It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:36

Page 8 of 13 [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please everybody be safe during the Covid-19 pandemic
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 19:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ironic that the last major pandemic was 100 years ago. That Spanish flu cut people down quicker then anything our generations have seen yet.
Healthy people caught it during the day and died that night.
There are only estimates of that flu strains casualties.
50,000,000 is the accepted worldwide tally.

The only reason I mention this is to take heart that this novel virus is not as lethal if the worldwide numbers are correct.

The people recovering stated feeling from a minor scratchy throat, to getting hit by a ton of bricks, to no symptoms at all.

Now we have seen the worst in Italy and China so far.
Make no mistake, this is far from over.....
However,
In ground zero the numbers of new infections in China are very, very low. And still to date there has been no indication of a second wave there.
Both these points are clear indicators that the people of the world will get this behind them.

I believe rein-o touched upon the fact that this is nature's way to cull the herd. Apologies for the coarseness of this statement true as it is.

The people (emphasis on our leaders) forget what is really in control on this spinning planet in flux......
Nature holds ALL the cards.......
We can work with nature and the biosphere or we can work against nature and the biosphere.
Plant either seeds of good or ill and watch them grow.

Not a climate change alarm sounder.
Just a descendant of several aboriginal tribes that RESPECTED earth mother and sky father.
The indigenous peoples of america had no term nor the meaning of the English words for "garbage", "freedom", or "guilt" among many other terms foriegn to Lakota Sioux.
I cannot speak of all aboriginal peoples, however a common thread in there existence was that they took what they needed, and only what was needed for the tribe.

When European conquest came to North America, the Indians died in the tens of thousands from a myriad of diseases they had no immunity to....... just a fact.
Apologies, I digress.....

Don't give up hope you guys.
Economically, this is like a reset of sorts.
I can grasp the virus thing however this economic debacle will be a whole other matter to sort out ..... worldwide !
Just take a breath, relax, tackle one thing at a time daily.
Slow down, sleep, tomorrow is a new day......

The Tibetans have a saying :
You never know when you're having good luck !

Lastly numbers are being agreed and definitive (so far !) :
Covid 19 can suspend in air, allow 3 hours before cleaning a room suspected of contagion.
It can exist intact on cardboard for 24 hours as previously mentioned.
It can remain on copper for 12 hours intact.
And the 3 days intact on metal or plastic surfaces has been reaffirmed by other research labs.
This means clean your environment, and clean often if evidence of contamination is in question.

If anyone finds conflicting or more recent research facts please post data.

Hang tough ....... We will persevere.....
Generations are going to remember this event.......

Condolences to the families of the people who have suffered and/or died............

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 20:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Ironic that the last major pandemic was 100 years ago. That Spanish flu cut people down quicker then anything our generations have seen yet.
Healthy people caught it during the day and died that night.
There are only estimates of that flu strains casualties.
50,000,000 is the accepted worldwide tally.

The only reason I mention this is to take heart that this novel virus is not as lethal if the worldwide numbers are correct.

The people recovering stated feeling from a minor scratchy throat, to getting hit by a ton of bricks, to no symptoms at all.

Now we have seen the worst in Italy and China so far.
Make no mistake, this is far from over.....
However,
In ground zero the numbers of new infections in China are very, very low. And still to date there has been no indication of a second wave there.
Both these points are clear indicators that the people of the world will get this behind them.

I believe rein-o touched upon the fact that this is nature's way to cull the herd. Apologies for the coarseness of this statement true as it is.

The people (emphasis on our leaders) forget what is really in control on this spinning planet in flux......
Nature holds ALL the cards.......
We can work with nature and the biosphere or we can work against nature and the biosphere.
Plant either seeds of good or ill and watch them grow.

Not a climate change alarm sounder.
Just a descendant of several aboriginal tribes that RESPECTED earth mother and sky father.
The indigenous peoples of america had no term nor the meaning of the English words for "garbage", "freedom", or "guilt" among many other terms foriegn to Lakota Sioux.
I cannot speak of all aboriginal peoples, however a common thread in there existence was that they took what they needed, and only what was needed for the tribe.

When European conquest came to North America, the Indians died in the tens of thousands from a myriad of diseases they had no immunity to....... just a fact.
Apologies, I digress.....

Don't give up hope you guys.
Economically, this is like a reset of sorts.
I can grasp the virus thing however this economic debacle will be a whole other matter to sort out ..... worldwide !
Just take a breath, relax, tackle one thing at a time daily.
Slow down, sleep, tomorrow is a new day......

The Tibetans have a saying :
You never know when you're having good luck !

Lastly numbers are being agreed and definitive (so far !) :
Covid 19 can suspend in air, allow 3 hours before cleaning a room suspected of contagion.
It can exist intact on cardboard for 24 hours as previously mentioned.
It can remain on copper for 12 hours intact.
And the 3 days intact on metal or plastic surfaces has been reaffirmed by other research labs.
This means clean your environment, and clean often if evidence of contamination is in question.

If anyone finds conflicting or more recent research facts please post data.

Hang tough ....... We will persevere.....
Generations are going to remember this event.......

Condolences to the families of the people who have suffered and/or died............

Thank-you firehorse.

John

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 21:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thank you also firehorse.

On another note to make a smile or think of something different or to even try other things.
We bought a bag of tortilla mix, I would never normally buy such a thing but since they don't have much flour or such I took the risk.

I'm now about 90% finished on making a tortilla press from some scrap wood and parts I have.
Never would have thought about making one of these before, if you are handy with wood and have some extra hinges then I would give it a shot
if you eat tortillas.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 23:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm still living with my parents and they came back home from a trip they recently had outside of Europe. Both my dad, myself and my twin brother (who drove them home from the airport) all got a strange sort of fever afterwards. Temperatures were high but could be handled with proper medicine tho shivering remained a problem when put to bed. Short but strong, random headaches combined with pain in upper stomach and lungs. Most notably however, no nasal congestion or aching throats, both of which are always issues for us whenever anyone in my family get sick.

With all of this in mind, I cannot exclude that Covid-19 may very well have been the cause. If so, then I'd be happy to inform you that both me and my dad have successfully recovered and will get back to work by tomorrow morning. Haven't heard anything from my brother yet but that's usually a sign that things have not gotten worse at least. And hopefully having had the virus will lead to immunity so I guess it's better to get through it now rather than later.

Despite illness is never a good state, while staying home I finally got some time to watch more of the Criterion 100 Years of Olympic Films box set and it's been magnificent. With this year's Olympic games being postponed to 2021, going through 16 Days of Glory (1986) in a single sitting is a real treat. Having seen Tokyo Olympiad a couple years back, I will instead invest some time on Sensation of the Century this upcoming weekend. :)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 01:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s weird how you guys seems to love saying “it’s just a way to thin the herd” as if nature actually had some editorial vision for human population numbers and was guiding the virus to reduce human population. There’s nothing like that going on at all. Humans “cull the herd”, the totality of nature itself has no such concept.

A foreign organism, previously unknown or perhaps previously non-existent, is having a very good 2020, humans less so. That’s all that’s happening. God is not hunting us.

...seriously. Think before you say things, especially misanthropic nonsense.

Tokyo Olympiad is one of my favorite movies. I love how the footage is so natural...rather than hyper cut to the frame with decade old dubstep sound over the top like pretty much all sports coverage these days (before they were cancelled.)

Related: Bandai was set to release some cheap LE Gundam and Haro kits in June with 2020 Olympic logos on them. If they haven’t been produced yet then I think we can consider them cancelled.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 02:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think it'll still be branded 2020 Olympics even though it will be in 2021.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 02:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadlegion wrote:
I think it'll still be branded 2020 Olympics even though it will be in 2021.

Or, maybe like this?

(If you know Japanese paperwork and bureaucracy, you'll get it!)

Attachment:
2021.jpg
2021.jpg [ 26.13 KiB | Viewed 1760 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 04:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s weird how you guys seems to love saying “it’s just a way to thin the herd” as if nature actually had some editorial vision for human population numbers and was guiding the virus to reduce human population. There’s nothing like that going on at all. Humans “cull the herd”, the totality of nature itself has no such concept.

A foreign organism, previously unknown or perhaps previously non-existent, is having a very good 2020, humans less so. That’s all that’s happening. God is not hunting us.

...seriously. Think before you say things, especially misanthropic nonsense.

Tokyo Olympiad is one of my favorite movies. I love how the footage is so natural...rather than hyper cut to the frame with decade old dubstep sound over the top like pretty much all sports coverage these days (before they were cancelled.)

Related: Bandai was set to release some cheap LE Gundam and Haro kits in June with 2020 Olympic logos on them. If they haven’t been produced yet then I think we can consider them cancelled.

Gotta disagree with that opinion about nature signofzeta. I did not mention God in my statement....
I did mention earth mother and sky father which really has no english translation, but we can get the concept of, hopefully, if we stretch........

In my opinion, and this was read growing up, nature has certain rules that are inviolate.
The wolves are a case in point, overpopulation of local fauna flourished where they were eradicated only to have wolves reintroduced in later decades.
The weak and sick are picked off from the herd to keep the herd gene-pool sound and evolving properly.
If an animal breeds successfully in season or a species specific timetable then it is mission accomplished for that year or specific animals evolutionary window. This I interpret as a rule of nature, a rule of survival. A code if you will.

Now this concept of one of nature's "rules" struck a chord in my early 20's -

When one species becomes a threat to other species, nature removes the threat.

This concept follows some aboriginal cosmology of mankind being one strand in the web of life, and not superior or inferior in any way.
What one strand does affects every other strand so extreme care was taken to NOT disrupt the balance of sky father and earth mother, or the "natural order" ......

Also, I read in Frank Herbert's novel Children of Dune, the quote by Paul Atreides 'Maud-Dib' as was rumored to be his final words before walking out to the desert to die....
"Now I do, what all life must do, in the service of life...... "
Turned out that when confronted by his son after the fact, that he never said those words, however he agreed that they were "good words".

This quote from the Dune Trilogy left me introspective and thoughtful about life and death.
How many of our cells died today so that our community organism can continue to have a heartbeat to move ocean like blood through many miles of big and small pipes within us.
Our body is basically replaced every three months give or take and system specific. Parts of us die daily to "live".
We are continually "renewed" over great distances of time in an average life. (Relative great distances of time lol).

I look forward to any members interpretation of nature's "rules", "codes", or "laws" as a point of further discussion.

My mentioning the culling of the heard did include an apology for "coarseness".
Nature is brutal, just walk outside at 30 below zero, or try walking across a desert, or better yet, if one really needs a wake up call, swim out into the Pacific ocean during a small storm.....
The result is, be humble and prepared or else face the ultimate result which is celestial transfer ! ! !

These examples are just crude daily experiences of people all over the globe dealing with and hopefully respecting the nature of this Big Blue Marble.

Humanity is incredibly resilient. We need to incorporate higher values of survival that include all spectrums of life in our biosphere.
It is in our and future generations of people's best interest to live in harmony with the biosphere, not in disharmony.

There are a myriad of examples from cultures that lived this way "naturally"..

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 08:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Deep
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 09:46 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Thank you also firehorse.

On another note to make a smile or think of something different or to even try other things.
We bought a bag of tortilla mix, I would never normally buy such a thing but since they don't have much flour or such I took the risk.

I'm now about 90% finished on making a tortilla press from some scrap wood and parts I have.
Never would have thought about making one of these before, if you are handy with wood and have some extra hinges then I would give it a shot
if you eat tortillas.

Haha! I'm growing corn this year. Gonna dry it and make cornmeal. Guess what I'm gonna make with that cornmeal? :D

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 09:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is a bit sad but this was bound to happen.

The way our household rubbish/waste is collected has changed here in the west of Scotland, recycling is not being given the priority it was (should go back to "normal" after we get through this time) & food waste now goes in with general landfill waste.

It has been noted that there is a marked increase in food waste being thrown out.

Tons of food still in the packaging is being dumped, bread, fresh fruit, vegetables & meat is now going to landfill waste sites.

The panic or more to the point & perhaps more appropriately the selfish buyers should be ashamed of themselves but given the character of many they will not care.

Thankfully now supermarkets are restricting the number of most items that can be purchased on each visit so that should ease off the disgusting waste of food over time.

Take care all, stay safe.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 11:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
It has been noted that there is a marked increase in food waste being thrown out.

I've seen pictures of people hoarding milk. Do these morons not know milk spoils quite fast?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 13:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

UHT milk keeps for quite some time just sitting on a shelf. That's what I've seen most people hoarding along with soy, almond and the other non-dairy types.
But yeah, normal milk doesn't keep. Freezing it doesn't really work either.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 14:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, UHT milk has longer shelf life, but these people are literally hoarding whole jugs of that stuff, not just cartons. Even with the extended shelf life, I can't imagine what kind of situation would require that much milk.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 14:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't think I was referencing any Deity.

The situation is almost like when I had a 10 gallon tank with goldfish.
Had 2 GF then it was cool, saw some other cool fish and picked up another GF and some tiny baby catfish type things that I was told would be fine
with the others.

My problem was that I now had 5 fish in this same 10 gallon tank, it got dirty fast.
But if you know anything about aquariums then you know you can change the water daily but the fishy will go into shock, if you wait too long
they will be in shock due to the dirty water.

Its just too small of a tank with too many fishy and it can never really be done, never had luck and the guy told me so.
When I went to 2 or 3 maximum Goldfish all was fine, could change the water every 2 weeks even with a large 20 gallon filter.

This is just nature or life. It really doesn't matter how the virus started or who created it this Blue Marble as Firehorse puts it, is only one size
and that's pretty much it.

I even remember another time when I had my fishy for about 8 months and these things were on them, I asked the store
and they said they were fish lice and to just pick them off.

I never brought any other thing into the tank for them to get these lice so where did they come from after 8 months, aliens????

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2020, 23:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Yeah, UHT milk has longer shelf life, but these people are literally hoarding whole jugs of that stuff, not just cartons. Even with the extended shelf life, I can't imagine what kind of situation would require that much milk.

I have 8 litres of UHT right now. Nobody else lives in my house, I mainly just use it with coffee and I don't give any of it to my cat.
Supermarkets here introduced a 2 container purchase cap (for all of it, including soy milk etc) a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 01:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Had to do an emergency run and was able to pretty much get everything I needed. Got the last two 40 pound boxes of cat litter..

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 01:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
Had to do an emergency run and was able to pretty much get everything I needed. Got the last two 40 pound boxes of cat litter..

I might need to get some more recycled paper litter before this is over. I do have a bit over 30 litres of it atm and also just under 10 litres of crystals (only used at the bottom of the trays).
Cat food I have around 3kg of dry.
Dog food I have somewhere between 25-30kg of dry and a dozen tins.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 02:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
The cases double each 3~4 days right now. So USA will pass China in reported cases within 2~3 days.
You can't stop it, these people are already infected but they don't know it yet.

That took 2 days... so we are on the pessimistic scenario path right now.

You can't negotiate with a virus, geometric rates of progression apply.

Seriously, the whole of USA has to shutdown ASAP!

Julien

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 02:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
I don't think I was referencing any Deity.

The situation is almost like when I had a 10 gallon tank with goldfish.
Had 2 GF then it was cool, saw some other cool fish and picked up another GF and some tiny baby catfish type things that I was told would be fine
with the others.

My problem was that I now had 5 fish in this same 10 gallon tank, it got dirty fast.
But if you know anything about aquariums then you know you can change the water daily but the fishy will go into shock, if you wait too long
they will be in shock due to the dirty water.

Its just too small of a tank with too many fishy and it can never really be done, never had luck and the guy told me so.
When I went to 2 or 3 maximum Goldfish all was fine, could change the water every 2 weeks even with a large 20 gallon filter.

This is just nature or life. It really doesn't matter how the virus started or who created it this Blue Marble as Firehorse puts it, is only one size
and that's pretty much it.

I even remember another time when I had my fishy for about 8 months and these things were on them, I asked the store
and they said they were fish lice and to just pick them off.

I never brought any other thing into the tank for them to get these lice so where did they come from after 8 months, aliens????

Jeez. You guys really got hung up on the God thing. I meant how Einstein refered to God, not Sunday school God.

To “cull a heard” is a human concept. Period. It’s what ranchers do. It’s done on purposed with the intent to generate specific results. Therefore there is no culling without conscious intelligence PERIOD. Therefore the virus is not culling humans PERIOD. If it were...then that would be God hunting us. A virus for sure has no idea that anything is happening. It cannot cull. It doesn’t even have a central nervous system or even an anus.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cull

What your people are thinking of is probably closer to the idea of equilibrium and I wound agree with that.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 8 of 13 [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next