It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD values stay high even if Bluray is released and better
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 01:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Does anybody else notice how a film on LD will still stay high even if it has been released on Bluray in a much better or
higher quality.

Just noticed The Night Porter.
The Criterion LD is asking 45 for 2 copies here on lddb while Criterion has also released this same title on DVD and Bluray.
I'm sure the Bluray is a much better 4k transfer but why is does the LD still have such a high asking price????

Even on Ebay there is a copy for 25 and 45.
I understand why some people, even me are asking a high price on some discs or films but something like this I just don't get it.

Post subject: Re: LD values stay high even if Bluray is released and bette
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 03:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Maybe people like the cover a lot?

I dunno. It's like that with a lot of horror titles as well.

There's a couple of really good blu-rays of Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2/Zombie/Zombie Flesh Eaters sourced from brand new 2k transfers (one even supervised by the original cinematographer), but I was offered $50 for the Magnum P&S LD of that movie.

I can only guess it's a collectibility thing

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 03:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ditto for The Time Rider, or UHF.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 04:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I sure hope the people buying them are at least watching the damn things

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 06:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No mystery to me.
LaserDisc is a collectable media medium.
By percentage, very few people worldwide have an operational LD player in their domicile.
However, the people with the itch know what they like and wish for their collection.

World market for EVERYTHING under the sun will be different going forward from the current crisis to be certain.

I for one am quite content spinning up LD titles as people around me complain about broadband demand and Netflix disruptions......
I just nod and smile on the inside ... ;^)
To me LaserDiscs are priceless.......

Cheers to the membership !

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 15:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:lol: Totally agree but was just wondering how these prices stay for certain items.

There are even the same issues with DVDs to Blurays, a certain film will be on DVD and OOP for many years and asking is something stupid like
lets say 60 bucks and then the bluray comes out for 20 but the DVD which should drop doesn't.

I can understand on some LDs but with something like a Criterion LD to DVD to Bluray I can't understand that one.

LD are priceless to me as well and was looking at my silent film collection to see that if I were to replace on DVD even they would be at least 10 bucks each.
So that's a risk I won't take.

As for horror titles I've heard and know some reasons that they want all formats etc.
But the Criterion to Criterion deal has be baffled.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 16:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Muscle memory. People don't want to let stuff go for next to nothing, they'd rather keep it so it's not like there is a huge influx of supply when a BD comes out.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 18:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I keep to a personal rule if it's on DVD or better, I'll buy the DVD or better. Whatever the highest quality copy available is. Only time I go for an LD is if it's not on any better format or if the LD version is unavailable on any other format.

The Godfather Saga and The Godfather Epic for example.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 19:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Great points, and I'm not even judging the whole late release or anything, or really judging anything just sort of asking for something where the value
issue isn't a point for a beginner film collector.

I understand the people who want to collect all the Criterion LDs but just don't understand how the value stays high on something like that.

Muscle memory is a very good point, but that stuff will be out the window when this PA Pre Apocalypse or Post Apocalypse thing is over.
All of this I can buy it brand new for X so I'm selling it used for X will be gone.

Collectible is another issue i.e. the Godfather set mentioned above but just regular Godfather, why? Other than being a completist.
And nothing wrong with being a completist.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 19:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Because perceived $$$ value spikes much much faster than it falls. Once something attains a high status for whatever reason, when those reasons change the thing itself is still considered special. It may be special forever because of how heroic it was at one time, now it’s a different kind of special.

This for sure happens with model kits. A new better one comes out...the old one is still worth hundreds. New stuff isn’t real...or it doesn’t seem relevant when you’re in this situation. A white label 12” is always cooler than a CD compilation with that same track on it, even if the 12” sounds like utter crap. I like old models and 12”s so I can speak from experience. With LD its complicated because the only real “first editions” are anime OVAs, sports, scenery discs, karaoke, and music. In the case of anime OVAs I consider the LDs of things like A-ko and Giant Robo to be the only OG version no matter what comes out in any format ever. Everything else is a reprint. The same would go for a lot of music stuff, especially elaborate concert releases from Japanese groups. IMO very few feature films have an LD I’d consider definitive because the LD is just a very inferior copy of a film and BR will do way better with that.

Nobody who loves their favorite thing cares that some Blu-ray came out and in your opinion destroyed the value of it. People who have wanted it for 20 years aren’t going to want it less because some other thing came out, short version.

And as for collectards, it’s simple. Low prices mean stuff is junk so if a $8 BR beats an $800 LD they don’t care.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 23:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
And as for collectards, it’s simple. Low prices mean stuff is junk so if a $8 BR beats an $800 LD they don’t care.

This is true but their logic sucks. Some awesome things are cheap, it does happen.

Totally agree about LD being the OG format for some anime. I really want to get AKO at some point. Might be easier to import and add subs than try to find all 4 US LDs.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 00:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Collectible is another issue i.e. the Godfather set mentioned above but just regular Godfather, why? Other than being a completist.
And nothing wrong with being a completist.

I thought about doing that with Back To The Future. But then you'd need VHD, CED, MUSE and so on. If there are extras on other formats that are not on the latest, greatest and best quality releases, then I'll pick them up when I can. Like the upcoming 4K releases of the trilogy for example.

As for anything else, nope, not for me. The Godfather Epic and Saga are different beasts though. Purely because it's the only way of getting those 7.5hr and 9.5hr (respectively) whopper all-in-one editions. Loads of extra footage, altered scenes and so on. There was an HD version of the 7.5hr version on HBO a couple of years ago, but it was via HBO digital streaming only or the cable channel.

I watch my stuff too and use my discs etc rather than have it all sat on shelf wasting time, money and space. Yes, I've watched the 7.5hr version of The Godfather in two sittings (over a weekend). The 9.5hr version I have yet to tackle!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 00:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I only own the 9.5 Godfather and have watched it, I think it took me a few sittings, 4 or possibly 5.
Didn't have the time to sit for that long at the time.

I do remember watching the 7.5 Godfather back in the day on TV, how much different is that than the longer version other than part III?

But I had to watch Solaris in 4 parts.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 00:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The 7.5 cut is hugely different. Literally light years of extra footage spliced in. Coppola then rearranged the two films to be presented sequentially.

Yeah HBO screened it a few times and also on their sister channel Cinemax. It was on their HBO Now SVOD service a couple of years ago, that's where I first saw it.

Done it in 2 sittings. The later 9.5 set I have, I've no idea when I'll get to that or how many sittings it will take.

A lot of folks don't like the sequential nature of the 7.5hrs cut. I loved it, especially the extra footage when Vito kills yer man whatshisname at the beginning. The fella in the white suit. Looks like the man from Del Monte.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 11:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

This is true but their logic sucks. Some awesome things are cheap, it does happen.

Totally agree about LD being the OG format for some anime. I really want to get AKO at some point. Might be easier to import and add subs than try to find all 4 US LDs.

Must have been lucky when I got mine. Can't remember online or offline. But versus is horrible. Wished I had all them with me but the series got separated at some point. Need the rest of my eurolite cases.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 21:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Must have been lucky when I got mine. Can't remember online or offline. But versus is horrible. Wished I had all them with me but the series got separated at some point. Need the rest of my eurolite cases.

Nice, eurolites. At least you know if nuclear war breaks out your LDs will survive it. 8-)

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 00:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, they are great to move your LD collection in.
Expensive but well worth it if you plan to keep LDs.
Get the half split they are better for displaying and you can keep the LDs in the cases when on display.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 03:42 
First post
First post

speedyink wrote:
I sure hope the people buying them are at least watching the damn things

Iam mean if they are why wouldn't they lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]