why the PC Engine game is also set on the island...it’s not much fun either.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 08:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Finally got around to watching the JP LDs of Genocyber that I got a few years ago. Never saw this back in the day, but probably wouldn't have appreciated it much if I had.

Liked this a bit more than I was expecting, the animation wasn't outstanding but was pretty good. The various stories were kinda depressing and I'm not a fan of gore, but only the 1st two episodes really had anything that was over the top. Thankfully no violence against animals, which I really hate (and yet I own anime like Lily C.A.T....).
The story in the 4th/5th episodes pretty much seems like it was written for different anime or something. Almost feels like a Final Fantasy VII anime, although still somewhat depressing.

The PQ of the LDs was great, too. Almost perfect film cadence when watched through my Sony Blu-ray recorder, and no ghosting or other crap that I often see on anime OVA LDs from the 80's or early 90's.

The 5th disc also includes a B&W insert with some pictures and interview with the beautiful Akiko Hiramatsu, who has been one of my favorite seiyuu since the 90's. She didn't have many lines though, despite being the main character.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 09:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've watched several things so far this month.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
This twenty-six episode series honestly should've ended with episode 13. It was miserably depressing crap to force myself to slog through watching. It's meant to be a over-the-top edgy mafioso type crime drama about a brain-washed assassin with no memories of his past. And again, it should've ended with episode 13 as that would've made for a fitting end to the crime-drama train wreck this series was, but no it had to go on and re-invent itself as a high school crime-love drama with a even worse ending than the one we got for the mid-season (episode 13) finale. Everything that happens after episode 13 was just torture to watch and felt like a completely different, but equally crappy, series. I believe contracting the Corona Virus would likely be a more enjoyable experience than watching this mess again. :sick:

Humanity Has Declined
Something certainly did decline, my brain cell count from watching that two-part story in episodes seven and eight of this psycho babble series creepily disguised as a little kid friendly-looking world inhabited with cute friendly fairies and brightly colored scenes. But the shock and horror that lets loose and transpires in episode 2 was a real eye-opener that this series is unquestionably not meant for children. And when I finished DVD 2 of the 3 disc series collection I had to step back and ask myself "Who the hell is the intended audience of this, this, this what even the heck is this!?!". I have yet to finish watching this series because frankly it was weirding me out in a "why am I even watching this?" sort of way. The series makes little to no sense at all and the episodes are not in chronological order to the events, rather episodes 1 & 2 thus far seem to be the latter part of the series? And everything from episodes 3 - 8 is earlier than episodes 1 & 2, and frankly it makes no sense. Recommended for people with severe mental issues and/or drug addicts. If you must watch, see only the first two episodes and then.... pretend that's all there was.

Gate
Pray for a season 2, this series is amazing and fantastic... and I marathoned through all twenty-four episodes in just two days. This was a very clever approach to a alternate world series that I've not seen attempted since Aura Battler Dunbine. But unlike that other series, this one isn't a sci-fi with giant robots. No, this is a war of the modern world versus a bronze age fantasy world, and just incredible stuff.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 10:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I certainly had a good time when I watched "Humanity Has Declined", so maybe I am the target audience, more or less.
That was already back in 2016 though, and I'm not sure I remember that much about the show anymore.
Maybe you could try your luck with "From the New World (Shinsekai Yori)" which is somewhat on the same level I think.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 12:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Started watching Fruits Basket with the wife. So far so good.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 14:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Haven't seen the middle one (never did pop up on my radar as something I want to watch) but I didn't finish Phantom and I enjoyed Gate. Not even sure if I made it to episode 10 in Phantom.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Video Girl Ai: vol.1 (1992) [VILF-20]

This show is really special to me. To me it IS anime, or at least the representative icon of the OAV generation. In the '90s after seeing the fansubs I bought the whole run of the manga and got translations off the early internet as well as the bootleg CD soundtracks from Chinatown. Katsuura is a master of drawing ultimate cute girls, the OAV version is perfect, the use of music, the animation, the pacing, the everything is so perfect and to see it finally on Laserdisc (my copies on VHS were really average and nth generation) is the ultimate. I just planned to watch 1 episode a night but it hooked me in just like it used to and I finished 4, saving the last two for tonight. The packaging is realy nice too. And CAV is a nice touch. I read I"s and saw the anime for that, one is really poor and another is passable but doesn't come close to the production values on Video Girl.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 05:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:
I certainly had a good time when I watched "Humanity Has Declined", so maybe I am the target audience, more or less.
That was already back in 2016 though, and I'm not sure I remember that much about the show anymore.
Maybe you could try your luck with "From the New World (Shinsekai Yori)" which is somewhat on the same level I think.

I don't hold it against you, sometimes these goofy series an be really entertaining, but this one, to me, was just all over the place.

Oh nice! Video Girl Ai has been on my wanted list now almost fifteen years, but rare to find in any format. The DVD is stupid scarce and I just don't care to pay $30+ for a used DVD. Last copy I ran across locally was about two years back for $40 at '2nd & Charles', and the case for that copy was quite beat up.

One other series I started watching just this month and didn't disclose last night as I discovered while typing about Gate that it was approaching 4a.m., yikes!

Black Clover
I'm now 101 episodes into this shonen series. Wow.... it got weird and deep with a plot twist I never saw nor could've predicted around episode 90 and has me scratching my head. Didn't know the series was ongoing when I started it on a whim back on January 1st, but yeah, it's ongoing, and apparently there's a ton of manga from it's ongoing manga to keep it going for many years. Fun series, honestly it wasn't terribly deep until that far in, but if you enjoy shonen series, give it a watch.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 15:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm surprised no one has picked up Video Girl Ai for another release. Maybe Viz still has the rights and they are douchebags.

I'm going to start Bobobo tonight. I'm not sure I ever saw it entirely when it was airing in the US and I've certainly never seen it subtitled, since all previous releases were dub only.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 04:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is absolutely hilarious. As expected the dub frequently strays completely from the original intent to try and make it connect more with American viewers. Did some checking on that early on and have been watching with Japanese audio since then.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 04:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
I'm surprised no one has picked up Video Girl Ai for another release. Maybe Viz still has the rights and they are douchebags.

I'm going to start Bobobo tonight. I'm not sure I ever saw it entirely when it was airing in the US and I've certainly never seen it subtitled, since all previous releases were dub only.

Video Girl Ai ran in Jump so probably anyone who wanted to release it would have to outbid Viz which is basically a weird arm of the same company. Totally separate but totally beholden.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 09:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Actually the pacing IS a little rushed in the last two episodes after re-viewing last night. Yeah I have to read the manga again..

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 04:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Galaxy Express 999 is quite enjoyable.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 10:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Havn't watched any amine before but going to watch Initial D,
Heard it would be up my ally
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 10:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Galaxy Express 999 is quite enjoyable.

The movies? Definitely.

The TV series? That's debatable.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2020, 14:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

jakeheke wrote:
Havn't watched any amine before but going to watch Initial D,
Heard it would be up my ally

You'll love it.

Page 34 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 64  Next