It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-919] Issues when spinning discs
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 12:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

So about a couple months ago I got my hands on a DVL-919 unit.
The player was badly manhandled by the previous owner/s. Numerous faults which I've now almost taken care of all of them.

The last thing giving me trouble is that it was not spinning any disc. Even CD's it would not spin.
So I thought to try and raise the level of the clamp assembly and see whether that might do the trick.

This is only a makeshift/temporary type of repair but at least now the discs do spin and the LD movie that I tried does play, but there is a type of grinding noise going on which I can't seem to remedy with any type of height adjustment.

I've also noticed now there are circular marks being formed around the center of the disc I'm using to test with.
So I'm thinking this is likely a grip issue, right? That the grip tape on the spindle probably needs to be replaced. And if I do that then I can set the clamp back to its original position/height.

Am I on the right path here, and if so, where would I source this particular grip tape and size from?

Post subject: Re: DVL-919 issues when spinning discs
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 15:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Seems like the platter on the spindle motor may have moved if you have to put adjustments like that.

Fix the problem rather than make a new one with those parts.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 16:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

spyrogyro wrote:
So I'm thinking this is likely a grip issue, right? That the grip tape on the spindle probably needs to be replaced.

I don't believe so. The DVL-919 should have the improved grip. Try cleaning it with a cotton swab damp with water. There might also be ball bearings in the clamp that could benefit from some white lithium grease.

Both of the above issues should make more of a squealing sound, not a grinding one.

If LDs do not try to spin at all with the clamp in the correct position, it could be a loading belt issue. The loading mechanism should raise completely, and the pickup should move.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 17:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
There might also be ball bearings in the clamp that could benefit from some white lithium grease.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply some white lithium grease there. But I had taken that clamp assembly out and put it in another 919 player to test. The discs play fine in the other machine.

Quote:
If LDs do not try to spin at all with the clamp in the correct position, it could be a loading belt issue. The loading mechanism should raise completely, and the pickup should move.

The loading belt is new. I made sure to get a few to have in case I needed them.

But I'll clean that grip, as you advised.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 20:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you've moved the upper clamp to another DVL player and there are no issues, I'm going to agree the turntable seems to have moved. Can you take a closeup picture of the turntable?

There is a set screw on the turntable that allows you to adjust the height, but it's very hard to adjust.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 00:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You should never have to add anything, you are adding a bandage to the real issue. With these players the spindle motor lower clamp has set screws to hold it in place. It is possible the height of the clamp on the motor shaft is out of spec. The spindle shaft should be just barely above the top of the CD centering part of the lower clamp when there is nothing pressed down on it. Then verify the rails/bars that hold the upper clamp are at proper height with the top line of the frame. I'd say you are getting rings on the discs as the space you've created does not provide the proper grip on the disc. As others have said the grip ring would not be an issue with the model. If you are hearing a grinding sound I would guess the RPM tabs on the lower part of the lower clamp on the spindle motor is rubbing against the RPM sensor plastic case (most likely the top) which again means the lower clamp is not proper placed on the spindle motor.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 09:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Ok I don't know how I didn't previously spot this.

That small clip/hook had broken loose and was partly wedged in there, when I noticed it just now.

So I take it then that this must be the reason for the disc spinning issues?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020, 03:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the part was wedged in so the black piece did not let itself be pushed down so the disc is on the white grip ring then that explains why everything was slipping and you have to build up the top clamping base holder. If you removed that and you can remove your modification then that would be back to normal. The clip you took out is what keeps the black piece from popping out and from getting too high and interfering with the tray as it has a spring underneath it pushing it up.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020, 06:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I attached that part back on. I used some Q-Bond adhesive.

The issue though still persists. The machine does not spin any discs when the clamp is at the normal height.

I'll go over everything again later today and see if I may have missed something.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020, 12:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
Can you take a closeup picture of the turntable?

There is a set screw on the turntable that allows you to adjust the height, but it's very hard to adjust.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 00:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You won't be able to lower the turntable. Doing so will cause the speed sensor to rub.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 04:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
You won't be able to lower the turntable. Doing so will cause the speed sensor to rub.

Ok but just out of interest though, where would that height adjustment be?

For example, for a Sony MDP-650 (as in the pic below) the height adjustment screw looks easily accessible.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 15:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Search up ball end allen wrenches.

You can get more of an angle.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] Issues when spinning discs
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 04:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Your spindle motor height looks good for the 919 series, don't mess with it. The black piece should push down now and the disc you are playing should be hitting the white grip ring. If all that is good then someone messed with the top most likely bending the rails or where they mount to change the height. Or they messed up the upper clamp piece.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 09:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

krbahr wrote:
Your spindle motor height looks good for the 919 series, don't mess with it. The black piece should push down now and the disc you are playing should be hitting the white grip ring. If all that is good then someone messed with the top most likely bending the rails or where they mount to change the height. Or they messed up the upper clamp piece.

This is what I did just now to try and eliminate any of those possible faults:

-Checked the position where those rails are mounted on, it looks fine. And checked the rails themselves as well. I used one of those level meters to make sure. Dead-on straight.

-Swapped out that upper clamp to another 919 machine. This is the 2nd time I've done this but I did it again anyway. That other 919 unit plays perfectly with that upper clamp.

-Took the other upper clamp from the known working 919 and put it in this 919 that is giving me the issues. It will not spin any disc at normal upper clamp height.

-Took out both rails of the faulty 919 and put them in the other player. No issues. Discs play as they should.

-Took both rails of the known working 919 and put them in the faulty unit. Discs will not spin.

I mean I can't think of anything else. If it's not the loading belt, not the upper clamp, not the holding rails and where they are mounted on, not the grip tape on the spindle, not the spindle motor height, then what?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 17:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'd load a CD into both machines (I'd do it with the tray out) and once in the clamp try turning the CD to see if the resistance to turning is the same. You may have a motor bearing issue with the unit that won't play.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 10:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

krbahr wrote:
I'd load a CD into both machines (I'd do it with the tray out) and once in the clamp try turning the CD to see if the resistance to turning is the same. You may have a motor bearing issue with the unit that won't play.

I just now tried as you suggested.

At normal upper clamp height, the CD resistance whilst in the clamp on the faulty 919 is very tight. On the working 919 it turns much more freely.
If I raise the clamp height the CD in the faulty unit turns a little more easily but still not as freely as with the working 919.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 21:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My next thought is the entire player mechanism. Perhaps the entire mechanism is too high - like there are spacers lifting it up. There are 4 securing points - 2 at the front and 2 about mid-way back. Are they resting on the floor of the player?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 22:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
My next thought is the entire player mechanism. Perhaps the entire mechanism is too high - like there are spacers lifting it up. There are 4 securing points - 2 at the front and 2 about mid-way back. Are they resting on the floor of the player?

That is a good point, maybe someone took the whole loading assembly out and did not get it correctly back into the unit. But the bad unit was still turning harder.

The other thing is the spindle motor could just be bad. If you remove the top clamp for both players and the spindle motor still turns harder you need to look into buying a new spindle motor.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] Issues when spinning discs  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 03:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

At this point I think I'm going to maybe just quit while I'm kind of ahead, I guess.

As was correctly pointed out earlier in this thread, I was applying a "band-aid" to compensate for the real issue, but the thing is I've now finally managed to get that upper clamp to a height where the LD's spin to where I'm comfortable with it. As a spare type of unit, I can live with this "fix".

I've uploaded to YT a short vid of it working this way.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]