It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-3080 vs LX-900u
PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 05:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just got a LX-900u. Comparing the two using this demo disc, it seems like the LX-900 is a bit better. Less noise and better colors. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: CLD-3080 vs LX-900u
PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 14:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

To my eyes I didn't care for the 900 but then again if its working its one of the best players as all working players are

The 3080 was used as the base for the 95 with some slight mods by Pioneer.
The 900 was used by another company and I can't remember who right now for their high end transport.

The 97 was used for Marantz's high end version so you would really have to compare the 97 to the 900 and see which is best.

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 20:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You are also comparing an older Pioneer 3080 which uses a design used for low noise thru PCB layouts and parts used with no Digital Noise Reduction, DNR, verses a Panasonic LX-900U which was also a very nice player but like all of the newer players used good layouts but not as critical as the 3080 with switching power supplies which can add noise and then use DNR to improve the picture. Pioneer, Panasonic, and all other companies that used these base machines both did this. The high end companies used Runco, Theta, etc. improved the Audio but kept the video the same except that Runco and MSB correct the LX-900U video AGC issues with dark scenes.

The 900 is a very player, the 3080 is a very good player but these are completely different animals. Every unit to every display can look different. Play them on an older analog TV and then on a new flatscreen and the preferred player could get reversed.

This is why I always say find what you prefer and enjoy, there are a lot of good players and the LD-S2 or HLD-X0 are the closest to perfect as the machine can get.

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 01:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
You are also comparing an older Pioneer 3080 which uses a design used for low noise thru PCB layouts and parts used with no Digital Noise Reduction, DNR, verses a Panasonic LX-900U which was also a very nice player but like all of the newer players used good layouts but not as critical as the 3080 with switching power supplies which can add noise and then use DNR to improve the picture.

The power supplies in the later players are awful.

I liken the later players to taking someone who can't sing into the studio and then adding autotune and other effects to make them sound good. I'm not saying the picture of the CLD-D704/99/etc is bad, it just looks different. A CLD-3080 will give you softer, more analog looking video. A CLD-D704 will give you sharper, more digital looking video. It is a matter of what you want laserdisc to look like.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]