It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:57

Page 4 of 7 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 06:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
To my son's dismay I will not be viewing the next installment of Star Wars due out in December 2019.
I will live at peace that Episodes IV/V/VI will ever more be the gold standard in my memories, Episode I/II/III were decent installments with critiques. At least the prequels were palatable unlike the unmentionable team disney desecration of the continuation of the franchise.
(again, IMO !) :thumbdown:

It's easy, you just pretend that the last cuts of Star Wars were shelved and mothballed in a remote Nevada location in 1993..

It's kinda how I believe all edits, sequels to and cuts of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross were locked in a Shibuya train station locker circa 1992 and only a lowly and unassuming Big West employee has the key...

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 12:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s doesn’t hold up to any critical thought at all. Are the 10,000 crew on that ship also really into killing that guy? Oh, of course they are, they’re clones...just like the fans.

You crease me up sometimes zeta.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 14:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
* seriously, there have to be at least 15 episodes of Next Gen that are better than any Star Wars movie...easily.

Agree. It really is a great show.

What are some of your particular favorites?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
But beware, eventually you being open minded enough to question the greatness of new Star Wars movies may lead to you questioning the greatness of the old ones...and then what? What happens when you have to admit that not even Empire is that great compared to Bladerunner...or even one of the better episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation?*

Conversely, you could also come to understand that none of these even aim to be the same thing. They should be judged by the standards they've set for themselves. Star Wars is a terrific pulp adventure. Both Blade Runner and Star Trek are much more high brow, and thus come with different expectations. Of course you will always have people comparing apples and oranges, but these individuals are always the kind of rabid fanboys whose arguments boil down to Dragonball Z power level type nonsense.

JJ Abrams Star Trek was crap, compared to the Star Trek that came before. JJ Abrams Star Wars was crap compared to the Star Wars that came before. JJ Abrams has never made a good movie in his life. He makes movies that make a lot of money and that's what keeps landing him work. Other than that, he's nothing but a slightly more pretentious Michael Bay.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 18:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Abrams makes bad tv shows too. Neither Alias or Lost holds up to any scrutiny imo.

Last edited by gypsy on 07 Dec 2019, 22:33, edited 1 time in total. _________________
I have added a shop on lddb.com. Check it out, items are priced to sell.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 21:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You guys bring up some interesting insights.

Forper, spot on........ I really like the way you think man :clap:

Had to sleep on zeta's comments before sharing my own reply....
Funny to me how he should invoke "Empire" and then the direction of questioning even that installments epic accomplishment compared with my favorite Phillip K. Dick short story brought to the big screen.
(Philip K. Dick's Birthday this month by the way....... )

Yeah, when I saw starwars in 1977 I was a spry 11 year old.
You could have pushed me over I was so mesmerized. Had been flying spacecraft in my imagination for years and then this movie came along....
Sadly, after the glamour and awe of "EMPIRE" wore off I moved beyond that ewok level of entertainment to come next.
Really wanted to embrace return of the jedi however it seemed so forced acting wise that i lost interest in the first 10 minutes.....
Star Wars will always have a special place in my memories. It was and I guess still is an aspect of our modern contemporary mythology.
I guess I should increase my dosage of librium as I am opting out of team Disney's ongoing versions of that universe.....

In adulthood, especially my 40's, my time is spent searching for cinema that I enjoy vs being spoonfed cheap glam just to keep Hollywood afloat.
I enjoy being selective, and somewhat stubborn about what I pay for at the movies.... I go to the theater very seldomly.
Instead my choice is self programming at home with physical media of the various formats still available.
Thank the Sky God's that this form of cheap entertainment is and has been available.

For the record, if I were president, a presidential declaration would be made to ban all remakes of classic movies.
If writers cannot think up new screenplays from great novels, or get creative writing original s**t, then they do not deserve a paycheck murdering epic movies that people worked really hard at creating......

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 08:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agree with everything you say Firehorse. Remakes suck. I like that Hollywood Babbelon podcast segment "No thanks, we already got one..."

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 02:48 
Modern Girls.
Uforia.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 03:59 
Third post and above
Third post and above

A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2.

I know A Bug's Life got a late Japanese release, but it's dubbed only. Toy Story 2 never got released on LD, period.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 21:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
* seriously, there have to be at least 15 episodes of Next Gen that are better than any Star Wars movie...easily.

Agree. It really is a great show.

What are some of your particular favorites?

My favorite is Inner Light. The main plot device is pretty clever in itself, but this episode changed Picard as much as the Borg did. Easily the high point of the series for me.

That one where Spock’s dad gets old timers disease. For some reason I didn’t pay a lot of attention to this one the first five times I saw it but on my most recent go-through and it really had an impact on me. In a way I have to say this is bad TV writing. I say this because normally it’s not best practice to write some killer stream of thought that’s 90 seconds long and give it to one guy so he can read it straight into the camera. That’s almost always going to go wrong so it really shouldn’t be done...unless the guy reading it is Patrick Stewart and then you get the best TV ever.

The Borg two parter of course and the Family epilogue episode. The one where Data goes to court to see if he’s a slave. I like the ones where Picard talks a lot, obviously.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 07:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Gladiator would have been nice also, i remember a family member had ordered "Erin Brockovich" from a LD distributor but apparently tilte was cancelled and was refunded.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 08:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jakeheke wrote:
Gladiator would have been nice also, i remember a family member had ordered "Erin Brockovich" from a LD distributor but apparently tilte was cancelled and was refunded.

Yes it was: Erin Brockovich (2000) [LD 85710 WS]

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 08:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
jakeheke wrote:

Yes it was: Erin Brockovich (2000) [LD 85710 WS]

Julien

There we go, thanks Julien, i can remember her disappointment at the time. Tbh its not a bad movie/story may have to watch again over the long Christmas break.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 17:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've been trying to hunt down Warlords of Atlantis (1978). No LD release that I can find, no blu-ray, no Region 1 DVD. There appears to be a Region 0 bootleg, and a chopped up snippet version on Youtube - but I want a real release!!

I guess I have an agenda: I recently mounted an original Warlords theatrical poster. I own many of the other Doug McCLure Lost World type movies. My collection feels incomplete without this B-movie masterpiece. . .

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 18:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

spudeus wrote:
I've been trying to hunt down Warlords of Atlantis (1978). No LD release that I can find, no blu-ray, no Region 1 DVD. There appears to be a Region 0 bootleg, and a chopped up snippet version on Youtube - but I want a real release!!

I guess I have an agenda: I recently mounted an original Warlords theatrical poster. I own many of the other Doug McCLure Lost World type movies. My collection feels incomplete without this B-movie masterpiece. . .

Yeah, I watched that many times on HBO.

Loved the Bathysphere scene with the elasmosaurus type creature!

Can't quite understand why it hasn't gotten a good release anywhere!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 19:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

spudeus wrote:

Get the R2 DVD? It's a British release afaik, if there was an older R1 DVD release there's always a chance it would be improperly converted. PAL DVD has better PQ anyway so why look for a conversion?

Edit:
Looks like there's a "Doug McClure's Lost Worlds" 3 DVD R2 set available too.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 03:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There's also a (fairly expensive) JP DVD if you don't want PAL speedup: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07PJJFJ54/
[edit: I guess it's possible it could be improperly converted from PAL but I doubt it, never seen that on a Japanese DVD]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 15:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I guess I will have to break down and get a Region-free player one of these days; until that happens the PAL and Japanese discs probably won't help. Re: the UK 3-disc McClure set, Kino Lorber has released Earth's Core and Land that Time Forgot on blu here in the US, which is why the omission is so glaring. . .

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 16:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Powaqqatsi. A bit perplexing that Koyaanisqatsi got released twice in the US, but the 1988 follow-up apparently never got a laserdisc release.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 22:44 
Isabelle Mejias films:
the midday sun
fall from innocence
state park
higher education
julie darling this is on JP LD but that doesn't really count, it's also the only to have got DVD and BD releases; naturally it interests me the least of the bunch

Page 4 of 7 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next